What's new

Medical Prep Personna

I tried Medical Prep Personnas for the first time on Thursday. The razor was my Mergress. I shaved with the blade on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and will shave with the same blade later today. This is a record for me: I have never gotten more than four shaves with any blade. I will give a more detailed review in the review section after I try this blade in other razors.

The lather used was a combo of Mama Bears unscented and Gillette Menthol (with glycerin added). I have a heavy beard and shaved twice on Saturday the last shave with a Speick Shave Stick. The shave was two passes to clean up some stubble that grew since I shaved for the first time early Saturday a.m. Normally, I would shave with three or four passes when I shave twice a day. However, two passes did the job - again without any irritation.

If I had to give just one word to describe the shave with this blade it would be AWESOME. It does not feel that the blade is sharp - but it must be because I got the closest shaves I have ever gotten without any irritation, cuts or nicks. In fact, I normally have to touch up my neck after my ATG pass - but not with this blade. It cuts close but is very smooth.

I really can't compare this blade to any other I have tried largely because it is so smooth. There were times when I wondered if the blade was actually cutting my beard but the tell tale stubble in the sink told the story. For me the closest blade I can compare it to is the Personna Reds - but the medical prep blade seems to be smoother and is lasting much longer than the reds.

The only complaint: it's difficult to purchase this blade without ridiculous shipping charges. I wish some of the wet shaving vendors would carry this winner.

The lather used was a combo of Mama Bears unscented and Gillette Menthol (with glycerin added).
Gillette Menthol?? :blink: Do tell more ...

The only complaint: it's difficult to purchase this blade without ridiculous shipping charges. I wish some of the wet shaving vendors would carry this winner.
Wow - this blade sounds fantastic. Where do you find it?

I tried Medical Prep Personnas for the first time on Thursday.

Did you by any chance happen to order from Robbins Instruments? I've been trying to order and register an account on their site but I'm just getting a "fatal error" message. I sent them an e-mail but they haven't replied.

Very few vendors seem to carry these blades and those that do, their websites seem to suck. Hard to find any info on shipping costs, for example, and terrible to navigate. And ordering to Europe can be risky 'cause you may end up paying VAT simply because of (possibly) insane shipping costs that you couldn't find out in advance. :mad3:

I tried Medical Prep Personnas for the first time on Thursday. The razor was my Mergress. I shaved with the blade on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and will shave with the same blade later today. This is a record for me: I have never gotten more than four shaves with any blade. I will give a more detailed review in the review section after I try this blade in other razors.

The lather used was a combo of Mama Bears unscented and Gillette Menthol (with glycerin added). I have a heavy beard and shaved twice on Saturday the last shave with a Speick Shave Stick. The shave was two passes to clean up some stubble that grew since I shaved for the first time early Saturday a.m. Normally, I would shave with three or four passes when I shave twice a day. However, two passes did the job - again without any irritation.

If I had to give just one word to describe the shave with this blade it would be AWESOME. It does not feel that the blade is sharp - but it must be because I got the closest shaves I have ever gotten without any irritation, cuts or nicks. In fact, I normally have to touch up my neck after my ATG pass - but not with this blade. It cuts close but is very smooth.

I really can't compare this blade to any other I have tried largely because it is so smooth. There were times when I wondered if the blade was actually cutting my beard but the tell tale stubble in the sink told the story. For me the closest blade I can compare it to is the Personna Reds - but the medical prep blade seems to be smoother and is lasting much longer than the reds.

Those are fantastic blades and I've got as many as 7 shaves with a blade. They're something I highly recommend, and sometimes slip a few to a member who is having problems with either skin irritation or poor results. You have to figure that if they are for hospital use the manufacturer is extra careful to ensure quality. I know what you mean about the shipping charges, but 35 cents for five shaves is really cheap.

Did you by any chance happen to order from Robbins Instruments? I've been trying to order and register an account on their site but I'm just getting a "fatal error" message. I sent them an e-mail but they haven't replied.

