What's new

Men's Wearhouse?

So I see they've got a buy one get one sale going on. I probably wear suits only 3 or 4 times a year but I'm looking to round out my collection with a navy and a charcoal one. Additionally, I know nothing about suit quality/brands.

The question is, how good are the suits at the Men's Wearhouse? Am I wasting my money or are they a fair price, especially if I'd be spending about $250 a piece with the sale. I don't need it to be top of the line, I just want to know I'm getting my money's worth.

I can't speak for the quality of their suits but I can tell you that before I got married last August I almost went with the Men's Wearhouse for my tux rental. When I got there the girl working didn't help me in the slightest, nor could she answer any of my questions regarding tuxedos or accessories. I was also a little repulsed by the state of their 'test' clothing....the ones they have you try on after taking your measurements. The shirt I tried on had so many stains it was cringeworthy. I initially just decided to rent a tux through them to get it over with but cancelled my order the next day and went with a different store that was far more helpful.

rant aside, I can't imagine why their suits wouldn't be a semi-decent quality. so long as you get your suits tailored afterwards you shouldn't have any problems. although, as many have stated here, you could co with any number of other men's clothing retailers like Jos A Bank or Brooks Brothers for better quality suits.

I can't speak for the quality of their suits but I can tell you that before I got married last August I almost went with the Men's Wearhouse for my tux rental. When I got there the girl working didn't help me in the slightest, nor could she answer any of my questions regarding tuxedos or accessories. I was also a little repulsed by the state of their 'test' clothing....the ones they have you try on after taking your measurements. The shirt I tried on had so many stains it was cringeworthy. I initially just decided to rent a tux through them to get it over with but cancelled my order the next day and went with a different store that was far more helpful.

rant aside, I can't imagine why their suits wouldn't be a semi-decent quality. so long as you get your suits tailored afterwards you shouldn't have any problems. although, as many have stated here, you could co with any number of other men's clothing retailers like Jos A Bank or Brooks Brothers for better quality suits.

Go with Jos. A Bank or Brooks Brothers. They are far more helpful and they seem to have higher quality suits. I believe Jos. A Bank have a 70% discount sale right now.

Go with Jos. A Bank or Brooks Brothers. They are far more helpful and they seem to have higher quality suits. I believe Jos. A Bank have a 70% discount sale right now.

I LOVE Jos. A Bank. I'm an attorney and wear dress clothes all the time. Great store, good quality, and great prices. They have sales every day so NEVER pay retail. I think their internet/email sales are the best. If you don't know your size, get measured at Men's Warehouse. :)

I'm a small town lawyer, but if I were a big city lawyer, I'd be shopping at Brooks Brothers. Amazing stuff, amazing quality, amazing experience. If you're filthy rich, go there. If not, Jos. A Bank is the place to go.

BTW, I wear very traditional clothes, and I have some shirts from Brooks Brothers that are 15 years old that I still wear. They look great, and a traditional white oxford shirt never goes out of style. Neither does a classic suit, so you might want to check out Brooks Brothers.

The one time I went into a Men's Wearhouse, I spent ten minutes in there without a salesperson even looking at me. There were other people in the store, but there were three other employees in there not waiting on people. I sent an email to their corporate sight to give them a chance to at least respond, but in the last six months, I've gotten no reply.

MW used to have very helpful and knowledgeable staff and very reasonable prices. I have bought suits from them in the past. Recently, however, I have to agree that both the quality of the suits and help have gone down precipitously. Thankfully, I have managed to time my trips to Hong Kong when I need new suits.

I've heard good things about JAB, but have yet to shop there. I get all my shirts either in Thailand or Brooks Brothers. Now that I've discovered that their athletic fit shirts fit me perfectly, the trips to Thailand are less necessary.

I guess locality means a lot on this. I have been buying clothes at the same MW in Denver for several years and have always been impressed with their service, selection and quality of clothes. (No, I have no connection to the story other than as a customer).

I'm pretty hard to fit: I wear a 48R or 50R jacket and about 36-waist pants, so if I buy a suit, it always needs lots of tailoring. They have tailors on staff in the store, and any seam they touch, they will service for free for the life of the garment. I've always found the staff there attentive, knowledgable and willing to spend whatever amount of time it takes to get things right.

