What's new

Mechanical Keyboards

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Oh, I just meant that it was good--not that you could "service" it or something. I see how that was confusing.

I thought so but wanted to make sure haha. A keyboard you could actually service and use for years is a tall order.

I thought so but wanted to make sure haha. A keyboard you could actually service and use for years is a tall order.
I bought a couple Logitech G512 SE keyboards just over three years ago, one for home, one for work. Yeah, I dislike Apple's keyboards so much I spent my own money so I didn't have to use one. The work one has been my daily driver since then. And it's just started doing the same thing yours did. I know it's not a premium board, but I do expect it to outlast what I used at home years ago. Which was the cheapest keyboards I could find at Office Depot. FWIW, I dragged my old Microsoft keyboard out from behind a chair and it still works fine. I'm pretty sure my even older Logitech bottom feeder rubber dome one would to if I could find it.

To say I'm disappointed it in would be an understatement. Two or three years out of a keyboard is absolutely unacceptable. Especially when durability is one of the often touted benefits of mechanical keyboards. The G512's replacement for now is a Logitech G15 I found at a thrift store for $6, cleaned with a Clorox wipe and it's good as new.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I bought a couple Logitech G512 SE keyboards just over three years ago, one for home, one for work. Yeah, I dislike Apple's keyboards so much I spent my own money so I didn't have to use one. The work one has been my daily driver since then. And it's just started doing the same thing yours did. I know it's not a premium board, but I do expect it to outlast what I used at home years ago. Which was the cheapest keyboards I could find at Office Depot. FWIW, I dragged my old Microsoft keyboard out from behind a chair and it still works fine. I'm pretty sure my even older Logitech bottom feeder rubber dome one would to if I could find it.

To say I'm disappointed it in would be an understatement. Two or three years out of a keyboard is absolutely unacceptable. Especially when durability is one of the often touted benefits of mechanical keyboards. The G512's replacement for now is a Logitech G15 I found at a thrift store for $6, cleaned with a Clorox wipe and it's good as new.

The G512 I see has different switches than the Romer G that were in mine. Thats likely why it's lasted longer. Logitech switches, even in the top of the line mice, arent what they use to be. I just dug out the receipt for my MX Master that I bought on sale for $79.99 July 22 2021 at Best Buy so I havent even had it a full year yet and even now, on occasion, it miss clicks. Usually on a right click or on the thumb button I have set to 'Back'. The buttons dont feel the same either but feel soft and mushy. Not secure and of high quality like the older Performance MX and even MX1000 felt like.

I recommended a mouse to a friend when I built his machine, now almost 10 years ago. A Logitech G5 wired gaming mouse. That mouse still works flawlessly. This MX Master wont survive 5 years.

I seem to have fixed the light issue on the [ key however. I blew it out and its been fine since. My next mouse will likely be Corsair as well and I've been a loyal Logitech fan for almost 20 years.

My next mouse will likely be Corsair as well and I've been a loyal Logitech fan for almost 20 years.

I bought a Corsair M65 Elite mouse in White in Aug 2020. Cool mouse, and I loved the sniper button (or whatever it was called). I got less than a year's use, before it started missing clicks, so I bought a new Logitech MX518. Before the Corsair, I had the original 518 with the dented look for a dozen years. I preferred the old dented look, but the new one has worked as good as the original.

I have a corsair mouse i think it is an M65 Elite as well, it is black and a few years old. It replaced a Saitech? Cyborg R.A.T. 7 that i got circa 2007. It is in daily gaming use to the gentleman i passed it on to.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I bought a Corsair M65 Elite mouse in White in Aug 2020. Cool mouse, and I loved the sniper button (or whatever it was called). I got less than a year's use, before it started missing clicks, so I bought a new Logitech MX518. Before the Corsair, I had the original 518 with the dented look for a dozen years. I preferred the old dented look, but the new one has worked as good as the original.

Thats good to know. Whichever mouse it is, needs to be cordless and rechargeable. I cant do cords anymore. Maybe by the time this one gives it up, they'll be back to their old standards.

Kinesis Advantage2.

Mine (plural) are all currently Cherry Brown but if/when replaced I may go for the quieter Cherry Red version. :p

The first time my wife used mine (I got one for work and liked it so much I bought another one for home) she said, "Ooh, ick." Then about a week later she asked me, "Uh, where can I get one of these for my office at work?"

Random photo. I don't use the foam palm pads on mine.

k2.jpg

I do go through keyboards, what with the constant abuse and all. Mice, too. The cheaper mice don't last long enough under my onslaught, and aren't precise enough, so I've had to spring for the ones aimed at the gamer market. The most recent one is awesome. Well-made, and it doesn't change colors all the time, as the last one did. It doesn't even light up. It's a...what is this thing, anyway?

(checks Amazon history)

Um, "BenQ Zowie EC1." You can't imagine how glad I am that this branding appears nowhere on the mouse itself.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Kinesis Advantage2.

Mine (plural) are all currently Cherry Brown but if/when replaced I may go for the quieter Cherry Red version. :p

The first time my wife used mine (I got one for work and liked it so much I bought another one for home) she said, "Ooh, ick." Then about a week later she asked me, "Uh, where can I get one of these for my office at work?"

Random photo. I don't use the foam palm pads on mine.

View attachment 1406324

I thought about a similar type years ago but I've never have learned to type properly haha. I only use two fingers, middle right finger and left index finger. I can still manage 70 words per minute, accurately, on a decent day too!

About a decade ago, I bought a DAS Model S Professional with Cherry Blues. Built like a tank, shows almost zero wear after all that time. Every key still works perfectly.

Thats good news. You've given me hope on these Cherry Reds!

