What's new

Members from India?

Hello Fellow Indian Brothers,

I am wet shaving since the time I started shaving( its 14 years now) started with local DE razors( ones you find in the chemist store) and blades, but because of lack of knowledge had to shift to cartrigde razors to prevent irritation. Never got a very close shave from cartridges, my beard is hard and dense. 3 Years back shifted to DE shaving after coming across some channels on Youtube. And I am so happy now that I did switch to DE shaving.

Here is what I have used so far:

Razors - Parker 96R, 91R and 26C ( courtesy Mr. Deepak Grover , CEO Parker Shaving), Qshave Adjustable, Baili 3 piece, Gillette 7'O Clock Sterling DE razor, Monarch TTO (bought from Ebay.in), Lancet DE Razor

Blades : 7'0Clock Black, 7'O Clock Permasharp Green, Wilkinson Sword, Laser Ultra, Supermax Stainless,Supermax Diamond Edge, Lancet Stainless, Topaz Stainless

Brushes - Omega Boar Brushes from flipkart, Trigodon Synthetic Brush - flipkart, Shaving Station Synthetic brush- Flipkart

Creams/Soaps - Biotique Bio Palmyra, Shaving Station - Bronco( Lime and Bergamot), Vi-John, Godrej Menthol, Godrej Shave soap puck, Supermax Ultimate lime shaving cream, Trigodon - Turqouise Dream soap, Healthbuddy Zerotox - both Mint and sandalwood soap.

Aftershave- Old Spice Lime, Old Spice Original, Vi John Splash, Park Avenue - Good Morning

Please let know if there are other products which are good and available in India.

Regards,
JQ123

How did you managed to get your hands on Parker razors? I also want to try those. Is there any way I can buy Parker razors here in India?
Regards

How did you managed to get your hands on Parker razors? I also want to try those. Is there any way I can buy Parker razors here in India?
Regards
For Parker-Apparently they are available on Amazon, but since Parker allegedly has a policy of discriminating against locals, (according to many posts here on B&B) you may prefer to avoid them.

The Feather Popular is on Shopclues for 899. IMHO, much better buy. If you have a imported goods shop in your area, it's still cheaper-I got mine for 650.

For Parker-Apparently they are available on Amazon, but since Parker allegedly has a policy of discriminating against locals, (according to many posts here on B&B) you may prefer to avoid them.

The Feather Popular is on Shopclues for 899. IMHO, much better buy. If you have a imported goods shop in your area, it's still cheaper-I got mine for 650.
Never heard of that policy. I've spoken to Mr. Grover himself. Lovely person to deal with. You just have to talk nicely. Feather Popular has a plastic handle and feels really crappy in the hand. Definitely go for a Parker or you can try a pearl. Both made in India. Quality products.

AK

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Never heard of that policy. I've spoken to Mr. Grover himself. Lovely person to deal with. You just have to talk nicely. Feather Popular has a plastic handle and feels really crappy in the hand. Definitely go for a Parker or you can try a pearl. Both made in India. Quality products.

AK

I have never spoken to Grover. I have, however, read multiple posts about Parkers alleged preference for not selling to locals. Which is why I , & possibly many others who have read the same posts have preferred to avoid contacting or dealing with them. Your experience may be a one of a kind.
Perhaps they could be a 100% EOU, in which case they aren't allowed to sell locally.

Yes, the handle of the Popular is plastic. But so was that of my Gillette Slim Twist, with which I shaved in the 90's. I've had no trouble with either razor. Both are mild shavers, which is my preference.

Besides, I like TTO's & Parker TTO's don't get good reviews.

Last edited:
I have never spoken to Grover. I have, however, read multiple posts about Parkers dislike for selling to locals. Which is why I , & possibly many others who have read the same posts have preferred to avoid them. Your experience may be a one of a kind.
It may be. But really I don't like to form an opinion just by reading something. Just saying...

I have never spoken to Grover. I have, however, read multiple posts about Parkers alleged preference for not selling to locals. Which is why I , & possibly many others who have read the same posts have preferred to avoid contacting or dealing with them. Your experience may be a one of a kind.
Perhaps they could be a 100% EOU, in which case they aren't allowed to sell locally.

