What's new

Mens Jewelry Box

Now that’s the ticket! I have been searching for something to hold mainly my watches, pocket watches & cufflinks.( I have roughly 40 pair of cuff links)

With that I could add my glasses and pocket knives too! Wow my wife would be so happy to get my stuff into one place

Is there a trick to buying these, good brand co name? I’ll do a search right now, THANKS!!!

Now that’s the ticket! I have been searching for something to hold mainly my watches, pocket watches & cufflinks.( I have roughly 40 pair of cuff links)

With that I could add my glasses and pocket knives too! Wow my wife would be so happy to get my stuff into one place

Is there a trick to buying these, good brand co name? I’ll do a search right now, THANKS!!!
The company who made mine is H. Gerstner & Sons. When I bought mine Gerstner had two lines, one made in the USA and another made in China. Needless to say the Chinese versions were about 1/2 the cost of the ones from the US. Cost savings came in a number of ways like the US versions being solid wood, vs. veneer and of course American craftsmen/women vs. a Chinese workforce which is....."encouraged". I purchased the Chinese versions off ebay and candidly was and remain impressed. The workmanship is really quite good and the materials par to what you'd find on a similar product manufactured domestically.

I just checked their website and it seems they've dropped the Chinese line and now everything is made in the US. Also looked on ebay and there's a limited number of "gerstner machinists chests" listed and most of those seem to be vintage ones used by actual machinists. While I'd liked to have gone the authentic vintage route when I bought mine I wasn't set up to do the clean up (living in a condo with all my tools in storage). Any real machinist's tool chest that's experienced a career's worth of use & abuse is going to be crusty. Don't get me wrong, beautiful character and patina but also marred with tool marks/gouges, cigarette burns, probably a patch or two and of course wood thats absorbed a hefty amount of machine oil The refurbed old ones look absolutely stunning and have great character but that restoration is going to take time and money.....a whole lot of spending money (sorry, broke into a little George Harrison there).

But search ebay for "machinist chest" and you'll find a few different brands. Some look decent, others are too cheap to expect anything good.

Hope that helps :)

Harbor freight has an 8 drawer for $75, it’s dimensions are: 16x20x10
That much bigger than yours?

I know harbor freight is junk but this isn’t exactly a precise piece of machinery for work, it’s gunna sit on my dresser..
If bought there I could just walk into the store and not pay shipping

The little one is 16"W x 8"D x 9"H, the big one is 22"W x 11"D x 14"H so about the same volume as the one from Harbor Freight. The cuff link/ring trays can be easily found on amazon/ebay

Princess Auto (the Canadian equivalent of Horror Freight) had something similar in stock last Christmas and I think they were asking ~$100 CDN so roughly the same cost as HF. Looked quite good in person but there were little things like the drawers were put together with butt joints vs. dove tail on the US & Chinese Gerstner's. But for an accoutrement trunk (that sounds much more manly than jewelry box) it would work just fine.

Interesting thread. Someday, I want to purchase a men's valet box along with a decorative 7 day straight razor box. At present I store my watches, lapel pins, cuff links and tie clips in the top drawer of my bureau. Kind of messy.

I have a small valet box, vinyl, that was a high school graduation gift back in 1963, and have used it since receiving it. It was a gift from a boyhood friend of my fathers, who has a rather interesting background. He was a bodyguard and courier for Gen. Eisenhower during WWII.

Interesting utility boxes. I remember this thread from years ago. Before I viewed page 2 of this thread I found this link for Gerstner International (label seen on @Canadian Mountain Man photo) and the prices look relatively affordable, though the dealer network looks thin.

The Gerstner USA items look nice but seem expensive even for domestic production, given that their construction looks to be pretty straightforward. I have limited wood working experience but for the $ (not the time involved to setup and learn) it seems one could visit their local big box hardware and buy the wood and tools and make their own boxes customized to their needs.

Interesting utility boxes. I remember this thread from years ago. Before I viewed page 2 of this thread I found this link for Gerstner International (label seen on @Canadian Mountain Man photo) and the prices look relatively affordable, though the dealer network looks thin.

The Gerstner USA items look nice but seem expensive even for domestic production, given that their construction looks to be pretty straightforward. I have limited wood working experience but for the $ (not the time involved to setup and learn) it seems one could visit their local big box hardware and buy the wood and tools and make their own boxes customized to their needs.
straight forward like you said not my style. I am going to be making an open top Valet, ordered leather for lining instead of flocking or felt. Not sure how thats going to work out need to read up more about gluing leather down. Will have to post pictures of my valet when it is ready.

Top Bottom