What's new

Melt and pour soap fun

In another thread a user mentioned she had shaved with Goat's Milk soap and enjoyed the slipperiness. It just so happens that many years ago in a fit of madness I purchased a pound of melt and pour shave base, along with a pound of goat's milk soap base and I'd made a number of small pucks of shave soap using some fragrance oils I purchased with it. The remainder of the soap base was in a box on my crafts shelf.

Well 5 minutes after reading that post I had a mixture of half shave soap and half goat's milk in a plastic container in the microwave being nuked in 10-second intervals. As soon as it melted I added a few dashes of Old Spice Classic AS until I liked how it smelled, and I put it aside to firm up.

Well, I grabbed that little puck this morning and hit it up with my RR synthetic brush, and started lathering it up in a bowl. I found it needed a pretty good amount of water, but I had loaded it pretty thoroughly so it was thick when I started up. I ended up with a perfectly fine lather. I hit my face with a Wizamet Super Iridium in my SLOC and had a great shave. I mean that hardware combo really doesn't need much help so it's not a great test.

So it worked fine. I'm not claiming it was a life-changing experience, but it was certainly enjoyable ( especially since I've been looking for an Old Spice scented soap for a while ). I think it is worth using again, and I bet I have enough of the soap base to make 5 or 6 more small pucks so if I do like this I can make a few more. Added bonus is post-shave feel is fantastic :)

Last edited:
You might grab a used stainless double boiler, don't know if it would help. I got one off Etsy for all my concoctions. I haven't tried soap making yet...

You might grab a used stainless double boiler, don't know if it would help. I got one off Etsy for all my concoctions. I haven't tried soap making yet...
I have some of that type equipment for when I melt candle wax so if I get into larger runs of product I’ll drag some of that stuff out.

This is fun!

Mixed up another 50/50 of shave base and goat’s milk base and scented it with lavender, mint, and lemongrass. It was a very pleasant shave.

In another thread a user mentioned she had shaved with Goat's Milk soap and enjoyed the slipperiness. It just so happens that many years ago in a fit of madness I purchased a pound of melt and pour shave base, along with a pound of goat's milk soap base and I'd made a number of small pucks of shave soap using some fragrance oils I purchased with it. The remainder of the soap base was in a box on my crafts shelf.

Well 5 minutes after reading that post I had a mixture of half shave soap and half goat's milk in a plastic container in the microwave being nuked in 10-second intervals. As soon as it melted I added a few dashes of Old Spice Classic AS until I liked how it smelled, and I put it aside to firm up.

Well, I grabbed that little puck this morning and hit it up with my RR synthetic brush, and started lathering it up in a bowl. I found it needed a pretty good amount of water, but I had loaded it pretty thoroughly so it was thick when I started up. I ended up with a perfectly fine lather. I hit my face with a Wizamet Super Iridium in my SLOC and had a great shave. I mean that hardware combo really doesn't need much help so it's not a great test.

So it worked fine. I'm not claiming it was a life-changing experience, but it was certainly enjoyable ( especially since I've been looking for an Old Spice scented soap for a while ). I think it is worth using again, and I bet I have enough of the soap base to make 5 or 6 more small pucks so if I do like this I can make a few more. Added bonus is post-shave feel is fantastic :)
Glad to help. :)
Sometimes it has the residue feeling, but its just like some body lotion cream has already been added. I definitely don't feel a sense of dryness after shaving when I use it. I'm guessing a number of women, if they didn't have heavier/darker hair, probably used bar soap. I can't see back in the day many men would be sharing their puck, and before can foam was readily available and cheap, that would be the way. Probably socio-economic factor too. So, long after inexpensive foams were around, me and probably a lot of others kept on using soap. Plus, I never really liked can foam, and the gel that turns to foam was more expensive and didn't last long.

I love your experiment! A great way to play around to get your own scents! Someone else posted (maybe on the same thread?) about playing around with glycerin soap as well. Maybe I'll play about more with combinations and scents if the soaps I"m ordering don't turn out well (I'm not too worried about quality, Caties Bubbles and Declaration, but its always hard to know about scents if you haven't had them before).

I usually just buy Life Brand (think CVS in the states), but I'm sure its probably a similar mix as the Caprina brand that I get when its on sale, and its ingredients are:
Ingredients: Sodium Tallowate, Aqua, Sodium Cocoate and/or Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Caprae Lac, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Titanium Dioxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Benzyl Benzoate, Eugenol, Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.

80149434-2158-4CB9-A866-8A19895A59BB.jpeg

Played around last night. Bay Rum Ginger Lime. Smells great. I really made this to be a pre shave product to leave in the shower.

Always enjoy hearing about experiments like this as someone who also likes to blend different soap components.

Top Bottom