What's new

Med Personna was okay

I know some of you may see this as blasphemy. Today I loaded up a sample medical personna into my E&J DE89l and it was ok. Better than many blades I've tried but I prefer my Lords. It gave me a little redness on my neck after only a 2 pass shave. With my lords I get consistently smooth comfortable shaves with 3 or even 4 passes.

I also prefer my Merkur 38C to my E&J DE89l.

Well this isn't a one size fits all hobby/lifestyle. Most of the vets know this. So I wouldn't worry about stepping on any toes. I've bought blades that came "highly recommended" and didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. To each his own.:thumbup1:

You might want to try it in your Merkur, Nudd. It's definitely my favorite in the 34C; smoooooth, sharp and irritation-free. I get along well with Lord Plats also, after the first shave.

Is nothing sacred? I still haven't tried mine - tomorrow is the day - but I almost felt offended by the post. Blasphemy in deed sir.

Actually I appreciate the post, I'll keep it in mind. :001_smile

I found them smooth, but mild.
I have to do two passes to equal one pass with a Feather.
I'm not buying them again.

I have to do two passes to equal one pass with a Feather.

I've found this as well. Feather seems to get more hair and more evenly on the first pass. But the Super's get me clean on my cheeks on one pass. Just leave hair in spots on my neck and all over my chin. Feather is also more rough as a daily shaver though.

When I use the Super's I crank my progress up to 3 for the first pass usually. Then use 2.5 for subsequent passes. Seems to work well enough for me and I get basically BBS in 3 passes without much irritation.

I love to see people say what they feel. It's about you and your face. I love the Meds and have stopped looking further. They feel great for me. Find the ones that feel great for you! Best of luck.

The meds are a real nice and friendly blade but I agree with the OP about the Lords. Especially the SS. Don't agree on the razor though...:001_smile

I tried one of these today and was very nonplussed with their performance. I have an average to light beard and used my standard test razor, which is a flare-tip super speed.

All in all, the shave was not very close and worse than many. For the money, I think that most people who like these blades would be better off with Sharks, which are currently selling on ebay for less than $25 for 300 blades.

Red Personnas or Israeli Personnas, which are very good blades but not in the sharpest category, vastly outperformed these. The Israeli Personnas sell on ebay for less than $20 per 100 blades, and the Red Personnas sell for around $22 for 100 blades. So these are the same price or a little higher than the Medicals but the blade is much sharper. As usual, YMMV.

Last edited:
I know some of you may see this as blasphemy. Today I loaded up a sample medical personna into my E&J DE89l and it was ok. Better than many blades I've tried but I prefer my Lords. It gave me a little redness on my neck after only a 2 pass shave. With my lords I get consistently smooth comfortable shaves with 3 or even 4 passes.

I also prefer my Merkur 38C to my E&J DE89l.

Would you like to do a blade exchange? I have some samples and I would love to demo the Medical blades.

I was also really excited to use these blades from reading another thread that touted them as the smoothest blade on the market. However, for me it was the worst blade I've tried yet (out of derbs, feathers, sharks, red IPs, gillette blacks). It didn't feel very sharp and kept skipping. I cut myself pretty bad, and have worse than normal irritation. After two shaves I think I'm just going to toss it. Not worth a bad shave. YMMV

It didn't feel very sharp and kept skipping.
If it didn't feel very sharp to you, it is indeed the blade's fault. However, I would attribute the skipping to issues with the lather, no? Besides the blade, were all other aspects of your shave pretty typical?

Meds work great for me. Out of the blades you listed, which ones work best for you?

If it didn't feel very sharp to you, it is indeed the blade's fault. However, I would attribute the skipping to issues with the lather, no? Besides the blade, were all other aspects of your shave pretty typical?

Meds work great for me. Out of the blades you listed, which ones work best for you?

My shave with the Personna Meds was very typical as far as routine and soaps go. I used Tabac, my go to soap. The major cut from the meds I will attribute to my own fault, but otherwise the shave wasn't great like I mentioned.

So far, I've really enjoyed the gillette blacks, and red IPs. The feathers were good after the first shave, but maybe I was just to cavalier about the first time, as I got a lot of irritation and cut myself up a bit.

I had a similar reaction on Wednesday when I tried the Med's for the first time. I got a bit cocky since they it was so smooth on my face that I let my technique slip and ended up with a bunch of razor burn tho it was the first DE shave that was better than a cartridge shave. Very smooth with just a little bit of stuble on my left rear jawline.

Now that my face has had a day to recover I'll try it again tonight! Overall I think the Med's will be my standard blade.

- Brad

They are my standard blade now. I agree that it's easy to get cocky with them because they are so smooth. I have to take it easy with them, particularly on my neck.

But, I've always been very prone to rash on my neck. In fact I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I've experienced a shave (DE, cartridge or otherwise) where I can really say I got no rash at all on my neck. Taking my time with a Persona Med has reduced my neck rash considerably.

The Med Preps have been a good blade for me. Although it works for me doesn't mean it will be the best for the next person. My beard isn't especially heavy and these cut through it like better, two passes for a great shave. Four good shaves per blade.

Top Bottom