What's new

Memorable Shaves

I've just given my gold dollar a honing session on my slate w/ slate slurry stone and I am pleased to report that it has finally passed a hanging hair test. Not sure if stroping with the tape still on the spine was helpful or not, but I finally have a "cut throat" that I would describe as "shave ready".

Pre-Shave: hot water
Lather: Proraso Green
Brush: Anbbas Synthetic
Razor: Gillette Flat Bottom New
Blade: Tiger Platinum (1)
Post-shave: Cold water and Fuar Ach Snog

This morning was my first shave with my NOS Flat Bottom New, it was a nice and smooth shave that left me with a Dfs. I look forward to my next shave with it.

Pre-Shave: hot water, GFT Ecuris Skinfood
Lather: TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: Anbbas Synthetic
Razor: Gillette Flare tip Rocket
Blade: Tiger Platinum (2)
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Fuar Ach Snog

Pre-Shave: hot water splash
Lather: Muhle Sandalwood shaving stick
Brush: Simpsons Classic C1 Synthetic
Razor: Gillette 1918 Old Type w/ replica Ball Handle
Blade: Wilkinson sword classic (1)
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food

I have decided to give my 1918 Old Type a spin this morning with a 2 pass shave. With cap riding it was nice and smooth as I would expect from a vintage Gillette. It still opened a lil cut, but it was nothing my alum block couldn't handle.

Pre-Shave: GFT Ecuris Skinfood
Lather: GFT Officer and Gentleman
Brush: Shavemac Beagle Black and tan bulb
Razor: Gold Dollar 208
Strop: Razoremporium Beginner/travel strop
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Fuar Ach Snog. 50 laps on strop

My Gold Dollar Gave me good dfs shave this morning with 2 wtg passes.

IT'S BACK!

I've just received my 1921-1928 Old Type that I sent to Razoremporium for replating back on December 5th. It looks brand new and I can't wait for my next shave with it.

Here are the before photos

Screenshot_20220111-140353_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220111-140358_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220111-140404_Gallery.jpg

And here are the after photos

20220111_133433.jpg

20220111_133503.jpg
20220111_133520.jpg

I think that for my next shave with this beauty I shall finally use the Gillette Blue Blade and the 1920 Gillette Boar Brush that came with the razor when I bought it on etsy.

Back in January I accidently dropped my Beagle thus causing its death.. :scared::crying:

20220113_004045.jpg

20220113_143853.jpg

And thanks to the wonderfull Bernd at Shavemac, and the relpacement handle that he sent me, its back from the dead. :thumbup:

20220211_161321.jpg

I have glued the salvaged knot from the old Beagle into the replacement handle using Loctite all purpose adhesive and so far it seems to be holding.

Pre-shave: GFT Skinfood, hot water, 50 laps on strop
Lather: GFT Officer & Gentleman
Brush: Shavemac Beagle, black & tan bulb
Strop: Razoremporium beginner/travel strop
Post-shave: cold water, alum block, Fuar Ach Snog & 50 laps on strop

20220214_090532.jpg

With the beagle finnaly back in action there was only one possible choice for what brush to use today, my lil beagle was just as goid as I remember. :straight:

Pre-shave: cold water splash
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T1 Synthetic
Razor: Gillette Old Type 1921-1928
Blade: Tiger Platinum (3)
Post-Shave: cold water, alum block & Fuar Ach Snog

After a week of shaving with my Gold Dollar, the Old Type impressed me anew with how smooth and fast the shave was. I can't help but wonder if this was how people would have thought about their 1st safety razor shave back in the 1900s.

Pre-shave: GFT Skinfood, hot water, 50 laps on strop
Brush: Abbbas Synthetic
Strop: Razoremporium beginner/travel strop
Post-shave: cold water, alum block, GFT Skinfood & 50 laps on strop

As I have the morning to myself I just had to make this mornings shave a really good one. Hot water in the shave scuttle always works a treat, as does my newly refreshed Gold Dollar. 3 passes later and I now have a bbs & dfs face.