Yes, the handle of the Popular is plastic. But so was that of my Gillette Slim Twist, with which I shaved in the 90's. I've had no trouble with either razor. Both are mild shavers, which is my preference.

Besides, I like TTO's & Parker TTO's don't get good reviews.
Your preference may not work for everyone else.

Regards

Hello Parveen, It is true that the Parker razors are not so easily available in India. However if you want to try those, best option would be to contact Mr. Deepak Grover and request him to guide you how you can procure them. I am quite sure he will help. Mr Deepak Grover is a very nice and helpful person. Contact through the Parker Shaving website.

Your preference may not work for everyone else.
Quite possible. After all, one of the basic tenets of B&B is YMMV. What works for me may not work for others.
Since I started shaving in the 80's, I've had several decades to discover what works for me, & what does not.
I do, however prefer the combination of mild razors with sharp aggressive blades, so Indian razors generally do not work for me. I have typically Indian oily skin, & a tough beard, & I am prone to PFB if I go ATG. I avoid overly aggressive razors, my go-to razor is the Popular with 7 o'clock blacks/Feather blades.

Since my last post here yesterday, I've picked up a Rimei A2002 tech clone, some Bic Metals, & replenished my stock of Feather Hi-Stainless. I also picked up some Dorco blades. I used the Rimei this morning with a milder Gillette 7 o'clock green blade . While not quite as mild as the Popular, I had no trouble with the Rimei when coupled with the green, & I had a smooth, hassle free shave. I am really impressed by the finish, build quality & the blade holding of this little razor. Most razors hold the blade by either the corner posts, slots or for some older razors by the dual positioning holes. This little Rimei uses all three for exceptional rigidity & a chatter free glide. It is shockingly superior to Gillette's own Indian tech clone(Sterling), & much milder. The Sterling is so aggressive that it is unusable without taping or reverse shimming, even with the mildest blades I can procure.

At a later date, I'd like to compare Gillette Guards with Bic Metals in a head to head comparison.

Last edited:
I am musing over the thought that we need to reach out to a vendor and request him or speak to him nicely for a sale. it is an established business practice by Parker not to sell in India but reap 500% profits of manufacturing costs in India for sale abroad where there are buyers. Before the Wet Shaving revolution on the internet and advent of forums like these, I have seen cheap knocks of Parker razors in Delhi, extremeley cheap, and literally junk. How much would we expect from a one or two dollar Indian razor.

Mr. Gorver has taken great strides by sensing the internet wave and reaping benefits.

I would instead look at the other Indian Vendor from Gujarat pearlshaving.com. He's been a source of amazing razors by well known vendors in the past including Italian Barber - Razorock Jaws, And many other open comb vendors stamping their name on Pearl Rajors. I have even seen Phoenxi SA source heavily from Pearl Shaving, a variety of their models.

Pearl Shaving (Mr. Dipesh ) sells razors in India on Amazon at far decent cost and not inflated costs of Parker razors. I also consider Pearl Shaving several notches higher in terms of build quality and QA. Agreed you may not see as many models, but give him a try.

Of late I have seen two models on his website, which till last year I used to see as a branded razor from a well known vendor in wet shaving circles. Not until I saw this model on Pearl Shaving that I realized that it was their manufacturing behind the scenes.

I am musing over the thought that we need to reach out to a vendor and request him or speak to him nicely for a sale. it is an established business practice by Parker not to sell in India but reap 500% profits of manufacturing costs in India for sale abroad where there are buyers. Before the Wet Shaving revolution on the internet and advent of forums like these, I have seen cheap knocks of Parker razors in Delhi, extremeley cheap, and literally junk. How much would we expect from a one or two dollar Indian razor.

Mr. Gorver has taken great strides by sensing the internet wave and reaping benefits.

I would instead look at the other Indian Vendor from Gujarat pearlshaving.com. He's been a source of amazing razors by well known vendors in the past including Italian Barber - Razorock Jaws, And many other open comb vendors stamping their name on Pearl Rajors. I have even seen Phoenxi SA source heavily from Pearl Shaving, a variety of their models.

