What's new

Menthol 180!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:cuppa: I used to think menthol in aftershaves/soaps wasn't for me. A touch of the stuff, as in Floid Vigoroso, was OK ... but I saw others getting these frigid soaps and aftershaves, even adding drops or crystals of the stuff. Brrrrrr!

Barbasol Pacific Rush, for example. Dang, that stuff was just too cold. Winter's bad enough without your face hanging onto a freezing feeling.

But what IS menthol anyway? I had to look it up.

(not that wiki is really reliable, but good enough here)

It is natural. Extracted (frozen out of) from peppermint, wild mint and others.

It has tons of properties which are super beneficial to shavers. Counter-irritant, analgesic, anesthetic even.

It reduces itching, it's even a decongestant.

It works akin to peppers and capsicum; it's kind of in the same league, receptor-wise. Gawd knows good hot stuff is a life-changer.

I recently got a menthol soap, and used lightly or in combination with others, makes for some very interesting combinations! Chilly Tabac yesterday, for one example. I've also mixed Osage Rub with the Veg for "Frozen Veg" at one time.

Deciding factor came yesterday. Working on a roof, fixing something ... I was melting on that ladder. Sweat getting in your eyes; that kind of bad heat. Finally got a shower and grabbed that stupid soap! which worked as a fine shampoo by the way. That cool was a blessing indeed.

So I've seen the light. Who's a menthol-head, and why? How do you use the stuff?

AA

I like a little menthol "kick", generally speaking, but I don't want or need my face frozen. Personally, I've found happiness with Stirling Orange Chill as my go-to soap. If that's not enough Stirling offers some some soaps with more menthol, the Glacial series. For some other, non-mentholated soaps I use, I find Stirling Frost Drops very convenient. As for aftershave, I like Duke Cannon quite a bit.
Frost Drops.jpg
Duke Cannon.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’m a menthol-head because it feels nice. I dissolved menthol crystals in grain alcohol for use as aftershave. While I like mentholated pre shave and soaps, they usually dull my sense of touch too much, so into the aftershave it went.

Love menthol soaps. I have a few I like, but not as many or limited options. I bought 2 ounces of menthol crystals I put in a grinder to give aftershaves extra kick and put in my lathering bowl to mix with soaps. I can make any of my soaps as subtle or super mentholated as I want.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I bought a little squeeze bottle of Mama bears menthol drops many moons ago but never really used it, but do always keep a puck of chilled soap (first it was Vostok and now Cryogen) to use here and there, finished with Osage rub. I used to really like the frost, now its a very occasional thing.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Do you find your face gets "used to" the frost after a while? I don't know if it was just my mind playing games on me back then, but now, using the same stuff once in a blue moon makes my eyes water.

I posted this question in a club thread, but wanted to ask a broader audience; just out of curiosity. Mentholated soaps give my nose a tinge of Newport or Kool cigarettes (only tried Stirling Iced Pineapple and Orange Chill). It is almost like these soaps have been living in a smoker's house. Anyone else experience this? Is it common in all mentholated products? Might be something only a former smoker can relate to.

Definitely a menthol head.
Love the stirling glacials with black ice on top
Added frost drops to stirlings lemon ice to make it glacial.

there are however synthetic menthols like they are used in b&m terror which behave differently no eye watering or mind blowing stuff just freeeeeze.

since I contest easily I prefer the natural menthols as used by stirling.

simply buy all stirlings mentholated soap samples should keep you fresh for a couple of years….

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I posted this question in a club thread, but wanted to ask a broader audience; just out of curiosity. Mentholated soaps give my nose a tinge of Newport or Kool cigarettes (only tried Stirling Iced Pineapple and Orange Chill). It is almost like these soaps have been living in a smoker's house. Anyone else experience this? Is it common in all mentholated products? Might be something only a former smoker can relate to.
😉 No, but I got Vicks VapoRub for a while...

It's association. Like smelling rubbing alcohol and thinking you're about to get a shot.

Menthol is definitely another option in a shaver's arsenal of choices!

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I am not a 'Menthol Head' per say; I don't think I would enjoy extreme menthol type splashes like Cryogen or Snake Bite. I have owned Snake Bite in the past, but I only used it with experimental mixes.

80% of warmer weather, I do just fine with the barbershop and drugstore menthol splashes. Skin Bracer, Classic Aqua Velva or AV Ice Sport, Proraso, Etc... But for that other 20% of those dog days of high temps and raging humidity when out and about amongst the sweltering heat and masses of humanity?

I reach for the serious stuff... Bootlegger's Green Freeze & Bootlegger's Artic Lime Blast! :)

I use Proraso Green soap if I have irritation from the previous shave - works great to eliminate/prevent it during the current shave. Did that today.

Thinking about picking up some Stirling Glacial varieties or their Orange Chill the next time I buy soap.

Top Bottom