What's new

Meet Bob, Navy Frogman

A few years ago I became acquainted with Bob at the local fitness center. At that time he was still driving his car. I would arrive at 7:30 and he was already leaving because he had been there for the past hour. All I could think was, "Why on earth is this retired guy getting up so darn early? Clue: His license plate.

Once a week we would visit briefly and we got to know each other a little. One day I asked him to tell me about his service to our nation. Predictably he demurred but then he grinned. He said, "I was a Seal before we were called Seals - they just called us frogmen."

He said his service was in the Pacific during the war and missions took place under cover of dark. The frogmen went in the night before an island was to be invaded. "We did our work and then left while it was still dark. As we crossed the beach and headed into the water we always drove a post into the sand with a sign on it. The sign read, "Welcome US Marines" and it was signed underneath, "Navy Frogmen." I could tell he loved telling me that story.

IMG_1947.jpeg

Wonderful story, I actually wanted to be a Frogman as a kid. The descriptions I had read about them were very cool. Alas I became distracted by sports, and to this day still don't know how to swim. However I have had several experiences almost drowning. :yesnod:

A few years ago I became acquainted with Bob at the local fitness center. At that time he was still driving his car. I would arrive at 7:30 and he was already leaving because he had been there for the past hour. All I could think was, "Why on earth is this retired guy getting up so darn early? Clue: His license plate.

Once a week we would visit briefly and we got to know each other a little. One day I asked him to tell me about his service to our nation. Predictably he demurred but then he grinned. He said, "I was a Seal before we were called Seals - they just called us frogmen."

He said his service was in the Pacific during the war and missions took place under cover of dark. The frogmen went in the night before an island was to be invaded. "We did our work and then left while it was still dark. As we crossed the beach and headed into the water we always drove a post into the sand with a sign on it. The sign read, "Welcome US Marines" and it was signed underneath, "Navy Frogmen." I could tell he loved telling me that story.

View attachment 1495842
I can somewhat verify that story. When I was in Navy bootcamp they would show us WWII film clips, some of which were of that very thing. U.D.T. men (Underwater Demolition Team) members clearing beaches in preparation for a Marine landing.
And many times they would leave a sign letting the landing party know who was the first to hit that beach.They were a brave bunch of guys!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Great story. I thought you were going to post a pic of the Hamilton Khaki Navy Frogman watch.

My father was a Boatswain's Mate 1st Class, Underwater Demolition Team/Navy Rifle Team. The man had 7 1/2 ships sank from beneath him during WW2. (The 1/2 was at Pearl Harbor on the morning of 12/7/41). Dad went with Admiral Byrd to Antarctica during "Operation Highjump" (hydrology studies) from 1947-1949. After that, he went to Korea for that three-year "police action" (1950-1953). His third, and final, Purple Heart bore testament to that.

Father and his team once blew the ends of a railroad tunnel, sealing in a Japanese troop train, killing all aboard. After this, they escaped on rafts to a waiting submarine.

This was 'cold comfort' after the slaughter on December 7th, 1941, but the team made Tojo hurt like hell when they could!

Pretty clever, eh?

Top Bottom