What's new

Melbourne, shorten the sails...

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Statistically speaking, by that rational, we should get quite a few 'good' forecasts then!? ;)

Statics and weather forecasts. :)

statistics_postcard-r022966d172334dd0adc3d417e13355a4_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg

It looks like most of this first batch of rain has been to the north of Melbourne and then down through the eastern suburbs and into the western parts of Gippsland.

They’re still predicting that a low will form in NE Victoria sometime tonight. If that’s anything like the low that formed in Gippsland in June 2007 it won’t be fun. There was so much rain above Licola that it caused the river level metering on the Macalister River to be washed away.

We’ve had good soaking, just over 30mm, with a few more hours of rain to come. Looking at the radar it may be a little heavier so we should get close to 50mm.

There’s some big totals up north with a couple of BOM rain gauges between Euroa and Mansfield showing just over 180mm since 9am yesterday.

Well, the whole thing was a bit of a non-event in the west of Melbourne. We had 35mm on Friday evening, 75mm on Saturday and barely enough to register on Sunday. None of it came down in a hurry so there was no flooding to speak of, couple of closed roads and some silly people driving through water that was deeper that they could handle at 60km/h, but that's it.

I had a colleague some years back who destroyed an Audi diesel driving through a flooded street. Turns out the intake was in the cavity in front of the front wheel well. I diagnosed hydraulic lock and a failed cylinder head/gasket when I heard it (it was still sort of running afterwards), but Audi took three weeks to work it out. Unbelievably it also managed to bend a conrod and keep running! Another four weeks later he gets the car back and destroys another engine because, while rebuilding the engine, Audi forgot to install the little key into the driveshaft before installing the timing belt/chain gear. When the torque on the bolt was no longer enough it bent 4 valves. I think he traded it after that.

So, yes, if it doesn't have diff locks and a snorkel, keep it out of the river!

Strange place for an intake when you consider that it doesn’t take a lot of water to destroy a diesel motor.

My thoughts exactly. He reckons it was only about three inches of water, though I'm not sure that was an accurate guess. :)

Top Bottom