What's new

Melatonin

I've been using Melatonin in chewable/dissolving form on and off for years. I'm a light sleeper and have over the years, suffered from insomnia once in awhile.

Recently I have discovered that some studies have indicated that prolonged use of Melatonin may lead to depression and anxiety. As a result, I am no longer planning to use Melatonin.

Anyone else have any input on this? I'm not asking for medical advice on a shaving forum. Just looking for information if anyone is willing to share their experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I used to take Melatonin before bed. I quit because I noticed I would always wake up with a headache the next day. After I stopped the headaches did as well. I have found better relief with Passionflower extract (which I add to my Chamomile tea) and Magnesium Glycinate. Just my experience.

I have taken melatonin off and on for over 10 years. I take it as needed, not daily. I sleep well using it, have vivid dreams and don't wake up groggy.

On a melatonin note, my dog gets seasonal alopecia. With the time change each spring and fall, she usually loses some hair on flanks. A few weeks on melatonin straightens her right out. The theory is the melatonin helps adjust her circadian rhythm.

My concerns are that I have been using Melatonin long term. As in almost every night for the last 6 years. Short term and infrequent use isn't the problem. My concern is that as a daily user, I may have been experiencing symptoms that were directly related to the Melatonin without realizing it. Again, short term use is safe but from what I am reading, I shouldn't be using this every night. And because I have been taking 10 mg. doses, it appears that I am on the higher end of the spectrum of use as well.

I've stopped using it for two nights now with no change in my ability to fall asleep and stay asleep. So, for me I think I'm done using it.

Here's what I have found online:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I work 3rd shift 4 weeks out of 6 so every now and then (maybe once a week) I take some to sleep during the day. But most usually I don’t have a problem. I can stay in bed for 16 hrs and have before. Well crap, that’s a sign of depression…wonder if it’s from the melatonin!?

Prolonged use of anything has side affects. I generally don’t worry about it.

Melatonin never did work for me. I took an Advil PM for several years when I worked. They worked fine for a time, but no longer have any effect. Now retired for 10+ years. Some nights I only get an hour or two. On a good night 5-6. Still other nights I'm up every 2 hours to take a wizz. A guy I worked with had a similar problem. Prostate drugs didn't work for him. He swears by a CPAP system, which he says really helped him.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I can stay in bed for 16 hrs and have before.
I remember Charles Bukowski saying in an interview he would sometimes stay in bed for about 3 days straight. I guess it had some positive affect on his creativity. He would get up to pee, have a beer, have a smoke, etc. then go right back to bed, ha.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I understand that melatonin is helpful for resetting your internal clock (like for jet lag or shift change or something like that). It doesn't really induce sleep but rather starts the chain of events that leads to sleep. I understand that it actually can be a problem to take it right before going to bed because it can start things back over. Long time use also can lead to dependence.

I actually did try it for a short time when I was having trouble getting to sleep. I don't know if it had any adverse effect, but it didn't do me any good. What I learned is that I needed to figure out why I was having trouble falling asleep in the first place. It wasn't lack of melatonin.

These days, we keep the lights very low for at least an hour or so before going to bed, and we just make an "effort" (for lack of a better word) to wind down at the end of the day. I'll do that even if I'm tired. Brief relaxation exercises also can help when needed.

If nothing else, I look to my dog's example. He sleeps fine and never seems to need to take anything.

20220918_111949.jpg

Yep. I think he's got it figured out.

Works great for many folks. No credible studies indicate dependency issues, or any other problems associated with long term use in 99.9% of the people using it. Many who people use it might actually have other mental health or sleep issues that need a different treatment method to correct. It will not work for these issues. Sleep well all.

Even .5mg of melatonin crushes me, giving me a groggy hangover in the morning. Sure works for a sleep aid though. I take a Benadryl every blue moon now but really, excersize is my best sleep aid. That and some very good ear muffs and a sound machine. Being an extremely light sleeper in a busy house is tough. Someday I will do a sleep study thinking perhaps a cpap is an alternative. Great thread, I hope to get some more good advice.

but really, excersize is my best sleep aid. That and some very good ear muffs and a sound machine. Being an extremely light sleeper in a busy house is tough.

Sounds like me without the exercise lately. I'm a light sleeper also. I've really had a tough time getting active again with cardio after 2020. You have hit on something here - More exercise. Thanks for reminding me.

Had a good night sleep without Melatonin for the last 4 days now.

There's some other natural drugs before getting into the medical route the disclaimer some of them because they may or may not be illegal where you are. Cannabis, Belladonna, jimsonweed tea. The medical route they would probably prescribe you some sort of light sedative but such as gabapentin and they would also check your iron levels see if they are low. After the light sedative they would probably go to a stronger one.

And you hit the nail on the head with more exercise

Top Bottom