What's new

Med Preps vs. Labs

I've said several times on this board (here, here, here, and here) that I thought that Personna's Med Prep and Lab blades are exactly the same, but I've now revised that opinion.

A friend of mine on the other side of the pond, who has used Med Preps for some time, e-mailed me to say that he had just tried a Lab and found that it was not quite as smooth as the Med Prep. This remark, and recent posts by B&B members ackvil and delisle, got me thinking. I decided to try a little experiment -- actually two.

On Day 1, I put a Med Prep in my Gibbs DE razor and a Lab in my Old Type (both are open-comb razors, about equally aggressive). For the first pass, I shaved one side of my face with the Gibbs and the other side with the Old Type; for the second pass, I swapped the blades. I was surprised to find that, in both razors, the Med Prep was slightly smoother than the Lab.

On Day 2, I closed my eyes, shuffled the blades, and, with my eyes still closed, put one in the Gibbs and the other in the Old Type. I honestly had no idea which razor had which blade. (Don't try this at home!) I then did a three-pass shave, alternating between the two razors as I went along. The idea, of course, was to see if I could tell which blade was which. Before the end of the first pass, I had no doubt that the Med Prep was in the Old Type -- and, in fact, when I opened the razors at the end of the shave, there it was. My conclusion: the Med Prep delivers a perceptibly smoother shave than the Lab.

Supposedly the only difference between Labs and Med Preps is that Med Preps go through a final washing process. I've always found it hard to imagine, though, that washing could change the way a blade shaves. But then I noticed on Personna's Med Prep page that another feature of Med Preps is that they are "Comfort-Coated® for smooth shaves". My friend asked his vendor about this, and the vendor (who must remain nameless here) said that the coating is PTFE (a/k/a Teflon). Now that, to me, would explain the difference! Although I couldn't find information on the Personna website as to whether Labs are coated or not, it seems to me that there would be no reason to coat blades intended for laboratory use. And the absence of coating would also explain why Labs cost less than Med Preps.

To recap, I think that Med Preps are slightly smoother than Labs (your results may vary, of course), because Med Preps are PTFE-coated, while Labs are not. Edit: But I was wrong about the coating. See Jon1944's post, below.

Your thoughts? Can anyone confirm that Labs are, in fact, not coated?

Last edited:
The box of 100 lab blades that I got from razor blades and more, says that they are comfort coated on the box. I have both and I can't tell any difference.

You're right! Same on my box, also from RB&M. I missed that.

That shoots down my theory. So any perceived difference has to do with the final washing process that Med Preps get. Or maybe with slight variations in the quality of the blades.

The mystery, and the mystique, continues....

P.S. Has anyone ever observed a Med Prep and a Lab under a microscope? Is there any visual difference? And, most important, can you post pictures?

Last edited:
Well, I was hoping Manoover would chime in on this thread. Based on his assertion that he could tell no difference between the Med and the Lab I was all set to order 100 of the Labs when I could scrape up the $.

At Razor Blades and More, the difference is $18 for the Labs compared to $31 for the Meds. Now I'm stuck wondering if the difference is worth 17 cents a blade. Having only tried the Labs, I guess I'll have to break down and order some Meds and compare them for myself - but I hate the shipping costs!

It is said they are identical grinds. The Med blades have to be "koshered" for the hospital market and the extra processing is what increases their cost. The difference is as much as 18¢ each? Well for 21¢ I have bought 3 Shark SS blades which work very well for me and Manny Othurz. :tongue_sm No bang for the buck, no sale to me. I was in retail; I know what sort of value I'm after.

Well, I was hoping Manoover would chime in on this thread. Based on his assertion that he could tell no difference between the Med and the Lab I was all set to order 100 of the Labs when I could scrape up the $.

At Razor Blades and More, the difference is $18 for the Labs compared to $31 for the Meds. Now I'm stuck wondering if the difference is worth 17 cents a blade. Having only tried the Labs, I guess I'll have to break down and order some Meds and compare them for myself - but I hate the shipping costs!

Well, I haven't done the same side-by-side testing that Viseguy did (and I haven't examined the grind under a microscope). What I did was shave a sample Lab blade for a week (6 times) in my Merkur HD, directly after shaving a Med Prep for the prior week in the same handle. I was eager to know if there was any difference, and I couldn't detect any, getting the same great shave. For me, they are the same, and my next bulk order will be for the Labs.

One of our Stewards (ackvil) has confirmation from the ASR manufacturer, via e-mail and telephone conversations, that the two blades are produced by identical methods, except for the extra final clean-up done for the Med Prep blades. See this post.

That's about as definitive as it gets, although I suppose it would be a treat for someone like SiBurning to post side-by-side comparitive microscopic photography of both blades. Given ackvil's research and my own experience, I'm already convinced! :001_smile

P.S. As you can see from this thread, different people have different experiences, so your BEST BET, before buying in bulk, would be to order a 10-pack of Lab blades from razorbladesandmore.com and try them yourself. He's out of stock right now, but you can contact David at that site (or here on B&B, via PM to user iamdarkangel2005) to find out when he expects to have them on sale again.

Last edited:
Thanks for checking in, man00ver. And for the link to the earlier thread.