I've had no complaints with MW, and would recommend the store to anybody.

If you need a suit quickly, I'd agree with the Joseph A. Bank recommendations. There's ALWAYS a sale going on -- they occasionally have a buy one, get two free sale.

I don't know what the Black Friday sales will bring. But if you can wait until the morning after Christmas, Brooks Brothers usually has a great sale. Likewise, Nordstrom and the other high-end department stores have big sales.

Another possibility is to look at Nordstrom Rack or some of the other department store clearance shops. Saks has one ... forget the name, though ... might be Off Fifth.

You also might want to scan the askandyaboutclothes.com forums or styleforum.net. They mostly talk about high-end stuff, but they also know all the deals on high-end stuff ...

The service at the Men's Wearhouse near me has always been fine, but I've never personally bought a suit there. Bought some shirts and been with other people shopping.

I've heard that the lower end stuff at Jos. A. Banks isn't the best quality. But I guess I don't need super high quality stuff anyway since I rarely wear suits.

I'll check out those other forums, thanks.

I'm a small town lawyer, but if I were a big city lawyer, I'd be shopping at Brooks Brothers. Amazing stuff, amazing quality, amazing experience. If you're filthy rich, go there. If not, Jos. A Bank is the place to go.

Every once in a while Brooks Brothers will have some really nice sales. Check their website every so often.

I'm very unhappy with all my MW clothing now that I know what real quality feels and wears like. I would go with JAB. Much better, but not the best. Don't pay retail and be a sucker.

I have had good & bad to tell, all having to do with the help. The quality of the merchandise has been fine.

First person I worked with there did a nice job matching things up and was good to work with. But I realized later that the sleeves should have been the next size up, and they gave me a hard time about exchanging them.

Next I worked with a guy with whom I never had a problem. All clothiers should have guys like this. But they transferred him to a different store.

The last guy with whom I dealt left me cold. Worse, was that recently I went in with my teenage son for a shirt, and after measuring him, we went home, only to find the shirt was huge. The right thing to do would have been to tell us he wasn't big enough for them to serve yet. That one has lost me as a happy customer, which I had been until then.

I would stay away from Men's Wharehouse...their suits will be disintegrate in the rain. I'm not a fan of Jos A Banks either, but this is because their suits fit me funny (armholes to low), not because of their quality. I've found several websites that carry designer suits (Hugo Boss, Joseph Abboud, Hart Schaffner Marks, Calvin Klein, etc.) for a fraction of what I paid for them at Nordstroms. I bought a Hart Shaffner Marx Gold Trumpeter suit last month that retails at Nordstrom's for $795 from one of the websites for $295 and a Joseph Abboud for $199. I'm also on Brooks Brothers email list and receive sale notices, bought a BB tan cotton/poplin summer suit at the end of the summer for $199. There are some great deals out there if you know where to look and can be patient.

Another thing...I read in this months Esquire that Joseph Abboud now has a line at JCPenney called JOE. I think this may be a good option for under $200: Linky to Joeseph Abboud @ JCPenney.

Last edited:
I'm a fairly picky guy. I don't care for Jos. A. Bank or Men's Warehouse. JAB is better, but not worth the money for me. Brooks Brothers is quality, but if you want a really nice suit, go find a clothier that offers good stuff. FWIW, the saying "fits like a cheap suit" is popular for a reason.

I suppose I am really lucky in that I have never encountered an ill-fitting suit. Part of that has to do with the fact that I'm a rack-ready 42R with a 32" waist so EVERY suit pattern is cut precisely for my body. I can wear the cheapest suit at J C Penny's and it will fit without alterations.

I think we must distinguish between fits and fits.

The lower designation just means it fits you fine. Its not too big or small.

Clothing that truly fits you cannot be explained with words.
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Photos/AndySuit.jpg
http://www.keithjamesmenswear.com/images/bpk.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.com/media/2007/10/kilgour_bespoke_suit.jpg

Found this picture. Illustrates fit perfectly.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Their TV commercial states: "you're gonna like the way you look. I guarantee it."

That being said, I'd go to Saks OFF 5th Ave or Nordstrom Rack for a 1/2 price Burberry suit. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom