What's new

Men's Wear Sizing Rant

Very frustrating in clothes and as mentioned in shoes as well. Allen Edmonds and Cole Hahn 9.5 every shoe, any other brand, all over the board, 9.5 10, and different widths.

Complicating matters, I've found, is that even within a brand, sizes are inconsistent.

+1

I suppose it's because different styles/line come from different factories. As someone has already mentioned, the whole idea of ordering clothes online is ridiculous for exactly this reason.

+1

I suppose it's because different styles/line come from different factories. As someone has already mentioned, the whole idea of ordering clothes online is ridiculous for exactly this reason.

Maybe for new stuff you've never had before. BUT once you've found the perfect fit, ordering online makes perfect sense. :)

Maybe for new stuff you've never had before. BUT once you've found the perfect fit, ordering online makes perfect sense. :)

Not always! Stores change suppliers often, and when they do so does the size, regardless of what they say the measurements are.

It can be maddening. I typically like the Stafford dress shirts from JCP. I can get them on the cheap, they last well, and are readily available in my somewhat rare size of 17.5/36-37. I picked one up recently, because I liked the color/pattern and it was on clearance. It was marked 'fitted', which usually tells me it just won't be so blousy, which I'm fine with. Well, it's not only not blousy...it's tight...IN MY FOREARMS! What the heck? I'm no Popeye. I can't imagine what stick figure would wear this thing.

Rant Part B: How in the world can a shirt's sleeve be 36-37? That always cracks me up. They aren't adjustable...

Torky,

Those are the shirts i go with in that exact same size! I too have had the forearm problem too, but since I hate button down shirts I always roll the sleeves any way. I'm 6'3" with a 34 waist, so I need a fitted shirt, but I also need a really long shirt. I was an early developer so I have the resulting gorilla body shape of relatively regular to short sized legs and a extra long torso and arms. Another great place I find shirts that fit is target.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Rant Part B: How in the world can a shirt's sleeve be 36-37? That always cracks me up. They aren't adjustable...[/QUOTE said:
The manufacturer cleverly discovered that by making the sleeve 36 1/2" (which is, of course, what it is) eliminated half the sizes they needed to make.

I try not to buy shirts with this kind of sizing as it makes my shirts 1/2" too long. And I am not fooled by the additional button (although if put in the correct place it keeps the shirt from covering part of my hand - and is so tight I can't read my watch).

Glad it's not just me. I have shoes from 10.5 to 12....and the size 12's actually feel a hair too small! Shirts and sweaters range from Med to XL. Pants are bit more consistent, but not much. Shirts are always tough because I really need about 17" neck if wearing a tie and that size neck doesn't usually fit my 5' 10" 180 lbs frame that well. But if I drop down a smaller size doesn't fit my neck, chest or shoulders. And yet if you saw me you'd probably agree that I look about as "average" size as can be.

Beyond the fact that there are no "standard" sizes for Med, Large, etc. there also isn't much concern for repeatability in mfg the sizes. My current company makes a measurement device that's been used in many garment cutting machines for decades now. It's a very precise device, but years ago the garment industry started sourcing much less expensive versions from China. I won't go into a buy American rant, but lets just say that those measuring devices are nowhere near as accurate, robust or repeatable. In fact when they want to make the high end garment cutting machines they still use our device.

Top Bottom