What's new

Men-U cream and new synthetic brush

I've been using the Men-U shave for some time now, and I have to say that it is a higly concentrated shave cream. If you use the cream without a brush, it still provides a decent shave, but if you use a badger brush....wow what a difference. Using my Savile Row SR-241 brush, I can easily generate enought lather for 4 passes. I find this to be the perfect cream for traveling as the packaging is incredibly small. I can't comment on the brush as I have never used it, but like Ron, I would have to agree that people get different results based on their lathering technique. Still though, this is a good cream and works very well for traveling.

guenron said:
Joe,
The guarantee is pretty solid. Oddly enough though, after reading the experiences of others, I suspect it is an issue of technique...

Right! So, buy one. It's not my money.

I think I'll check their site for how to get a refund.

Guy's I got my brush and shaved with it twice. The first time I used the sample cream they sent me. I could have used half the amount I put in my bowl. I had enough lather to shave 3 times. I got great lather and it feels good going on. It is softer than my Omaga Boar, but it's not a Badger silvertip feel. The next day I shaved with Taylors almond cream and used the pea size amount I normally use and it lathered up great with little effort. Again I like the way it feels when I put to my face. Bottom line, for the price this is a very good brush. We could save a lot of Badgers if we all switched to the MEN U brush, but we all know that isn't going to happen. If it wasn't for great brushes why did God make Badgers anyway?

Tony Espo

Hi Folks.

I am seriously considering one of these brushes, but just wondered if there is any more feedback available. I want the lather quality of badger, with the stiffness of boar....and of course (unfortunately) price is an issue. I currently use a large Proraso/Omega boar brush which I think is good,,,,,,but I fancy trying something different. I lather on my face rather than a bowl, as I want the exfoliation obtained in the process.

Anyway...life story over. Will this give me what I want?

Regards
Brian

Can't help you with the Men-U, but if you want a nice, inexpensive, stiff badger brush, try the Crabtree and Evelyn best badger. Great brush for $35. Ranks as one of my favorites, and many others on this forum have them as well. They appear sold out on the website, but the mall stores typically have them.

My Men-U brush hasn't been much of a 'bloomer', but as stated, makes a heck of a lot of lather and retains tons of water. I am satisfied with it. Yes, it has stiffness, but I am no brush expert.

I concur with Atnight. The brush lathers like a machine. You can "paint" the lather on or really scrub your face using the tips of the brush. I have to be careful, though (they CAN actually hurt) :blushing:

I have a good Omega brush, but I'm getting a notion to buying another one. Maybe a Muehle-Pinsel, or a Saville Row or maybe even a Crabtree & Evelyn one. I heard great reviews about all 3 of these. Which one could someone suggest?:confused:
Thanks,

Jeff

Don't forget the deal on Ashford.com either. They are selling a Super Badger 3.5 T&H brush with either a tube of the Almond cream and A/S Balm or a tub of the Almond cream. Someone here bought and posted pics. The deal is for $60, and this brush alone costs that much anywhere else, not to mention the quality goods that accompany it. If I was going for a small or starter badger (which I still may), this is the deal I'd probably do.

smoothfacejeff said:
I have a good Omega brush, but I'm getting a notion to buying another one. Maybe a Muehle-Pinsel, or a Saville Row or maybe even a Crabtree & Evelyn one. I heard great reviews about all 3 of these. Which one could someone suggest?:confused:
Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff:

I own two C&E brushes and two SRs. I also own a M-P but it's on loan to my son. It's also my least favorite brush.

Below are pix of the 4 brushes I own.

Far left - C&E best badger. This is the brush Scotto mentioned to Brian. Excellent small brush that I normally reserve for soaps. Scrub away with this brush, it can take it. $35.00

Next - C&E super badger. Approx 26mm knot. Very soft and luxurious. Some would describe as floppy or moppy. If you ue a painting motion, it works great. I tend to use it more with creams. If you like to scrub, it doesn't work as well. $85.00

Second from right - SR-231. 28mm knot. An interesting brush. It's sort of in the middle between the typical fan shape of a Vulfix or Edwin Jagger (who makes the C&E brushes) and the light bulb shape of the shavemacs. It has nice vertical strength (not floppy) and is relatively soft. You can scrub with this one if you want to. $82.00

Far right - SR-2136 super badger. 26 mm knot. Very nice brush with excellent vertical strength and very soft. More of the typical domed light bulb shape. Scrub, paint, it doesn't matter. It feels great. $135.00

full

Which one would I recommend? All of them. Sorry, I know that doesn't help much. The purpose here is to give you enough information to make an informed choice.

Good Luck

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,
I'm still quite happy with my Men-U synthetic brush. It does have sortof a bastardized feel between boar and badger, and makes LOADS of lather. I really like mine, it might be what you are looking for;
at least I like mine pretty well. It is my go-to travel brush, and often use at home brush, as well....
John P.

Many thanks for the input.....I do have a discount voucher from a site I have shopped on, and I am tempted by the Men- U Brush. I have always used bristle, and do not have a luxurious brush to compare with. The bottom line is....it appears to do what I want.

Regards
Brian

Jerry, thanks so much for the info, now it's going to be hard for me which one to get. I've been getting great lathering for my shaves with my Omega brush, but I'm ready to buy another kind. I'd heard a lot of good reports about the various M-P brushes. Let's see now!.....
Thanks again my friend :smile:

Jeff

Well .....all I can say is AMAZING!!!!! I will make my excuses by saying that I have only ever used Boar brushes.....but this felt so soft......and just kept producing Lather. I will only use a fraction of the Cream I have been using up to now.
Using a Merkur HD with a Wilkinson Sword Blade nearing the end of its life, and Taylors Almond...I have had my best shave ever.

Only downside.....I would prefer a little more weight in the handle.

Regards
Brian

Top Bottom