What's new

Meerschaum pipe draw

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
So as many of you know I recently got a new Imp Meerschaum pipe. I love the pipe and find it very visually appealing. My problem is that the draw is absolutely lousy. Easily the worst drawing pipe in my collection.

As I've said, I really like the pipe but I want it to be a good smoker too. Do any of you know of any pipe repair masters who work on Meerschaum pipes?

I did a bit of research and found this shop but I don't know anyone who has used them. The price is certainly worth it so long as I'm not sending my pipe off to be butchered...What do you guys think?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Lousy meaning it’s too restrictive? Or it has turbulence so it’s smokes a bit wet?

Can you check to see if it’s the stem or the pipe that’s at fault? Any chance there is something obstructing the airway like a flake of meerschaum etc?

brandaves

Lousy meaning it’s too restrictive? Or it has turbulence so it’s smokes a bit wet?

Can you check to see if it’s the stem or the pipe that’s at fault? Any chance there is something obstructing the airway like a flake of meerschaum etc?
Lousy like I can barely get tobacco lit. Once lit I get maybe three puffs and then out. I've tried several different tobacco blends and drying times...I'm certain it isn't the tobacco. All the puffing I'm doing to get and keep things lit gets everything hot and the flavors are lost and my tongue is on fire. Some smokes are better then others but I've yet to have what I'd call a good smoke from the pipe.

I've run several pipe cleaners all the way through and broken down the pipe once to ensure there were no blockages. The draw hole is very small by design, which I believe is a poor design and the reason for the issue. The repair service I linked suggests this is a common flaw found in many Meerschaum pipes and the service they offer is the open the draw.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I bought all my Forever Stems from Walker, but never utilized him for repairs.

I personally would have no problem sending it to him, but YMMV.

brandaves

I sent an email. If I can get this pipe smoking better for $21 I'll consider it a steal and happily do it. I attached photos and measurements for the pipe and I'm waiting to hear back.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Ric Farrah of Briarville does meerschaum work.

Edit: spellering
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandaves

So I contacted the pipe repair shop I posted, he requested a picture of the mortise and tenon and said the repair should be no issue. I intend to get it out early next week. Hoping for the best!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Mike does great work. He has made several stems for me including these two...

proxy.php

proxy.php

brandaves

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's excellent to hear. I'm glad you chimed in because I was a little nervous sending off my new pipe! I'm confident it'll come back smoking like a champ.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice looking pair of pipes, Mike.

That's excellent to hear. I'm glad you chimed in because I was a little nervous sending off my new pipe! I'm confident it'll come back smoking like a champ.

I hope all goes well, Brandon, and you're happy with the outcome.

brandaves

Packed up my Imp for shipment. I'll keep this thread up to date as a reference for others on Walker Pipe Repair generally, and specifically with regard to fixing a tight draw on a Meer.

brandaves

So, per the attached my pipe arrived at Wlaker Pipe repair. I expect it to take as much as three months (probably sooner) with his current work load. I'll update as they become available.
Screenshot_20200823-123644_Gmail.jpg

brandaves

Checked the repair schedule he sent. My repair is scheduled for October 8th.
Screenshot_20200823-202533_Drive.jpg

brandaves

I received my final invoice today, he's finished my pipe 4 days ahead of schedule. The invoiced amount was $21 with shipping included. I should receive my pipe later this week!

I have two more pipes packed up and ready to go out to him tomorrow...I'll update the IMP status once it arrives.

I have a meer that was having the exact same problem. It's the crappy mortise/tenon that is used on most of them. I took a drill bit that was slightly larger than the tenon hole and slowly screwed it through by hand. it opened the tenon perfectly and the pipe smokes great now.

Obviously this is no longer helpful to you, since you sent the pipe off for repairs, but figured I'd share anyway. Look forward to seeing your update, once you have the pipe back.

brandaves

I have a meer that was having the exact same problem. It's the crappy mortise/tenon that is used on most of them. I took a drill bit that was slightly larger than the tenon hole and slowly screwed it through by hand. it opened the tenon perfectly and the pipe smokes great now.

Obviously this is no longer helpful to you, since you sent the pipe off for repairs, but figured I'd share anyway. Look forward to seeing your update, once you have the pipe back.
Were it a less expensive pipe I might have undertaken the risk of doing it myself...I was just worried I'd bungle the operation so I sent it off. The repair itself was only $14 plus shipping costs so it wasn't that expensive to have a professional handle it. I'm very excited to get it back this week and give it a smoke. I intend to go back to a coloring routine with it.

brandaves

I got my pipe back today and the draw is noticeably improved. I'm still on the fence though. A few more smokes and I ought to know. What I can say for certain is that the draw is better.

Top Bottom