What's new

Meet Us At The Diner

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I say goodbye to a good truck. She lasted 15 years, and had 225k miles on the odometer. She had a severe valve train tick. I will miss it, but it will be good to have a vehicle that gets decent mileage. Though she has a few blemishes, she still looks good.

B28A9398-16D5-49FB-B22C-E28D3931B63B.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I say goodbye to a good truck. She lasted 15 years, and had 225k miles on the odometer. She had a severe valve train tick. I will miss it, but it will be good to have a vehicle that gets decent mileage. Though she has a few blemishes, she still looks good.

View attachment 1002134
It’s weird to feel this way, but I’ve never had a vehicle this long.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, got a car for the wife- 2018 Ford Fusion (CPO). I have bumper to bumper warranty for 10 years/121 k miles (has 21k on it). Super clean, excellent shape, pretty decent price. Looks like I will be driving the Mini until I get my 2 door convertible. The wife really likes it- she has a thing for red cars. Old faithful will be departing my driveway for the last time in a week or so (Cars for Kids donation). They will sell it for salvage- all body panels are in good shape.

2AFD5EC8-4A1D-4A44-BC04-40047E2DD739.jpeg

View attachment 1002134

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
To celebrate her new car, the wife took me out for prime rib. As usual, my wife got the 10 ounce, but only ate half. I find out today that over the last two days she gave my cat the last of the prime rib, and he tore it up. The other day I teased my father because his dogs have their own staircase to get on his couch and are spoiled, yet now I find my cat is eating prime rib. Hmmm- I don’t have any room to talk. :)

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Congrats on the new car, Owen. I don't consider your cat or your fathers dogs spoilt rather well loved. The old truck looked in good shape.

To celebrate her new car, the wife took me out for prime rib. As usual, my wife got the 10 ounce, but only ate half. I find out today that over the last two days she gave my cat the last of the prime rib, and he tore it up. The other day I teased my father because his dogs have their own staircase to get on his couch and are spoiled, yet now I find my cat is eating prime rib. Hmmm- I don’t have any room to talk. :)

Four legs and fur will always trump the hairless bioped. Our only hope is pushing a baby buggy on a solo mission or better still, baby in snuggly strapped to your chest, that one will score very well.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Now it is official- I am no longer a truck owner. Here she is waiting to be towed away. I got $500 for her, just had to put it on the street. It is very weird, after 15 years, not seeing it in my driveway anymore. It served me well.

038AB990-9DEF-4040-BA4A-B9AE97AF5E7E.jpeg

Speaking of cars, I had taken mine to the dealer a couple months ago for a recall and had them do an oil change and filters while it was in. I asked for an estimate for one particular item that needs to be replaced at 105,000 miles and I’m currently at 98,000. And because the engine needs to be taken apart to replace this part, a timing belt, I wanted to also know what else they recommend doing while the engine is apart. I was pretty clear with my request, worded it the same way as I just did here. They came back without providing an estimate for that or telling me what else should be done. Instead they gave me estimates for other things that they felt needed to be addressed such as a battery fault, a leaking pump gasket, and some other things. The grand total was over $10,000. I said thanks. We’ll just do the recall and oil change. My intent was to bring it to our mechanic who also happen to be family friends and see what they think. I waited too long and my battery died on me on Friday. So brought it in today. Replaced the battery with an Audi OE battery. Cost? Half the price quoted by the dealership. I asked about the pump and he said it won’t be anywhere near the $700 they quoted to replace the pump. All I need is a gasket. Another item that they claimed had a fuse issue and quoted $2,500 to replace the whole unit was resolved with a simple fuse. He basically said the high end dealers like Audi, BMW and Mercedes have taken to writing up massive estimates for higher mileage cars to scare you into thinkimg it’s not worth it to fix the car and you buy a new one instead. All I really need is the gasket, the battery that was replaced today and a couple tires with an alignment. It really pays to have someone you can trust for car servicing, especially if you know very little about cars like me.

My door handle broke on my murano, dealer $105 for handle and $200 to install.
Me,, 25$ of the internet for handle, mechanic install for $85 , hourly rate.

Dealers can shove it.

Just had to replace my battery this morning. 2014 Escape. I always changed my own batteries but looking at this one I didn't think it was worth the hassle. I called a couple of the parts stores but they didn't want to change it either. I had been getting the free oil changes at the dealer so I was tempted to go there but reading the above comments I'm glad I didn't. I ended up going to the place we've used for other cars. It still cost plenty but could have been worse.

Took my wife's car to a different dealer for something and they swore we needed a water pump. He showed me where it was leaking, or had leaked. I put it off because of the price and it hasn't used a pint of antifreeze in the three years since. Never went back there for sure!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've been watching some of the oldie TV shows from the 60's and 70's. In particular Columbo and Bonanza. Two excellent shows, no cussing, no nudity, always manners. Both well written and the acting was pretty good.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've been watching some of the oldie TV shows from the 60's and 70's. In particular Columbo and Bonanza. Two excellent shows, no cussing, no nudity, always manners. Both well written and the acting was pretty good.
With the two shows mentioned I say “thank goodness”. :)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My cousin died this past weekend...prostate cancer got into his bones. His first name was Davis. He was a really good gardener and he taught me all kinds of things. We went to all the superhero movies together, played the guiter together and talked about God. He was Austin weird, kind, loving and extremely smart.

...miss you Davis...Godspeed.

My cousin died this past weekend...prostate cancer got into his bones. His first name was Davis. He was a really good gardener and he taught me all kinds of things. We went to all the superhero movies together, played the guiter together and talked about God. He was Austin weird, kind, loving and extremely smart.

I'm sorry to hear about his passing Aaron. Sounds like he was a great friend as well as a cousin.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Sorry to hear that. Mine died a few years ago- he was a two years older than me. It really makes you realize our mortality.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm sorry to hear about his passing Aaron. Sounds like he was a great friend as well as a cousin.
Thanks, he had his own homemade music studio and produced his own music. Plus he had a wind chime business that he couldn't keep up with the orders.
Sorry to hear that. Mine died a few years ago- he was a two years older than me. It really makes you realize our mortality.

His whole family including his younger brother and dad are gone due to the same disease. Mom is still alive and took care of each to death.

Lessoned learned...get your prostate checked.

Top Bottom