I also have two new additions to my collection, a pair of John Heiffor Sheffield steel SRs marked "made for the army" probbably from the first world war.

20220318_154637.jpg

20220318_154627.jpg

I have given these two a good honong session today and I cant wait to start shaving with them.

I have the house to myself this morning, therfore I was able to enjoy a wtg, xtg & atg shave with one of my vintage Sheffield steel Straights that left my skin feeling bbs.

20220405_100511.jpg

Brush: Beagle
Razor: John Heiffor "Made for the Army"
Strop: Invisible Edge, Standard plus, canvas backed Hanging Strop
Post Shave: cold water, alum block and GFT Ecris Skinfood

Brush: Beagle
Razor: Gillette Flat Bottom New
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (1)
Post-Shave: cold water, alum block & GFT Ecruris Skinfood

20220414_100700.jpg

Every shave that I have had with my Gillette New has been a good one and today was no exception. I had a classic wtg, xtg & atg shave that left me with a bbs face with no alum feedback or irritation. :shaving::thumbup1:

It has been a while since I have used one of my straight razors, mostly because I have been enjoying my vintage Gillettes too much. Today I have decided to celebrate my day off from work with a 3-pass shave with one of my vintage straights.

Lather: GFT Officer and Gentleman
Brush: Shavemac Beagle
Razor: John Heiffor "made for the army"
Strop: Invisible Edge standard plus canvas backed hanging strop
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food. 50 laps on canvas & leather

20220419_092158.jpg

And the results: Bbs face and neck with no irritation :straight::thumbup1:

Before the shave while wiping the Mühle Maintenance Oil from the blade I noticed something on the spine
20220419_092313.jpg

It is difficult to see on camera, but the spines contain the words "Saturday" on one and "Sunday " on the other. Which as they came with a box for 2 razors means that they were probably sold originally as a 2-day set. Oh and if you are wondering, I shaved with Saturday.

I shall now celebrate my discovery with a cup of tea :cuppa:

Lather: Proraso Green
Razor: John Heiffor "made for the army"
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food. 50 laps on canvas & leather
Results: bbs no cuts or irritation

20220427_110556.jpg

My GFT Officer and Gentleman Soap has finally been used up. While having no scent, it had good slickness, even if it dried up quickly and seemed to prefer hot water to cold. I now intend to use up my Proraso Green, then the Proraso Red, before hunting for my next soap.

Lather: Proraso Red
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T1
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food, 30 laps on canvas & leather.

20220508_122407.jpg

I have finally used up my Proraso Green, so I can at last start shaving with the tube of Proraso Red that I have purchased ages ago. So far I find it to be comparable to the Green that I have been using for years, though it does feel a litte weird to use a Proraso shave cream that warms my face rather than rather than cool it :lol1:. I think that I might have some difficulties when the time comes for me to decide on the colour of my next tube of Proraso.

Pre-Shave: hot water & GFT Ecruris Skinfood, 50 laps on strop
Lather: Proraso Red
Razor: John Heiffor "made for the army " 6/8
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food, 50 laps on canvas and leather.
EDT: Brut

20220521_102523.jpg

It is a Saturday and I have the weekend off from work, I am therefore shaving with my Vintage weekend set. Today, oddly enough, I am shaving with the SR with "Saturday" on the spine. This was one of those shaves in which everything came together beautifully, the lather was near perfect, the blade still almost DE sharp and the results are bbs. It is shaves like this that remind me of why I love this hobby.

Pre-Shave: hot water & GFT Ecruris Skinfood
Brush: Simpsons Classic C1 Synthetic
Lather: Muhle Sandalwood shaving stick
Razor: Merkur 34c hd
Blade: Tiger Platinum (1)
Post-shave: Cold water and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food

20220524_084352.jpg

I didn't have time for a SR shave this morning so I had a quick shave with the 34c in the locker room before work. The lather seemed super slick this morning and my face feels dfs, I am ready to start my day.

Top Bottom