Pearl Shaving (Mr. Dipesh ) sells razors in India on Amazon at far decent cost and not inflated costs of Parker razors. I also consider Pearl Shaving several notches higher in terms of build quality and QA. Agreed you may not see as many models, but give him a try.

Of late I have seen two models on his website, which till last year I used to see as a branded razor from a well-known vendor in wet shaving circles. Not until I saw this model on Pearl Shaving that I realized that it was their manufacturing behind the scenes.

I had also recommended Pearl Razors in an earlier post. Standard quality razors but of what I experienced, Parker seems to be slightly better. at least the variant because that's the only one I have. Pearl seems to have alignment issues. Keeping everything in mind, for the price and quality, Pearl would be a better option but Parker is not far behind.

You have to understand that, though India has been a wet shaving nation since very long, Gillette has been extremely successful in turning us into cartridge shavers. In comparison, shavers around the world have better stuck to traditional shaving methods. Especially the States. Hence more and more companies find it better doing business there. I think soon a lot of companies are going to find their way to India. Until then let's enjoy what we got!

Ayush, almost 10 years ago I purchased quite a few Parkers and then gave up on them due to severe quality and plating issues. I hear their QC has improved over the years and a 26c purchase when it was released seemed to show some improvements, however a lot of their TTOs I own have loose flimsy squeaky door issues, uneven blade gaps and a few more. On the variant I am on the fence with my past Parker experiece plus I have very satisfactory investments in Gillette fatboy, slims and super adjustable razors as well as Merkur progress, Futur / Rockwell 6C & 6S. Of late so many online vendors are bringing out aggressively priced offerings in stainless steel which is much better value for money than a Parker brass razor.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are several satisfied Parker users including my 26C eperience but in the hit and miss game, I got more misses than hits with a Parker. Not so for Pearl razors which I purchased not only from PearlShaving website but also as rebranded vendor razors. My favorite open comb head still apart from Fatip / gillette new LC is the Pearl shaving head which was on the RR Jaws, Phoenix Symmetry open comb and several cadet razors. Depending on when you started your wet shaving journey, you may or may not have heard of these legendary shavers of the past. :)

Cadet Pearl Razors Thread
Shave a buck cadet thread

Having close to a 150+ razors from all brands through the last decade both vintage, and modern, I now tend to go for something which is different from the usual lot of DEs. I am now inclined towards the Rockwell TTO adjustable to roll off the mill (RAD never dies).

Last edited:
I have been looking for an adjustable. After reading Ayush Kumar's post, I'd pretty much decided that I'd try contacting Parker for one. But I've been doing my research, which is how I stumbled upon the Futur clone on Amazon India (see my post above #91)
As most of us know, Parker's Variant is a version of Merkurs Progress. The original Progress is available on Amazon.in for Rs.5347/ - today.
https://www.amazon.in/Merkur-Progre...srs=3909074031&ie=UTF8&qid=1515057634&sr=8-10

Its 68USD on West coast shaving, so that price seems reasonable.
Both Parker Variant versions are 57USD on the same site.
Which should translate to about 5347*57/68 = Rs 4482 if sourced outside India.
But no, the Variant is Rs 8352/- , pretty close to twice that
https://www.amazon.in/Parker-Varian...qid=1515057788&sr=8-1&keywords=parker+variant

Why?
Because it has to be IMPORTED FROM USA.
At this point, I'm flabbergasted. I just don't know what to say.
Does Parker not monitor their products on Indian websites?

Looks like I'm going for the Progress.

