What's new

Medium / Heavy Oil Pomade Recommendations?

I'm looking for a medium / heavy oil pomade. I like shine. I also prefer older / classic / cheaper products.

My only experience so far with a heavy oil pomade has been Murray's, which is way too difficult to get into the hair. I'm a redhead with mostly straight hair (curls at ends if long, hair makes a loose C shape as it gets longer) if it makes a difference at all.

Currently, I've been using Suavecito Firme (water based) if I want to style, else groom & clean for just coming back. In the past I've used Brylcreem cause it gives crazy volume to my hair, but my scalp doesn't tolerate it as well and the amount to use can be a bit hit or miss.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
When I had hair enough to use such a product I favoured Dax Short And Neat, or Pluko Black And White - old, classic, and cheap, problem solved 👍

Black Cat maybe? Or Goon grease I guess. It's hard to get a true high shine, if you don't know, with heavy because of the amount of wax vs oils. I tend to use oil or cream in my hair as a pre styler then natural finish heavy.

Maggards has many choices if you are already ordering something else.

When I had hair enough to use such a product I favoured Dax Short And Neat, or Pluko Black And White - old, classic, and cheap, problem solved 👍

Any preference between the two?

Black Cat maybe? Or Goon grease I guess. It's hard to get a true high shine, if you don't know, with heavy because of the amount of wax vs oils. I tend to use oil or cream in my hair as a pre styler then natural finish heavy.

Maggards has many choices if you are already ordering something else.
Yeah, I'm familiar with heavy having less shine. I really don't want to get into layering.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Any preference between the two?
When I was young I preferred the Pluko but it is very thick and hard to wash out. As I got older I preferred the Dax as it is lighter and I wore my hair shorter then. Dax have a range of products for all hair types and the look you are trying to achieve. Plus, in the 1970s and 1980s these were the only two products I could find in UK shops. There was no ordering online in those days. 😆

lasta

Blade Biter
Where are you located?

If Europe, you can buy Pento Creme for cheap. Smells better and a bit shinier than Brylcream.

I use Byrd classic for the first week or two after a hair cut, then I switch to prospectors gold rush.(sometimes use Ogallala bay rum)

Byrd is wax based. nice firm hold, but on the difficult side to use without a blow dryer if your hair is a little longer. Medium sheen.

I would try the prospectors. Goes in easy, comes out easy, smells great, and contains hemp oil so it’s supposed to help out your scalp as well.

Last edited:
My favorite is Dax Neat Waves in the orange can. A medium hold with a high shine. It works for me as I usually do nothing more than wear a side part.

Top Bottom