My friend has come up with an interesting theory to account for the difference we are feeling between the two blades. If Med Preps and Labs are made in different locations, on different sets of machines, this may account for slight differences in the way they shave, even if the basic manufacturing process is the same. This would be consistent with what the Personna rep said to ackvil last year:
I asked why the two blades and the answer is that the same blade is made by two different divisions. The Robbins blade is made by the Medical Division while the EMS blade is made by the "industrial" division, which sells it to labs. However, the process for making the two blades is the same and the blades for all practical purposes are identical.

Of course, "made by two different divisions" doesn't necessarily mean "made in two different locations"; that would have to be clarified.

The other possibility, of course, is that the extra washing process that Med Preps receive does, in fact, slightly affect the way they shave. That has always sounded improbable to me -- especially since Personna itself says otherwise.

I must say I'm very happy with my Labs, and I think the two blades become indistinguishable by the second or third shave. I'm not sure that the slight perceived difference is worth paying a premium for Med Preps. I'll see how I feel when I get through my box of 100 Labs.

Last edited:
I recently ordered both some med prep and supers from Razor Blades and More, included in the shipment were some plain white paper covered blades which I assume are the Personna Barber blades. The Med pred blades are for hospital use, and made in the U.S.. The Platinum Supers are made in Israel. The white paper blades have no personna markings at all, but are made in the U.S.. I haven't played enough to test for differences.

I recently ordered both some med prep and supers from Razor Blades and More, included in the shipment were some plain white paper covered blades which I assume are the Personna Barber blades. The Med pred blades are for hospital use, and made in the U.S.. The Platinum Supers are made in Israel. The white paper blades have no personna markings at all, but are made in the U.S.. I haven't played enough to test for differences.

Actually, the Personna Lab blades (which have "Super" printed on the blade, and are in the same individual blue wrappers as the Med Preps), are made in the Vienna, VA plant here in the US. The Super Platinum Chrome blades are made in Israel, I believe.

I'm kinda bummed the lab blades don't seem to be shaving as well for me. aside from the difference in price I really like the dispenser box. it sits with the dispenser end hanging just over the edge of my medicine cabinet shelf, so I can just grab a blade with a fingertip when I need one. But hey, the comfort of the shave is worth more to me than the convenience of clever packaging.

I shaved with a fresh Lab yesterday and tried a Med for the first time today. So far I'd say that if there is a difference it's too subtle for me to measure. I got a bloodless BBS shave with both the Lab & the Med BUT both require many more passes to get the same quality of shave I get with a Feather (I'm using a 37c Slant.)

I was very hopeful that I found a lower cost blade that equaled the performance of the Feather and the reports that the Lab - which costs far less than the Med - was considered a superior blade to the Feather was promising.

My first shaves with the Lab exceeded my Feather performance BUT at that time I was still very much learning the Slant and I was nicking up my face with the Feather. Now that my technique is stable, I think I have to accept that the Feather still reigns superior.

Anyway, I try a few more shaves with the Lab and the Med and report if I ever notice a difference but at this point I can't discern between the two.

A few months down the line, and what's the verdict?

Personally, I feel that the Meds are way smoother than the Labs, which I find to be rough. I think they are both the same in terms of sharpness.

A few months down the line, and what's the verdict?

Personally, I feel that the Meds are way smoother than the Labs, which I find to be rough. I think they are both the same in terms of sharpness.

+1

Same here. Meds are smoother and last longer.

I haven't tried the labs yet, but reds vs meds I like them both... Reds seem sharper and meds are longer lasting so its relatively the same cost and all produce great results. With reds I got 3-4 shaves vs meds 5-7 all using my slim set on 8 I could easily use these both everyday I'm sure the Labs are similar to the reds 3-4 shave blade. With a box of meds and getting a whole week out of 1 blade shoot 1 box of a 100 will last almost 2 years... So start justify away

:chef:
It is said they are identical grinds. The Med blades have to be "koshered" for the hospital market and the extra processing is what increases their cost. The difference is as much as 18¢ each? Well for 21¢ I have bought 3 Shark SS blades which work very well for me and Manny Othurz. :tongue_sm No bang for the buck, no sale to me. I was in retail; I know what sort of value I'm after.

Actually , it is impossible to produce a kosher razor blade !!!:w00t:

Attachments

• $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzttttttttt.jp
    $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzttttttttt.jp
    49.2 KB · Views: 487
I know this is a little bit of a necro post, however, if someone could ship me say 5 of each of the med prep and lab personnas (or more if they can be spared... entirely for science of course), I can take some pictures under a microscope and see if there is a difference. I can post the pictures, and let everyone see if they can see the difference for themselves.

I have access to some fantastic equipment, so if there are other blades that need to be scanned, I can do those as well- maybe a new thread all to itself?

Jeff

I know this is a little bit of a necro post, however, if someone could ship me say 5 of each of the med prep and lab personnas (or more if they can be spared... entirely for science of course), I can take some pictures under a microscope and see if there is a difference. I can post the pictures, and let everyone see if they can see the difference for themselves.

I have access to some fantastic equipment, so if there are other blades that need to be scanned, I can do those as well- maybe a new thread all to itself?

Jeff

There were some great pictures in this thread.

The pictures don't seem to be showing up for me...

Offer still stands, I can run these at least 40X magnification and take a look, or of any blades. Might be interesting at 100X or higher

Top Bottom