What's new

Men's Wearhouse vs. Jos. A. Bank

Are any of these higher-end retailers able to produce a suit that does not look like the wearer has stolen his little brother's communion suit? I look at Brooks Brothers' site, for instance, and even their "classic fit" suits have the wearer's belt buckle showing in the inverted V of the suit coat below the fastened button. Worse, they've dressed the models so that almost every one has the tip of his tie peeping out down there too, like a cat's tongue. I want an old-style suit where you don't see the belt buckle unless the wearer unfastens his coat.

Now I'm trim and of medium height. Is it possible to get a pair of suit pants that sit a bit higher than these low-slung near-casual things, together with a suit coat that is not so tight that you are desperate to get it off? Or am I talking a custom suit from the start?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Are any of these higher-end retailers able to produce a suit that does not look like the wearer has stolen his little brother's communion suit? ... Or am I talking a custom suit from the start?

I suggest, if you can, that you go to a high-end retailer in person. Explain to the clerk what you are looking for. A good menswear clerk will know which of their suits on offer will meet your requirements.

There is a certain "look" that is in fashion right now (note, "fashion" ... not "style"!) and most online retailer photos are going to replicate that look, even if it means there's a few binder clips in the small of the model's back to make sure you see his belt buckle and tie tip!

You never know until you try it on!

I suggest, if you can, that you go to a high-end retailer in person. Explain to the clerk what you are looking for. A good menswear clerk will know which of their suits on offer will meet your requirements.

I hope you're right. We have one great old-line retailer in town who might be able to help in that regard. Twenty-odd years ago I bought a nice 3-button sport coat from them which I still wear, and it is great, timeless stuff. It's not a convenient jaunt for me to go there, but then buying something I hate and which looks wrong will bother me a lot more for much longer.

There is a certain "look" that is in fashion right now (note, "fashion" ... not "style"!) and most online retailer photos are going to replicate that look, even if it means there's a few binder clips in the small of the model's back to make sure you see his belt buckle and tie tip!

I hope you're right about that too. It gets wearing seeing the same thing over and over on TV weather people, for instance, and then turning on a great old '40s-'50s-'60s movie and seeing Cary Grant or Gary Cooper properly attired!

I look at Brooks Brothers' site, for instance, and even their "classic fit" suits have the wearer's belt buckle showing in the inverted V of the suit coat below the fastened button.

I bought a suit from Brooks Brothers a couple of years ago. They had three or four ranges at that time. I think one was called Madison and it was full cut. There was a medium and a more modern slim cut. In addition they offered bespoke but the price was comparable to other bespoke places so there is a lot of choice. I ended up with a decent quality suit. The sleeves were had set and the label says made in Italy for what it’s worth.

I think Brooks Brothers also filed for Ch 11 so who knows what they offer now? I imagine the days of offices full of suited up workers are long gone. I almost never wear suits for work but like to have a couple decent ones to dress up a bit on weekends or social events.

Are any of these higher-end retailers able to produce a suit that does not look like the wearer has stolen his little brother's communion suit? I look at Brooks Brothers' site, for instance, and even their "classic fit" suits have the wearer's belt buckle showing in the inverted V of the suit coat below the fastened button. Worse, they've dressed the models so that almost every one has the tip of his tie peeping out down there too, like a cat's tongue. I want an old-style suit where you don't see the belt buckle unless the wearer unfastens his coat.

Now I'm trim and of medium height. Is it possible to get a pair of suit pants that sit a bit higher than these low-slung near-casual things, together with a suit coat that is not so tight that you are desperate to get it off? Or am I talking a custom suit from the start?

One thing I have done is buy a larger waisted pant and then have it basically recut. I don’t like a full-cut sack suit in the American style but I do like a higher waist on the pants. I normally go up a size (or two depending on the cut) and then have a tailor take in the waist whilst leaving a bit of room in the seat and slim up the legs.

I cannot stress enough that you really need to visit a store for this (which might be difficult right now) and go to a place which sells separates, which I believe Brooks does, so you can mix and match top/bottoms.

Top Bottom