What's new

Melted Van der Hagen into a wooden bowl.

So as the title says. I melted some VDH soap into a wooden bowl (Art of Shaving). Not sure it was the best move. I’ve noticed discoloration around the edge as if the wood stain is leeching into the soap. So I’m gonna scrape out the soap and call it a loss. Don’t want to risk that stuff doing something bad to my face. I guess maybe this is a warning. Not the best idea.. stick with a ceramic or metal bowl.

I use a wooden bowl but I took one of those blue 3M abrasive wheels to the inside first and then waterproofed the inside of the bowl. I didn't melt the soap into it though, I took soap shavings and then compressed them into the bottom of the bowl. I also didn't put the entire soap puck in there (wanted to try it out first and see how it worked) - so far the small amount of soap shavings are working great and lasting a long time. I think I'll just add some more soap shavings every month or two and keep the larger part of the soap puck dry and ready to shave flakes from when I need to recharge the bowl.

They make water resistant finishes for wood, some are food-safe (used for salad bowls, etc.) Maybe that would work.

I've also seen how at least one soap maker (Saponificio Veresino) uses a PET plastic lining for their soap refills so they can be easily swapped in and out of their shaving bowl, which is made of alder wood. Alder is usually fairly resistant to moisture.

1671941812893.png

I use a wooden bowl but I took one of those blue 3M abrasive wheels to the inside first and then waterproofed the inside of the bowl. I didn't melt the soap into it though, I took soap shavings and then compressed them into the bottom of the bowl. I also didn't put the entire soap puck in there (wanted to try it out first and see how it worked) - so far the small amount of soap shavings are working great and lasting a long time. I think I'll just add some more soap shavings every month or two and keep the larger part of the soap puck dry and ready to shave flakes from when I need to recharge the bowl.
This is what I do with my hard soaps. Lets me rotate through them regularly.

Top Bottom