I do go through keyboards, what with the constant abuse and all. Mice, too. The cheaper mice don't last long enough under my onslaught, and aren't precise enough, so I've had to spring for the ones aimed at the gamer market. The most recent one is awesome. Well-made, and it doesn't change colors all the time, as the last one did. It doesn't even light up. It's a...what is this thing, anyway?

(checks Amazon history)

Um, "BenQ Zowie EC1." You can't imagine how glad I am that this branding appears nowhere on the mouse itself.

With mice I dont like or need all the fancy frills. I need precision for photoshop and gaming and I need customizable buttons. On the Logitech mice thats the top rearmost thumb button I set to Double Click and the thumb rest button I set to Back. That thumb rest on this MX Master is a bit of a nuisance because its so big.

26f94f9f-efdb-4f0d-9297-d6e5838c61d8._SL300__.jpg

I'm constantly hitting the right side of the keyboard with it but, being able to push it straight down to go back a page is nice. I dont need to move my thumb from its normal position and the double click button is right above it. A high quality production mouse is what I like. I like to work quickly. The scroll wheel on this mouse is a clear upgrade over the older mice though.

Those with temperamental keyboard issues, did you try to clean them? A few times I have opened the case on my budget low-end keyboard to soak the non-electric parts in a sink with mild cleaner. A spray of electronic parts cleaner can be used on the PCB if needed. Perhaps more care is needed with the keyboards mentioned here, but I think the same principle applies as our hands are not always as clean as we might like due to eating, hand lotion, working, etc. Remote controls are worse, with many pushing buttons while eating finger food.

Some good keyboard ideas mentioned here. I don't really want a RGB keyboards, or I should say I have not used one so I don't fully appreciate what benefit they bring other that backlighting. Do any of those red, blue, brown, ... switches feel like the IBM Thinkpad keyboard?

There isn't a one-to-one correlate between any of the Cherry Switches and the Model M. They released a green a while back that was supposed to mimic the classic M sound and feel, but the jury is hung on whether or not they succeeded. If you want the sound, I'd say go the Blue, if you want the feel, then the Greens are your best bet. If you want both, then get a Unicomp.

If you want both, then get a Unicomp.
Well, yes. My wife's crappy keyboard failed, and I lent her one of my Unicomps. She's a touch typist, and I could hear her flailing away at the thing, at speeds I will never be able to match. She's not the type to get excited about a keyboard, but at some point she allowed as how it was an awfully good keyboard. When her generic replacement arrived, I couldn't bear to swap it in, so it went to the garage as a backup.

So, without meaning to, I think I made a Unicomp convert.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Those with temperamental keyboard issues, did you try to clean them?

Yep. I cleaned mine every time it started double stroking. It was an ongoing issue with that Logi board for a while. It didnt make it a year before it started.

Logitech (*Maximum Stress) G810 Orion RGB mechanical KB
*Maximum stress because its constantly double stroking single key presses even with Keyboard Chatter Fix installed. It has however outlived two Logitech K800 KB's that failed to survive even a year of gaming.

Thats from May of last year and I'd cleaned it 3 or 4 times between then and starting this thread.

Cleaning it would solve the issue for a while, a couple months or so, but then it would slowly start again and got worse and worse. I think the Romer G switches just wore out the last time it got really bad because cleaning it did nothing at all to help. The first couple times I did clean it though, it worked perfectly after and I thought it would last me years.

Those with temperamental keyboard issues, did you try to clean them?
I removed the keycap on the worst key and hit it with some canned air. It didn't really help. I'll try some alcohol on it in the future. It's pretty clean, not anywhere near where it would cross my mind that it needed to be disassembled for cleaning.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'll try some alcohol on it in the future.

Thats what I use. A shot glass and a synthetic shave brush I dont use is just the ticket. Just make sure it dries out well before you use it haha.

I removed the keycap on the worst key and hit it with some canned air. It didn't really help. I'll try some alcohol on it in the future. It's pretty clean, not anywhere near where it would cross my mind that it needed to be disassembled for cleaning.
I spilled a drink on mine once and some the keys started sticking in the down position a few days later. :laugh: Disassembly and soaking was necessary for its recovery. I repeated that procedure on another keyboard that had built up a lot of dust/dirt and I wanted to get it out of all the key edges so that it looked nice. Last month the volume button on my old stereo remote stopped working, a similar disassembly and soaking of that inner rubber membrane and cleaning the PCB contacts off with electro-wash restored its function.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have a corsair mouse i think it is an M65 Elite as well, it is black and a few years old. It replaced a Saitech? Cyborg R.A.T. 7 that i got circa 2007. It is in daily gaming use to the gentleman i passed it on to.
I use a Corsair M65 Pro RGB mouse and love it. I use the sniper button all the time. Not only for gaming, but for fine detail work when I need to instantly and temporarily increase the resolution of my mouse movements. For example in image editing or video work. I also like the way I can set the regular mouse resolution to my taste very quickly and easily. And it fits my hand very well. Great weight too. I bought this mouse in 2016 and pound on it every day I am in the home office, for hours and hours. So I would consider it highly durable. It has never missed a beat in the six years I’ve had it.

I also have the Zowie mouse too. It’s got a great quick response time and good solid buttons. But it feels cheap in the hand and just doesn’t have the fit and finish of a higher end gaming mouse.

I'm middle aged and like unicorn rainbow puke.

My Disco keyboard with brown switches took a dump on me after only 3 years. I replaced with a Glorious GMMK with swappable switches. Not happy with the Gateron browns, I picked up some Gateron Silver Pro two-stage spring switches - lower actuation force and travel distance. I'm an average typist by any measure, but the new switches appear to be helping.

PXL_20220219_203646758.jpg

Top Bottom