What's new

Memories from your first time wet shaving

Let's hear your memories!

I always hated using Gillette fusions, but that was the fad of my generation back in high school and college. I remember finally becoming fed up with them and asked my uncle for advice. That probably was not a good idea because he probably does 6 or 7 pass shaves with Gillette canned shaving cream and does a "touch up pass" with his old Schick Adjustable Injector. He would come out of the bathroom with so many pieces of tissues on his face that someone would think that he got hit with bird-shot! My aunt and I would laugh so hard that even he couldn't help but grin. Well, he dug around in his medicine cabinet and handed me a beautiful Schick Injector Type L. My first shave with that beauty was one I will always remember. Even as inexperienced as I was I had no more than one tiny nick, and a face as smooth as a baby's bottom. I was hooked from that point on.

$IMG_1516.jpg

My first ever shave was a wet shave, with an Omega brush and DVH soap. And a Trac handle, because that was what my dad used too.

My first shaving memories are watching him make lather, and shaving himself. We watched my granddad as well. He used Tabac soap.

I always used Palmolive cream before discovering B&B. Cheapo brush and some cart/disposable.
I was happy and I was saving money, just sayin' ... Still happy though.

I always used Palmolive cream before discovering B&B. Cheapo brush and some cart/disposable.
I was happy and I was saving money, just sayin' ... Still happy though.
And you were wet shaving ;-)

The Palmolive Classic products are still in my rotation. The cream is my regular travel companion.

And you were wet shaving ;-)

The Palmolive Classic products are still in my rotation. The cream is my regular travel companion.

Yup. It's great stuff. I just used it for so long that now I'm having a break ... :laugh:
Palmolive and Nivea creams are great value for the money though, and as you know they're everywhere.

Went to the Walgreens for another can of Barbasol. Walked past the Surrey boar brush and soap and decided that I was giving up canned foam for environmental reasons. Went home and did a one pass Atra Plus shave with the thinnest lather you could imagine. I used the same set up for a few years before being gifted a few pucks of GFT Coconut and an EJ best badger brush. I still used a weak lather for a single pass cartridge shave for a year or so. Not until discovering B&B and learning how pathetic my shaving skills were, did things improve.

There WAS no gel then. No disposable, no multi-blade, no cartridges of any kind. It was 1954. Chevies still didn't have an 8 cylinder engine, TV was still just black and white, and Rock and Roll was just getting started.

I have no idea which of several Open Comb razors I was handed was most guilty; I tried several. Only the Good Will, which had been practically new, survived the span of years, I think. I don't recall much about that shave. No one tutored me, I nicked myself quite thoroughly, and had no styptic pencil. The soap was whatever Mom put on the wash stand, and I lathered it between my palms before putting it on my face.

It wouldn't be until 1962 that I had any software product to shave with other than bar soap or a canned foam, when I bought a couple of shave creams, and it wouldn't be until 1968 that I used a shave brush to build a lather, but there was still no gel, and still no cartridge anywhere.

A Bic one blade disposable, the kind with an orange coloured handle, that were sold in packs of five. Being the mid-seventies, there was probably a can of foam involved. My repressed memory won't allow me to recall what the end results were like.

My first de shave.
Going to be a year ago in September. Jagger de-87, derby blade, Burma brush, and Williams soap. The soupy lather sucked as I had no idea how to whip up a proper lather and still think it was a miracle that I was able to get a bbs shave with only 2 small weepers on my first try. Haven't touched a cartridge razor since and have zero desire to even when I travel.

Last edited:
But, canned foam/gel is wet shaving. I'm confused.
You're fine. It's the terminology that's silly. Water is what counts. If your face was wet first, and you keep the razor rinsed, you are still dealing with water, and water is most certainly WET. Dry shaving is the old type of electric razor shaves.

"Classic" or "Traditional" would both be greatly superior terms for our interest, but the poor term as "Wet" has been used so long that in spite of its gross inappropriateness, it's what we seem to be stuck with!

I had been using the carts for years, and I remember my first DE wet shave as being rather nice, but the after the shave resulted in much razor burn and irritation. It took me a few shaves to realize that I was using way to much pressure.

Lemon-Lime shaving cream from a can (heated under the running hot water, and a Gillette Slim - Wilkinson blade, if I remember right. I was pretty clueless, but didn't slice myself.

Got into straights as when in student poverty in college. The Old Spice Soap and a brush was a lot better than the canned foam!

Last edited:
Top Bottom