Last edited:
Ayush, almost 10 years ago I purchased quite a few Parkers and then gave up on them due to severe quality and plating issues. I hear their QC has improved over the years and a 26c purchase when it was released seemed to show some improvements, however a lot of their TTOs I own have loose flimsy squeaky door issues, uneven blade gaps and a few more. On the variant I am on the fence with my past Parker experiece plus I have very satisfactory investments in Gillette fatboy, slims and super adjustable razors as well as Merkur progress, Futur / Rockwell 6C & 6S. Of late so many online vendors are bringing out aggressively priced offerings in stainless steel which is much better value for money than a Parker brass razor.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are several satisfied Parker users including my 26C eperience but in the hit and miss game, I got more misses than hits with a Parker. Not so for Pearl razors which I purchased not only from PearlShaving website but also as rebranded vendor razors. My favorite open comb head still apart from Fatip / gillette new LC is the Pearl shaving head which was on the RR Jaws, Phoenix Symmetry open comb and several cadet razors. Depending on when you started your wet shaving journey, you may or may not have heard of these legendary shavers of the past. :)

Cadet Pearl Razors Thread
Shave a buck cadet thread

Having close to a 150+ razors from all brands through the last decade both vintage, and modern, I now tend to go for something which is different from the usual lot of DEs. I am now inclined towards the Rockwell TTO adjustable to roll off the mill (RAD never dies).

Quite informatory! I was of the opinion that India made products do not stand the quality of there german or other international counterparts. My first razor was a Merkur 34c (Still the most trusted razor I have). I never liked the TTO's. I severely dislike the idea of moving parts holding on to my blade.
You are right when you say about other market offerings in SS and other materials at a much better price point. Parker does seem to be doing poorly in their pricing department.
I still continue to be of the thought that internationally made products go through a better QC process and hence better final quality. The variant was my only other Indian Purchase aside from the Pearl OC and a TTO (Quite flimsy and moved on from my den).

I have been looking for an adjustable. After reading Ayush Kumar's post, I'd pretty much decided that I'd try contacting Parker for one. But I've been doing my research, which is how I stumbled upon the Futur clone on Amazon India (see my post above #91)
As most of us know, Parker's Variant is a version of Merkurs Progress. The original Progress is available on Amazon.in for Rs.5347/ - today.
https://www.amazon.in/Merkur-Progre...srs=3909074031&ie=UTF8&qid=1515057634&sr=8-10

Its 68USD on West coast shaving, so that price seems reasonable.
Both variant versions are 57USD on the same site.
Which should translate to about 5347*57/68 = Rs 4482 if sourced outside India.
But no, the Variant is Rs 8352/- , pretty close to twice that
https://www.amazon.in/Parker-Varian...qid=1515057788&sr=8-1&keywords=parker+variant

Why?
Because it has to be IMPORTED FROM USA.
At this point, I'm flabbergasted. I just don't know what to say.
Does Parker not monitor their products on Indian websites?

Frankly, there are too many things to be pissed at and this seems to be a petty thing to waste your time with. Simply not buying the products from a brand you dislike is fine.
Other than this, the Variant from Mr Grover, cost my a total of 2600/- and 3 days of my time.
In my books its a much better investment than any futur CLONE.
But, to each his own !

Frankly, there are too many things to be pissed at and this seems to be a petty thing to waste your time with. Simply not buying the products from a brand you dislike is fine.
Other than this, the Variant from Mr Grover, cost my a total of 2600/- and 3 days of my time.
In my books its a much better investment than any futur CLONE.
But, to each his own !

2600? I thought it would cost me 8000+
I was pro the Progress not the clone.
But at 2600 its a great buy.
What's Grovers number?

It’s been a real eye-opener reading the recent posts regarding Parker razors. I was given a TTO as a sort of retirement gift about six months ago and have since used it approximately three times. Something about it didn’t feel just right and reading several of the recent critiques made me realize that it was the loose and flimsy feel to the doors that was causing concern. The five vintage Gillette TTO razors in my meagre shave den all have a more solid and secure feel when opening and closing the mechanism. On the rare occasions I used the Parker (sorry, don’t know the model), the ball on the end of the handle that opens and closes the doors would, when resting against my palm during shaving, inexplicably loosen. Not a good sensation when shaving!
When I just now dug out the Parker from the back of my razor drawer to inspect it and maybe find out what model it actually is, I discovered the plating had come off one one of the doors. This is after three uses? Not a quality product in my opinion.

EA5B0315-32CB-42B6-8489-76BACEA052B0.jpeg
3447C1F8-490E-4B71-8317-31ACDAD17BAB.jpeg

Top Bottom