What's new

Medical Prep Personna

If you like 'em, get 'em while you can.

Shaving as preparation for surgical procedures is certainly going to become less and less common. It turns out that for many procedures, shaving the skin before the first incision actually increases the risk of post-operative infection; many hospitals now do not allow their surgeons to shave the skin prior to surgery even if they WANT to.

When all the hospitals have outlawed pre-op shaving, I doubt whoever makes these blades will continue to do so, because they will no longer have a market.

I have heard this as well,some surgeons have been using an oster classic 76 loaded with a 00000 blade , and this seems not to abraid the skin

These blades have a great price in the mention links or stores. Can't get better pricing on these blades. Let us know how it goes on the shaves. Also if possible compare them to any current blades.

David

I want to clear up some confusion regarding this blade. From what I can tell, there are in fact TWO different types of Personna "medical" blades. There are the ones that are stamped "For Hospital Use" and then there are ones that come in blue wrapping, and say "Persona Super." If I am not mistaken, the "Persona Super" ones are used more so for laboratory work, such as histology. The other ones, that are stamped "For Hospital Use" are, of course, used in the Hospital. Generally, instruments and equipment for the hospital are of a higher quality, and have more rigorous quality control. I'm not sure how much that would apply to something as simple as DE blades. Even so, I do believe that there these are two, different types of blades.

I am going to order a box of 100 nest time I place an order for medical supplies (Yes I do work at a medical practice). $35.49 per 100-American. No S&H as we buy ALOT of stuff monthly. Watch for my post, I'm sure some samples can be arranged.

G.

I want to clear up some confusion regarding this blade. From what I can tell, there are in fact TWO different types of Personna "medical" blades. There are the ones that are stamped "For Hospital Use" and then there are ones that come in blue wrapping, and say "Persona Super." If I am not mistaken, the "Persona Super" ones are used more so for laboratory work, such as histology. The other ones, that are stamped "For Hospital Use" are, of course, used in the Hospital. Generally, instruments and equipment for the hospital are of a higher quality, and have more rigorous quality control. I'm not sure how much that would apply to something as simple as DE blades. Even so, I do believe that there these are two, different types of blades.

I think you are mistaken.

There may be two blade wrappings but they both still say for Hospital Use.
Medical prep means just that, preparing for surgery.
I have used previous blades in the whitish wrapper and now the blue wrapper I received from Robbins Instruments.
Same blade, same writing, different wrapper. I see absolutely no difference in the blades.

Now when you buy blades from Ted Pella, they say for industrial or laboratory use. So there is a difference with those blades.

Back to the Hospital Use blades:
I shaved with it this morning and it was a BBS shave. Three passes and no nicks. I used Mama Bear Lime Ice shave stick followed with some C.O. Bigelow cream. Super Lather!
I love the shave of the Israeli Personna blades. This beats that. Picture a cross between a Feather and a Personna. I have a pretty rough beard and it went down quick.
I will post a review after a weeks worth of shaves, changing razors. I started with a Red Tip. Always my go to razor with a Personna.

John

Last edited:

I have used previous blades in the whitish wrapper and now the blue wrapper I received from Robbins Instruments.
Same blade different wrapper. I see absolutely no difference in the blades.

Now when you buy blades from Ted Pella, they say for industrial or laboratory use. So there is a difference with those blades.

I shaved with it this morning and it was a BBS shave. Three passes and no nicks. I used Mama Bear Lime Ice shave stick followed with some C.O. Bigelow cream. Super Lather!
I love the shave of the Israeli Personna blades. This beats that. Picture a cross between a Feather and a Personna. I have a pretty rough beard and it went down quick.
I will post a review after a weeks worth of shaves, changing razors. I started with a Red Tip. Always my go to razor with a Personna.

John

+1. Previously my fav blade was the Personna Red pack. IMO these blades are even better. These are the only blades I have tried to date - and I have tried many - that give me up to 7 BBS shaves per blade.

Same blade, same writing, different wrapper. I see absolutely no difference in the blades.

There are different ones in blue packs from links that have been listed here. I believe those are the ones he is referring to. They do not say For Hospital Use.

See listing F on this page:

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx

My blades are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I'm entirely too geeked out about it.

I have five different types of razors and I plan to shave with each of them for one week and note my results.

61 Fatboy
62 Slim Adjustable
NDC Ball End Tech
51 Super Speed
63 Flare Tip SS

I also have a Merkur HD but I hope to be able to list it on B/S/T before having time to add it to the rotation.

If anyone does do some samples let me know via pm. I want to give these a try but don't want to shell out the money and be disappointed.

Interesting. While the picture is a double edge blade, and description talks about double edge blades, the product title is "Personna Single Edge Prep Razor".

Also, in the list of features:

* Comfort-Coated® for smooth shaves
* Stainless Steel
* Built-in safety profile on the edge
* Less nicking
* Lower risk of infection

What could this "Built-in safety profile" be? :blink:

There are different ones in blue packs from links that have been listed here. I believe those are the ones he is referring to. They do not say For Hospital Use.

