What's new

Medical Prep Personna

If anyone would care to forward 2 or 3 blades to me for a test drive, I would be very appreciative. Of course, I would pay for the blades and shipping. Please send a PM.

Thanks in advance.

David

I'm also interested in giving these blades a try before plunking down the cash for 100 or more, if anyone's feeling generous. I figure that somewhere between 2 and 5 blades should give me a good chance to see if they will work for me.

I'd be happy to pay for the blades and reimburse you for postage and your time, but I don't have a PayPal account. If anyone's willing to wait for my snail-mail check to clear you know where to get hold of me, and thanks!

:lol::lol:...Not that I'm begging or anything...:lol::lol:

I had my first shave with one this morning. I had intended on using MWF, my favorite soap, to evaluate, but have been trying Tabac this week (will write about that in the soap forum, but not real jazzed). First shave was very good. Smooth, no irritation to speak of. I plan on using MWF the rest of the week to give a good evaluation.

Thanks to CB DoubleEdge for the sample blades.

:lol::lol:...Not that I'm begging or anything...:lol::lol:

I'll send a PM.
Dear God Wingnut, how did you buy your razors without a PayPal account?
Did you go to the antique stores?
Time to step into the present.

John

.....By the way, you are begging......

SENT PM. Will send blades.

Last edited:
I found these blades to be very smooth on the first attempt. I shaved a little more aggressively with my slim than I normally would, and came out fine. If these hold up for 4 shaves I will like them even more. I bought a 100, I would be willing to trade 10 for 10 Iridium Super's. TRADED

Last edited:
I found these blades to be very smooth on the first attempt. I shaved a little more aggressively with my slim than I normally would, and came out fine. If these hold up for 4 shaves I will like them even more. I bought a 100, I would be willing to trade 10 for 10 Iridium Super's.

PM sent re trade for Iridium.

My first impression after a couple of shaves is these are very smooth blades but not quite as sharp as the Feathers. You can feel these are high quality blades when they glide through your whiskers.

Bit2 sent me a few of these to try out. Here's my review after 3.25 days use of the first blade.

Day 1 I used a Red Tip which gave a good shave but I had to hit a couple trouble spots more than I normally do. It was a rather unremarkable shave, but I will say that the safety bar Gillette is my least favorite razor to use, and that includes the Red Tip.

Day 2 I used a Ball End Old Type and the shave was remarkable. Very smooth, irritation free BBS that was as good as I've gotten from any DE blade. While the safety bar models are my least favorite, the open combs are my favorites.

Day 3 I used a Slim Adjustable set on 9 and was identical to day 2.

Day 4 I put the blade in a Schick Krona which I like a lot. After just a couple of strokes I noticed it felt really bad. I grabbed a J type injector that was already loaded and made one stroke and the difference was like night and day. I alternated the two razors a couple more times and had to stop using the Personna and finished with the Schick. I can now feel some slight irritation on the side I used the Personna on.

Conclusion: These blades are very good when used in the right razor, which is not much different than most blades. If I had used an open comb on day 1 it would have likely had better results. I was only able to get three good shaves from this particular blade, which may or may not be typical results.

Obviously not a scientific test, and only based on one blade, but I thought I'd share my results.

I'll now return to my beloved Gem, Ever-Ready and Schick single edges!

Bit2 sent me a few of these to try out. Here's my review after 3.25 days use of the first blade.

Day 1 I used a Red Tip which gave a good shave but I had to hit a couple trouble spots more than I normally do. It was a rather unremarkable shave, but I will say that the safety bar Gillette is my least favorite razor to use, and that includes the Red Tip.

Day 2 I used a Ball End Old Type and the shave was remarkable. Very smooth, irritation free BBS that was as good as I've gotten from any DE blade. While the safety bar models are my least favorite, the open combs are my favorites.

Day 4 I put the blade in a Schick Krona which I like a lot. After just a couple of strokes I noticed it felt really bad. I grabbed a J type injector that was already loaded and made one stroke and the difference was like night and day. I alternated the two razors a couple more times and had to stop using the Personna and finished with the Schick. I can now feel some slight irritation on the side I used the Personna on.

Conclusion: These blades are very good when used in the right razor, which is not much different than most blades. If I had used an open comb on day 1 it would have likely had better results. I was only able to get three good shaves from this particular blade, which may or may not be typical results.