Very few vendors seem to carry these blades and those that do, their websites seem to suck. Hard to find any info on shipping costs, for example, and terrible to navigate. And ordering to Europe can be risky 'cause you may end up paying VAT simply because of (possibly) insane shipping costs that you couldn't find out in advance. :mad3:

I just placed an order with no problem. http://www.robbinsinstruments.com/instruments/blades/personnadouble.html

Gillette Menthol?? :blink: Do tell more ...

Wow - this blade sounds fantastic. Where do you find it?

A member of B&B was nice enough to PIF me five blades. I have not ordered them yet but will do so. The Robbins link is one place. Another is http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx

The Gillette menthol is made in Argentina and Italy. I got mine from shaveabuck.com and it is the Argentina version. Here is what they say about it:

"Gillette Shave Creams in Three Variants, Argentina origin. Aloe Vera, Menthol, and Sensitive. This product has a high Glycerin content as do other products of South American origin. Small Pea size amount creates superlather. "

I tried again - no Prep Blades for me it seems then :angry:. From the drop down list I chose "State/Province: Outside US" and lo and behold:

Fatal Error. Miva Merchant has encountered a fatal error and is unable to continue. The following information may assist you in determining the cause of the error:
Error Code: #ERROR#
Description: Shipping Selection is required and no Shipping Methods were found. Please contact the administrator directly.

I saw no selection for shipping method etc., just the address fields.

They are stamped "for hospital use" so I would suppose so (edit: and look identical so they must be)? Google also gives more vendor results for "Personna Plus Double Edge" so maybe I could get some shipped to Europe after all... supposing they are the same blade! (Edit no 2: On closer looking, the only vendor I could find stocking Pesonna Plus blades is Acuderm. No info on their site if they ship internationally. I've e-mailed two Prep Blade vendors now and neither has replied. So much for customer "support".)

Last edited:
If you like 'em, get 'em while you can.

Shaving as preparation for surgical procedures is certainly going to become less and less common. It turns out that for many procedures, shaving the skin before the first incision actually increases the risk of post-operative infection; many hospitals now do not allow their surgeons to shave the skin prior to surgery even if they WANT to.

When all the hospitals have outlawed pre-op shaving, I doubt whoever makes these blades will continue to do so, because they will no longer have a market.

Well, I am still using the same blade. Today is the 7th shave with the Personna Med. Prep Blade. Today I made an uberlather of MWF and Proraso - one of my favorite combos. Another great shave. Will try again tomorrow - but I may be pushing it! :001_rolle

Well my final shave with the Personna Med Prep blade and Mergress razor. I could probably push it and get another shave - but why ruin such a great experience.

The shave again was absolutely perfect. The combo today was Godrej Menthol Mist and Mama Bear's unscented.

Tomorrow a new blade will be tried in a slim adjustable. :thumbup:

I tried again - no Prep Blades for me it seems then :angry:.
Have you gotten any of these blades yet, apino? If not, would you be willing to split a box with me so we can both try them out?

Are there any others here who would be interested in going in on a box?

They are stamped "for hospital use" so I would suppose so (edit: and look identical so they must be)? Google also gives more vendor results for "Personna Plus Double Edge" so maybe I could get some shipped to Europe after all... supposing they are the same blade! (Edit no 2: On closer looking, the only vendor I could find stocking Pesonna Plus blades is Acuderm. No info on their site if they ship internationally. I've e-mailed two Prep Blade vendors now and neither has replied. So much for customer "support".)

These also look similar...
I can't see the writing, but how many Personna blades coem in the 250 box?
http://www.barberdepots.com/shaving/

Not sure about their shipping policy, but next time I go to the nearby Harbor Freight, I'll have to stop in and check them out. (In a few weeks)

Joe.

I would love to pick up some as well. I have a vintage stainless surgical prep razor that they would be perfect for.

Have you gotten any of these blades yet, apino? If not, would you be willing to split a box with me so we can both try them out?

Are there any others here who would be interested in going in on a box?

Captain,
I just ordered a box from Robbins.
If you want to try them, we can work something out.

Send me a PM
John

Top Bottom