What's new

Meerschaum PIF: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Still not in.

A question for the collective wisdom here: Instead of trying to fit a band to a split stem, how would wrapping with silver or copper wire work? Seems more along the lines someone handy with their hands could accomplish without any special skills or tools.

Still not in.

A question for the collective wisdom here: Instead of trying to fit a band to a split stem, how would wrapping with silver or copper wire work? Seems more along the lines someone handy with their hands could accomplish without any special skills or tools.
I suppose that could work. I believe a band would better hide the crack and any adhesive used to seal it. It may be challenging to keep the wire tight and adhered to the meerschaum while not showing any glue. Just my thoughts. A possibly cheap easy-ish band could be a spend casing of the appropriate diameter. Brass or if silver is desired a nickle coated casing could be used. I am just a hobby pipe repair/restorer thought. Just my ideas haha

Still not in.

I suppose that could work. I believe a band would better hide the crack and any adhesive used to seal it. It may be challenging to keep the wire tight and adhered to the meerschaum while not showing any glue. Just my thoughts. A possibly cheap easy-ish band could be a spend casing of the appropriate diameter. Brass or if silver is desired a nickle coated casing could be used. I am just a hobby pipe repair/restorer thought. Just my ideas haha

I would think the same, I can't imagine it would be very simple to keep the wire wrapping tight and get it secured well using that option. I am not the most DIY person, tho. Someone more clever than I may come up with a solution.

This is an awesome pif, just in time for March Meer Madness. Not in though, I don't get to spend enough time with the beauts I have...

Little over 24 hours left to join this, so anyone on the fence or looking to change your minds and join, now is the time!

Still not in.

I've given some thought here, the thing with something wire might work if we're working a thin gauge made up of even thinner gauge. The difficult part would be keeping tension on the stem without over tensioning. The only way I'd see this work might be a fly tying stand with a threaded tension device keeping the pull stable during the wind. Back off the last two or three and tuck might get it.

Now speaking about fly tying, we might reconsider the idea with a natural thread or multi thread minor rope. The requirement for fine control of the wrap is important to get where we're going but that value may not need to be as high as with supple metals. A craftsman might think about a black lacquer gloss coat afterward. (But this kind of thing is well beyond my paygrade!)

I wish I was competent building fly fishing rods; the skills would transfer brilliantly.

So here's the list:

Merle
Dick peck
WaBrent
Robbyboxers
simon1
seabee1999
cw62803
Pine
JimP

And the results!

pif.PNG