Obviously not a scientific test, and only based on one blade, but I thought I'd share my results.

I had similar results, 4 day shave was rough...this is a good blade that is worth owning, but is not the holy grail.

My third shave with this blade in the Merkur HD was a thing of beauty this morning. I had two days' growth, and a 4-pass job gave me a true BBS. I'm new at this, and have been trying out blades @ 2 shaves each for the last two weeks, and this was the first time w/no weepers or irritation, even on the upper lip and neck.

Granted, I changed to Kyle's grip this morning after reading his "What works for me..." post in the Wet Shaving Instructions and Tutorials sticky. I'll give that change-up most of the credit, since holding the razor by the very end of the handle resulted in the lowest-pressure shave I've ever given myself. I was previously holding it close to the head.

I'm starting fresh try-outs of my other blades tomorrow, 3 shaves each with the new grip. We'll see how the Personna Prep stacks up in the new round of trials.

Hoosier, what is your normal go to blade ?

thanks

Hoosier, what is your normal go to blade ?

thanks

I use an SE, either an injector or a Gem/Ever-Ready, probably 90% of the time so I guess I don't really have a go to DE blade. I've had good results with Red IP's, Blue birds, Derby, Vidyut Supermax platinum even Dorco 301's. I have accumulated a fairly large supply of the "vintage" Schick, made in England Wilkinsons, Personna 74's and Gillette blades that I much prefer over the modern blades.

I use an SE, either an injector or a Gem/Ever-Ready, probably 90% of the time so I guess I don't really have a go to DE blade.
I think the question may have been, "what's your go to SE blade?" If that wasn't the question, then consider that my question! :laugh:

I've never tried an SE or injector and, from what I've been reading, I'm not aware of what I'm missing. Gonna have to go down that road soon.

Also, can you point me towards this "Fatboy Owners Group" that you are a proud member of? Thanks! :001_smile

I think the question may have been, "what's your go to SE blade?" If that wasn't the question, then consider that my question! :laugh:

I've never tried an SE or injector and, from what I've been reading, I'm not aware of what I'm missing. Gonna have to go down that road soon.

Also, can you point me towards this "Fatboy Owners Group" that you are a proud member of? Thanks! :001_smile

In that case my favorite SE blade is the Treet carbon steel, but I use the coated stainless steel blades from Walgreens or Ted Pella more for purely economic reasons. They're cheaper.

Everyone should try an SE or onjector. They don't work for everyone but a lot of us really believe that the shaves they provide really are the best a man can get.:001_cool:

Go to your User CP and on the left side under Networking you should see Social Groups. Go there and pick out the ones you like and join.

Well, it's settled: the Kyle grip is a winner. I obtained the same "five-star shave of excellence" this morning with a fresh Merkur Super blade. So maybe, as I'm just getting settled on my technique, I'm not yet experienced enough to rate blades in a discriminating way.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed using the Personna Prep, and look forward to employing it a lot. It's nice to see a worthy product made in the USA.

My third shave with this blade in the Merkur HD was a thing of beauty this morning. I had two days' growth, and a 4-pass job gave me a true BBS. I'm new at this, and have been trying out blades @ 2 shaves each for the last two weeks, and this was the first time w/no weepers or irritation, even on the upper lip and neck.

Granted, I changed to Kyle's grip this morning after reading his "What works for me..." post in the Wet Shaving Instructions and Tutorials sticky. I'll give that change-up most of the credit, since holding the razor by the very end of the handle resulted in the lowest-pressure shave I've ever given myself. I was previously holding it close to the head.

I'm starting fresh try-outs of my other blades tomorrow, 3 shaves each with the new grip. We'll see how the Personna Prep stacks up in the new round of trials.

I tried one of these blades at some point and found it to be smooth and comfortable in an EJ DE89L razor, though it didn't give me the closest shave. However, the blade doesn't last for more than 2 shaves, which I guess makes sense given it's a medical prep blade, it's not supposed to be reused, I'd hope...

So far tried it in my fat handled tech and aritocrat JR... neither shave was particularly amazing, not the worst but not the best. Would rank it as less irritating than my old British Wilkinsons, but not quite as nice as other brand new blades I've been trying. So far my old Gillette Blue blade I tried has been my favourite.

Top Bottom