See listing F on this page:

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx

I bought blades from Robbins and a friend bought his from emsdisum. I just returned from his house with one of the emsdisum blades. They are both in blue wrappers but the Robbins says for hospital use. Robbins also says stainless while emsdisum says "super." Well, I put the ems blade in a FB razor and gave it a whirl. I don't see any difference in the performance of the blade. The ems gave me a fantastic shave as did the Robbins blade. I will see if the ems blade lasts as long as the Robbins blade - but for shaving purposes I can't tell them apart.

I have e-mailed ems and American Safety Razor company to find out what difference, if any, exists between the two.

John

Sorry to be so blunt...but nope. :lol: I have the said Super Personna, they are not stamped with the "For Hospital Use" on the blade anywhere. I worked in a histology lab over the summer, and they had a big box of those blades, I took a handful (they never use them, we mainly used disposal scalpels...from Feather! :w00t: ) I know what medical prep means, but I do think that these blades in the different blue packaging are "Laboratory" grade. Now, there may end up not actually being any different, simply a relabeled blade, one for hospital use and one for laboratory use, but the packaging is different. Of course, pics say a lot more. So here are some! I do apologize for the horrible webcam pics, but I only have my film cameras with me. Hopefully everything is still legible. I haven't used these blades, as I am still relativly new to the DE, I am still working my way through a sample pack, I have only one Derby to go!

I bought blades from Robbins and a friend bought his from emsdisum. I just returned from his house with one of the emsdisum blades. They are both in blue wrappers but the Robbins says for hospital use. Robbins also says stainless while emsdisum says "super." Well, I put the ems blade in a FB razor and gave it a whirl. I don't see any difference in the performance of the blade. The ems gave me a fantastic shave as did the Robbins blade. I will see if the ems blade lasts as long as the Robbins blade - but for shaving purposes I can't tell them apart.

I have e-mailed ems and American Safety Razor company to find out what difference, if any, exists between the two.

That should hopefully shed some light on these blades. Let us know about the response! Thank you.

Also, before anyone asks, yes my nails are quite long. I play the classical guitar, they are slightly longer, and generally polished, as they are used to pluck the strings. I do sometimes get a few weird looks, how often do you see a guy with nicer nails than most females? :laugh:

Sorry to be so blunt...but nope. :lol: I have the said Super Personna, they are not stamped with the "For Hospital Use" on the blade anywhere. I worked in a histology lab over the summer, and they had a big box of those blades, I took a handful (they never use them, we mainly used disposal scalpels...from Feather! :w00t: ) I know what medical prep means, but I do think that these blades in the different blue packaging are "Laboratory" grade. Now, there may end up not actually being any different, simply a relabeled blade, one for hospital use and one for laboratory use, but the packaging is different. Of course, pics say a lot more. So here are some! I do apologize for the horrible webcam pics, but I only have my film cameras with me. Hopefully everything is still legible. I haven't used these blades, as I am still relativly new to the DE, I am still working my way through a sample pack, I have only one Derby to go!

:nono:Sorry bud, the stolen blades from the histology lab are different from Robbins (at least in the writing on the blade).
Here is a picture of the Robbins blade See Below:

View attachment 124371

Maybe the reason they were in a lab, is because that was their intended purpose.
The company can package the blades any way it wants to.
Saves them money and only those of us that shave with them will make much to do about nothing.

JB

:nono:Sorry bud, the stolen blades from the histology lab are different from Robbins (at least in the writing on the blade).
Here is a picture of the Robbins blade See Below:

View attachment 124371

Maybe the reason they were in a lab, is because that was their intended purpose.
The company can package the blades any way it wants to.
Saves them money and only those of us that shave with them will make much to do about nothing.

JB

Well, the plot thickens, it seems that we are both right! :laugh: That is very interesting, I have never seen the same packaging with two different blade labels inside. Of course, as you said, they could simply be the exact same blade repackaged, or possibly different blades in different packaging. Still, this is very very interesting, I'm quite curious to see what the email response is. :001_huh:

They weren't stolen...simply borrowed...:tongue_sm

I think we will find out that they use that blue label for a number of different blades.
No matter, I highly recommend the Hospital Use blades from Robbins.
If you like a Red Israeli Personna, you love this blade!!:tongue_sm
Smoother and sharper!
JB

I think we will find out that they use that blue label for a number of different blades.
No matter, I highly recommend the Hospital Use blades from Robbins.
If you like a Red Israeli Personna, you love this blade!!:tongue_sm
Smoother and sharper!
JB

Yes, that seems like it would be the most logical reason. OR, some evil minded person at Personna is sitting at his desk, trying to figure out new ways to mess with the poor, fragile minds of DE shavers. Who knows! :lol: I have used the Red Israeli Personna once, and do quite like them, I can't wait to give these a shot!

Well I got my first response from Electron Microscopy Sciences. According to them, in their exact words "Thank you. These are the same exact blades."

If I hear anything from American Safety Razor Company I will let you know.

Top Bottom