What's new

Melatonin

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I will add this. I've also had good results with L - Tryptophan capsules.

500 mg about an hour before bed. No sides effects to speak of for me.

I take melatonin about an hour before going to bed. The body naturally produces melatonin, but in smaller amounts than most melatonin pill doses. For that reason I take a 300 mcg (microgram) tablet rather than a higher dose. Works great. YMMV.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've been using Melatonin in chewable/dissolving form on and off for years. I'm a light sleeper and have over the years, suffered from insomnia once in awhile.

Recently I have discovered that some studies have indicated that prolonged use of Melatonin may lead to depression and anxiety. As a result, I am no longer planning to use Melatonin.

Anyone else have any input on this? I'm not asking for medical advice on a shaving forum. Just looking for information if anyone is willing to share their experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Late to the discussion, but I just seen this for the first time. I can absolutely concur with this. Not only anxiety and depression, but also memory loss due to early onset dementia or Alzheimer’s.

The melatonin supplement we take in pill form or the small 1mg tablets that are made to dissolve under your tongue, are not all natural supplements as they like to advertise or market them.

It is a synthetic form of melatonin. It is not the same thing that our brains naturally produces in order to make us sleepy at night. Let no one tell you differently. I was a long time user of this type of melatonin for several years and started to have cognitive memory problems where a doctor diagnosed me with possible early dementia.

This really scared me, to where I started researching it myself because it got to where I couldn’t even remember where I parked my car. I would have to hit the alarm in my key fob when I came out of Walmart just to find my car.

Anyhoo, while the doctor did mention the cause could be environmental, he said nothing about the supplements I was taking. Searching google one night on environmental memory loss and came across a Reddit conversation or something else can’t really remember, but I finally read what I needed to know about taking synthetic melatonin on a regular basis. It took awhile to get back to a place where I felt my memory was better. Two years of synthetic melatonin took it’s toll, but my memory is much better now.

I don’t think melatonin supplementation is harmful if only taken now and then. But it is not natural it is synthetic and it is not the same thing as your brain produces.

I’m sure someone else will come along who has taken it for years without nary the problem. All I can say is, ymmv.

Daily exercise for me now works best and Magnesium supplement to relax the muscles before bed and some sleepy time tea an hour before bed with no tv, phone or computer if I feel like I need the extra help, but I personally, will never take a melatonin supplement on a regular basis again.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I take Melatonin, CBD, Mag Ox, 5HTP (Tryptophan) L-lysine and L-Theanine. I don't have trouble falling asleep, but staying asleep. I sometimes feel a bit groggy in the AM, but the alternative is being a zombie all day if I don't sleep. I plan to start backing off this regimen as I am retiring in a couple of days! Who needs sleep then?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I take Melatonin, CBD, Mag Ox, 5HTP (Tryptophan) L-lysine and L-Theanine. I don't have trouble falling asleep, but staying asleep. I sometimes feel a bit groggy in the AM, but the alternative is being a zombie all day if I don't sleep. I plan to start backing off this regimen as I am retiring in a couple of days! Who needs sleep then?

This is where I’m at now. When I do sleep, I can’t seem to get more than 4-5 hours before waking. I’ll still feel groggy and sleepy but can’t go back asleep, so I just get up and start my day. It’s hard going to the gym and I’m a walking zombie.

I had a buddy tell me about a product called ‘knock out’. I’m going to look into that and see what it’s about.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I tried going without any sleep promoting supplements last night since I didn't have to work in the morning. I was awake at 0130 and had to get up when I was unable to go back to sleep. I took a CBD and a generic Zyrtec, since my allergies were acting up and I knew it would make me drowsy. I went to bed an hour later and slept until 0745. Of course, I was still groggy from the Zyrtec when I got up.

Melatonin never really worked for me. I tried taking CBD for some arthritis and it didn't seem to help with that but I did sleep better. When I have to travel, I now take some tea that contains CBD and it helps me sleep better than without it.

I have had 3 Colonoscopies over the last 15 years as part of my 1 per 5 year program since turning 50 and I can ONLY DREAM of an 8 hour sleep like that 30 minute procedure feels like!!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I take the 3mg Melatonin every once in a while(3-4 times a year) if my sleep pattern has gone kitty bonkers for 1 or 2 days and know it's time to do something to bring balance back. As I gotten older I seem to sleep around 6hrs seems normal, still enjoy a nap for 1/2 to 1 hr max, any longer a nap will bugger up my sleep also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom