What's new

Melted ink sac, gooey mess!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I was inking my faithful '37 Sheaffer Junior and noticed it was only filling two or three drops of ink. Luckily I didn't just clip it to my pocket and head out to work.

I later opened it up and found quite a gummy mess! No that's not tar but it sure looks like it and stickier than chewing gum on a hot day. If you think it was easy to pull that one chunk out from the end of the barrel you've got another thing coming! I'm still trying to get the last of it (and pieces of Q-tip) out from behind the pressure bar.

proxy.php

What a mess! Years ago (2003?) there was a bad batch of sacs but I don't think this was one of them. This failure came after three years of use and was probably some chemical reaction to a certain ink or combinations of ink residues. I've seen failed melted Vac diaphragms and other gummy sacs but this was oddly localized to only the last half, the end opposite the section, and it was holding the ink and never leaked.

Yikes, Doug! At least you came out relatively unscathed! Save that lump and put it in someone's stocking for Christmas! :laugh:

Now you've made me slightly paranoid, as my favorite pens are vintage lever fillers. I've seen disintegrated sacs in a couple of Wearevers, that I restored, but haven't yet had one go bad like that while I've owned it. Well, just another reason to pay attention to the condition of my pens, I guess.

Top Bottom