What's new

Meet The New Black - Black Krome!! First Pics.

I’ve been considering re-plating a couple rough looking early Aristocrats for awhile, and was thinking of doing something a little different. Black, or a combo black/ gold, something a little creative. By chance, I asked Chris at Razorplate for his thoughts on black nickel. He explained that he’d experimented extensively with black nickel, and was never satisfied with the results, and could not in good conscience offer it.

Enter Black Krome! (Yes, that’s the way it’s spelled!)

Chris explained he had been fooling around with a new plating material, and asked if I would like to be a beta tester. He explained that this plating has been used extensively on brass musical instruments, and door pulls, and had a finish that lived up to his expectations. It’s also a more economical alternative to Black Rhodium.

I had a new brass Stork handle, and what was basically a free range New Deluxe head that originally came with a plastic Simplex handle. The New Deluxe being one of my all time favorites, the choice was simple.

Here’s the “before” pictures.
3E4B7FD1-970F-44EF-A7CE-1C8710E27848.jpeg
3F9E4E48-5177-4FDE-982E-BADD065C6DBC.jpeg

Chris was kind enough to send me a few intermediate process pictures. These are with a bright nickel base finish. Emphasis on bright!
06264D91-8C6E-4741-9DF9-CA57A3F4AE6C.jpeg
B9D63891-0B7D-40B6-BD79-FD1B5E8B07F2.jpeg

And finally, the actual world premiere of Black Krome!!
29C859D9-ABB7-47B9-8DFE-5DB5FC23B5AF.jpeg
0C465631-8548-4F0E-971E-1506D00ADAE3.jpeg
5601E7AF-DBCD-4891-A267-055658CDA8B3.jpeg
51879BAC-A0DA-4E3A-B0F4-BD1A4662CDCF.jpeg

STUNNING!!
That’s about the only word I can come up with.
I love the contrast between the knurled and smooth surfaces. I have to admit to something kind of funny. Notice the 3 bands at the top of the handle? I never really noticed them before the re-plate!
To say I’m excited is an understatement.
Thanks Chris!

Stunning is the word! The three bands really pop out with the Black Krome finish. The Stork handle and New Deluxe head go very well together. Congrats on a beautiful razor and to Chris on a fantastic job! :a14:

Stunning is the word! The three bands really pop out with the Black Krome finish. The Stork handle and New Deluxe head go very well together. Congrats on a beautiful razor and to Chris on a fantastic job! :a14:
Thanks!
I specifically got the Stork handle in brass with the thought I might have it plated at some time. At almost 3oz, it works very well with the New Deluxe head. I like the look of the combo also.

Now that’s classy. I need to send him a couple razors and was considering rose gold on a super speed. Maybe this is the way to go,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely something different! I got to search through my razors to find one needing replating. If I can't find one, I gotta take out the nail file and create one to need replating.

Definitely something different! I got to search through my razors to find one needing replating. If I can't find one, I gotta take out the nail file and create one to need replating.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:
Skip the nail file though. A nice long soak in vinegar or Barbasol should be enough!

That is one fine looking razor. I may have to break down and buy a vintage razor and have it replated in black chrome.

Top Bottom