What's new

Meet Us At The Diner

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Meet us at the diner for a cup of coffee and a piece of pie. Sit down tell us how your day is going, what's on the spit this weekend? Did you get that promotion? Why is my dog losing all his hair? Did your doctor's visit go well about you having flat feet?

The topic of conversation is open...TOU rules still apply.

$d0762438f3a13853360cb3571e78ffda.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'll go first.

I haven't eaten German food in a long time. Ate some this past weekend and it was really delicious. Why don't they get the love like some other foods?

Perhaps the language has something to do with it. Although I am a huge fan of German cuisine, sitting down to a big plate of "Sauerbraten mit Kartoffel und Speck" doesn't roll off the tongue with as appetizing a vibe as say "Coq Au Vin" or "Beef Bordelaise".

Face it-German is not a musical or delicate language.

"Te amo", "Je t'aime"
..."Ich liebe dich"

Not quite the same I think.

Pate' or Wurst?
Brioche or Pumpernickel?
Crepes or Kuchen?

Just a thought

I do enjoy strudel and schnitzel though

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Perhaps the language has something to do with it. Although I am a huge fan of German cuisine, sitting down to a big plate of "Sauerbraten mit Kartoffel und Speck" doesn't roll off the tongue with as appetizing vibe as say "Coq Au Vin" or "Beef Bordelaise".

Face it-German is not musical or delicate language.

"Te amo", "Je t'aime"
..."Ich liebe dich"

Pate' or Wurst?
Brioche or Pumpernickel?
Crepes or Kuchen?

Just a thought

There seems to be a lot more spitting when pronouncing German foods.

$sylvester-sufferin-succotash.gif

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, brisket, its all German food. They are us. There are a lot of German restaurants in specific places like Milwaukee in the US or Kitchener (aka New Berlin before WWII) in Canada.

Perhaps the language has something to do with it. Although I am a huge fan of German cuisine, sitting down to a big plate of "Sauerbraten mit Kartoffel und Speck" doesn't roll off the tongue with as appetizing a vibe as say "Coq Au Vin" or "Beef Bordelaise".

Face it-German is not a musical or delicate language.

"Te amo", "Je t'aime"
..."Ich liebe dich"

Pate' or Wurst?
Brioche or Pumpernickel?
Crepes or Kuchen?

Just a thought

$ecard.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That reminds me of seeing Fernando Lamas (an Argentine born actor) on The Merv Giffin Show, years ago...

He said when he was first learning so speak English it sounded like dogs barking to him. :lol:

Ha, ha....I say the same thing about Tex-Mex, but with a much smaller dog.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, I got rewarded for saving a bunch of money. I got a call yesterday that the AC wasn't working. I went home, and by time I verified it was the comdenser fan all the supply shops had closed. So, I lugged the huge window unit in the MIL suite, brought it in the house, and cranked up the fans. Luckily, I already had the fan and cage in the garage, because it rained big time. I spent 3 hours filing the lip off the shaft so I could get the fan off the motor. I should have stopped being stubborn and went to buy a grinder, but I guess I like it difficult. I woke up this morning, went and bought a fan motor and starting capacitor (yay- only $77) and had things running by 1030. Then I went out for fajitas. Mine are better, but they were good, especially since I didn't have to cook them. I was too tired after getting up so early. Working 2nd shift, I normally don't roll out until 10. I would hate to think what a pro would have charged.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, I got rewarded for saving a bunch of money. I got a call yesterday that the AC wasn't working. I went home, and by time I verified it was the comdenser fan all the supply shops had closed. So, I lugged the huge window unit in the MIL suite, brought it in the house, and cranked up the fans. Luckily, I already had the fan and cage in the garage, because it rained big time. I spent 3 hours filing the lip off the shaft so I could get the fan off the motor. I should have stopped being stubborn and went to buy a grinder, but I guess I like it difficult. I woke up this morning, went and bought a fan motor and starting capacitor (yay- only $77) and had things running by 1030. Then I went out for fajitas. Mine are better, but they were good, especially since I didn't have to cook them. I was too tired after getting up so early. Working 2nd shift, I normally don't roll out until 10. I would hate to think what a pro would have charged.

Owen, I've done so much work on my own HVAC I could be classified as certified. :blink:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Owen, I've done so much work on my own HVAC I could be classified as certified. :blink:
The unit was old when I bought the house 14 years ago. I just need to nurse it another 9 months or so, then the house is paid off. That is the first thing on the list.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The unit was old when I bought the house 14 years ago. I just need to nurse it another 9 months or so, then the house is paid off. That is the first thing on the list.

The water heater is another story. I replaced mine in 2006 with a 12 year unit...so time is running short. I think it will last more years but I'm considering a tank-less when it's time is up.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We watched a movie while we ate pizza last night. The movie was Little Boy. It was really good and a stream on Netflix.

I didn't read ^ very well, so I'm not sure how we got on the subject, but I just got back from Berlin, Germany and Cassis, France (work trip) a week ago. I don't have any idea what the pork roast/roll was that they had in Berlin (most places seemed to have both), but it was everywhere and delicious... Now I'm drooling.

Anyways, a few from Cassis:
Langostine app
$13116279_587676351405186_4162414833657278074_o.jpg
Monkfish
$13173286_587677201405101_202077807027278336_o.jpg
Sea bass
$13173303_587676374738517_2522211901201289761_o.jpg
Salad with cheese on baguette and bacon!
$13227570_587676414738513_5695109315323101682_o.jpg

Top Bottom