What's new

Meet Chevy Novacaine and his Beard

1. What is your real name?
Joshua

2. What is the meaning of your username?
It is the name of a Mad Caddies song. I am neither a car enthusiast or a dentist. It's my go-to username whenever my first name is unavailable (which is most of the time) because I think it sounds cool and it's pretty much guaranteed to be available.

3. Roughly where on this this big blue ball do you live?
Fort Worth, Texas

4. How old are you?

5. What do you do in real life?
I have a background in broadcast television, currently working in television metadata. Last year I decided to return to school to pursue a degree in nursing.

6. When did you first start to grow facial hair, and when did it actually start to look decent?
The very first time I actively tried was my freshman year of college, March 2002. It was scraggly and itchy and I don't think I kept it for more than a month.

7. What type of facial hair do you wear, and how often do you change it up?
In 2003 I grew a goatee (not a Van Dyke) and generally kept it, especially as I started to put on weight and it helped give my face definition. In 2007 I started growing a seasonal beard and would usually keep it for four or five months before shaving back down to a goatee. In 2011 I lost 75 pounds and felt comfortable enough to shave the goatee and was clean shaven for the first time in nearly a decade. I generally alternate between clean shaven and full beard, with varying amounts of time between them, though as of this month I'm trying my hand at a solo mustache. We'll see how long I last before I return to the warm embrace of my beard.

8. What types of products do you use, and did you use any before you started hanging around here?
For my facial hair I use beard oil. Up until now I've always used Grave Before Shave, but I'm looking at trying Honest Amish balm soon. I started using beard oil in 2014, I think. I long thought it was just a gimmick to sell something, but boy oh boy was I wrong. It instantly stopped itching and flaking. To wash it I've used both Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap and Grave Before Shave's beard wash. I'm hoping to try Fuzzworthy beard shampoo soon, as I have heard great things.

For general shaving I'm still sampling a variety of soaps as I narrow down to four to cycle with the seasons and for aftershave I stick to Chatillon Lux's salves and toners. I think I discovered CL right before or around the time I joined Badger & Blade. I did not fall down the soap rabbit hole until after joining and boy howdy have y'all ignited a passion in me I never dreamed I would have for soap.

9. Scissors, trimmer, or both?
Traditionally just a trimmer but I recently bought some trimming scissors for my mustache and for when I eventually grow a longer beard. Trimmers are great, but there's a certain length where they become mostly useless.

10. Brush, comb or both?
I prefer my Kent sawcut combs, but I do have a boar brush that I occasionally use. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the brush, but it's probably better at distributing oil at shorter beard lengths.

11. Do you like to keep your lines nice and tight, or just get them close enough?
Close enough. I like it to look natural, but maintained. When the lines are too clean I think it looks odd and a little silly. Especially those guys who trim their beard right at their jawline. It's an epidemic.

12. What is your favorite razor for beard lines?
This is where my newness to safety razors shows, as I currently only have one razor. I use an Edwin Jagger Kelvin, but since it is my only razor calling it a "favorite" seems disingenuous. I am currently looking at trying a new razor, but have yet to settle on one. So far I prefer using Astra SP blades, but I've had success with Gillette 7 O clock, Gillette Platinum, Feather, and Personna. How much of that is the blades themselves or improving technique, I could not say.

13. What is the longest you've ever let your facial hair grow?
18 months. I started growing a beard November 1st, 2014 and did not shave it until May, 2016. In terms of length, I think it got to about 8 inches below my lip before I decided to trim it down. Someday I may try to go for terminal beard. I have a friend that said if I ever grow it long enough to braid he would buy me a battle ax. I think he's a liar.

14. Has your facial hair started to turn gray or white, if so how do you feel about the change?
It has not and while I'm not in a hurry for it to, there is a part of me that looks forward to a gray beard. I think it's distinguished. I've long felt that once I pass a certain age I'll probably go to a full-time beard.

15. Do you ever shave it all off?
As I mentioned previously, I do. Shaving/growing a beard periodically is like rearranging furniture. It's refreshing and cathartic.
IMG_3824[1].JPG
IMG_2571[1].JPG
IMG_2753[1].JPG
IMG_2754[1].JPG

Thanks for doing the interview Joshua. That is one epic beard you can grow. I say grow the braids and call your friend on his bluff! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom