What's new

Melting soaps without a microwave?

The mug lists that it takes the 2.5" soap so if you have that size, just plop it in there. If there is any extra room I doubt the puck will move around after a use or two. If you have the 3" size, you can melt the soap. If the mug can take the heat of resting directly on the bottom of a pan hot enough to boil water, your suggested method will work just fine. I would suggested cutting or grating the soap into pieces, putting them in the mug and then putting the mug in the water so the water doesn't flow over the top. I would try not to heat any more than you need to though.

-Collin

Depending on where, you are, put your soap in the mug and leave it in your car for part of the day. I made the mistake of leaving one of Mama Bears soaps in my car last week...pure liquid!

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Depending on where, you are, put your soap in the mug and leave it in your car for part of the day. I made the mistake of leaving one of Mama Bears soaps in my car last week...pure liquid!

Randy
That is one way to keep your lather hot!

Here is a general guideline for changing the shape of your soap.
Try to scratch the surface of your soap.

If it scratches easily and the piece that is scratched away stays together you most likely have a MP soap. This type of soap can be melted in the microwave (carefully, in short bursts) directly in a heat safe container. Let the soap cool and it is ready to use.

If it is difficult to scratch or the pieces scratched away are brittle and crumbly you most likely have a CP of milled soap. These soaps chould not be put in the microwave. If the puck is too large for the bowl the easiest way to get it to fit is carefully shave the edge down with a vegetable peeler. When the soap is the correct size wet it slightly put it in the cup and drop the shavings on the wet soap. The shavings will glue themselves to the rest of the soap so nothing is wasted. This soap is ready to use as soon as the soap dries and the pieces are secure. If the size must be changed drasticaly the best way is to finely grate the soap, add a very small amount of water (1/2 tsp for 1 puck), and heat very slowly and gently over indirect heat. This type of soap will usually soften at 180*F. Once the soap is a paste consistancy let it cool in the desired container. It will take 2-3 weeks for it to get back to its origional hardness as the water added needs to evaporate.

Either of these methods may change or weaken the scent of the soap as some fragrances are fragile when exposed to heat.

HTH
J

I have to politely disagree with the heating of soaps, mine in particular.

I can't and won't speak for anyone else's products but.... FYI to any Saint Charles Shave customers; as indicated on my website, I guarantee Customer satisfaction of my soaps as long as they have not been degraded by any deliberate method of applied heat.

Sue

Sue,
Admittedly, I've never used any of your soaps thought I've been eyeing the "Shamrock" for a while. So, do you have an opinion on the correct way to melt soaps? Or do you basically think it is a bad idea and should never be done. I'd be very interested in your opinion on the matter. Thanks!

Sue said:
I have to politely disagree with the heating of soaps, mine in particular.

I can't and won't speak for anyone else's products but.... FYI to any Saint Charles Shave customers; as indicated on my website, I guarantee Customer satisfaction of my soaps as long as they have not been degraded by any deliberate method of applied heat.

Sue

Sue
Would you elaborate on this? As a loyal user (and melter) of your product I am more than casually interested. :blush: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thanks,

I don't guarantee my soaps if they have been melted as melting may cause separation. Additives are constantly mixed until reaching the correct pouring temperature which suspends things such as my clay mix. If you melt the soap and cause separation; when you shave, you will not be fully benefitting from some of the ingredients that give my soaps a great shave.

I had read this thread earlier today and decided to experiment in our hot St. Louis area heat. I placed a cake of soap on the driveway in the full sun (shade temp was 102) for a full two hours. It was spongy soft, somewhat the feel of tofu or a dampened sponge, but not melted to liquid. It did not in any way separate. Fully melted in a microwavable cup it did.

Melting entirely cold process soaps or milled, require the bars be grated and then melted along with the addition of liquid. Sometimes referred to as rebatching. It is something I've tried a few times and found the process to be unrewarding in results and also the time and effort required not worth it either. That is my personal opinion only....YMMV.
Sue

Top Bottom