What's new

Mechanical Keyboards

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've been using a Logitech G810 Orion the last couple years and have a stack, literally, of old and half dead keyboards. Between gaming and typing as much as I do on this forum, I'm pretty hard on them. I have two basically new Logitech K800 lighted keyboards that are new except for the 'E' key. The scissor switch broke on them both from gaming.

This G810 I'm on hasnt been that bad but its a hybrid mechanical design and I just finished cleaning it for the 4th or 5th time and I'm still getting keystroke errors even while running Keyboard Chatter Fix. This board is nearly done.

Untitled.png

I've been looking at Corsair K70's because I also want customizable RGB lighting but know nothing of Cherry MX switches. This constant double stroking is driving me nuts. I spend more time fixing typos than I do typing!

This has been my first foray into mechanical keyboards and, even with its problems, I'll only have mechanical boards from now on. I need something thats under $300CAD and preferably under $200CAD, wired, that will withstand a few years of vigorous use.

Suggestions?

I am on my second k70. First board had Red switches which were too mushy. Now I have Blues which are very clicky. I prefer the blues. Browns are supposed to be clicky but less so than blue. Some people find blues loud. For me it sounds like a keyboard. I set the RGB in an app called ckbnext on Linux. On windows you can use their icue software. Once set once it will stay whether you use the program or not. The profile is saved directly to the board. It is a very nice keyboard and pretty easy to clean. My Red k70 still works and I gave it to a friend. I have had it since 2008 I think. I replaced a couple of keycaps that were no longer secure. I think it still needs a keycap that is loose. I was very hard on it.

After using a Saitek Eclipse II for 10+ years, I switched to a Redragon K556 Brown. Once you go lit, you can never go back. With the Eclipse, you had a choice of 3 colors. With the Redragon, I have loads of options. I've had the Redragon going on 4 years now, with no issues, and love the keyboard. The extra switches they provided came in handy when I spilled a glass of ale on it. I think my ASWD keys are now blue, and a few keys are other than Brown, but I don't really notice a difference.

I have a Logitech 610 i think it is, with Cherry Brown switches and it still works pretty well after a few years. I'm not a gamer though and just use my boards for typing. I think the strength of Cherry switches are that they last a little longer than a lot of the cheaper switches you can find these days. I have an Anne Pro 2 with Gateron Blues and while the switches were great when new, they pretty quickly started to get wonky and start doing weird things like registering multiple presses when I only pressed them once. Another board I have with Cherry Blues has worked longer even though I don't enjoy the feel of the Cherry switches quite as much as the Gaterons.

For typing, I really like my Unicomp keyboard. If you haven't looked at those, they're worth a look. A group of people bought the tooling for the old IBM Model M and basically continue to make it with some modern features like USB if you want that. While it's fantastic for typing, it's probably not a gaming board. But a lot of those original Model M keyboards continue to work great even though they're now 30 or more years old.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I am on my second k70. First board had Red switches which were too mushy. Now I have Blues which are very clicky. I prefer the blues. Browns are supposed to be clicky but less so than blue. Some people find blues loud. For me it sounds like a keyboard. I set the RGB in an app called ckbnext on Linux. On windows you can use their icue software. Once set once it will stay whether you use the program or not. The profile is saved directly to the board. It is a very nice keyboard and pretty easy to clean. My Red k70 still works and I gave it to a friend. I have had it since 2008 I think. I replaced a couple of keycaps that were no longer secure. I think it still needs a keycap that is loose. I was very hard on it.

Thats good news! I couldnt take it anymore and went and bought one. On sale, $60 off.

CORSAIR K70 RGB MK.2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Backlit RGB LED, Cherry MX Red - https://www.staples.ca/products/2929747-en-corsair-k70-rgb-mk2-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-backlit-rgb-led-cherry-mx-red

I wanted blues to but thats an animal Corsair doesnt even have in stock.

After using a Saitek Eclipse II for 10+ years

Ha! I still have my old Saitek Eclipse! Its so worn the keys are white but it still works in a pinch. They dont make them like that anymore but I've grown use to lighted keyboards and wont be without them anymore.

For typing, I really like my Unicomp keyboard. If you haven't looked at those, they're worth a look. A group of people bought the tooling for the old IBM Model M and basically continue to make it with some modern features like USB if you want that. While it's fantastic for typing, it's probably not a gaming board. But a lot of those original Model M keyboards continue to work great even though they're now 30 or more years old.

I still have my old DIN IBM. I'll bet it still works too. I seem to be collecting keyboards...

One son uses a Corsair k70, lux RGB, cherry, going strong after 4 years of hours daily gaming.

He loves it. Amazon has good sales on them from time to time. We paid $149.

The equal today would he this one:

Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - USB Passthrough & Media Controls - Linear & Quiet - Cherry MX Red - RGB LED Backlit https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07D5S54C6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_1PE01HPS2JM58AB2WXEN

Yep, thats the one I bought. Love the USB pass through too. I have a Logitech MX Master mouse and I could eliminate that cable. Logitech isnt what they use to be. I still have and use my older Performance MX and it still works fine after all these years. This MX Master's switches are already starting to fail and I dont think I've had it two years yet. My MX1000 died at age 10.

This keyboard is pretty nice. The software is good but you have to make a profile before you can set up a custom light scheme, not a big deal but the Logitech software was easier to use and less complex. It came with a key puller and two extra sets of keys. W,S,A,D and F, O(2), E, R and W. It does take up two USB ports but thats okay. Nice palm rest too but I dont use it. A nice high quality board. I hope it lasts as long you guys suggest!

I would have liked Cherry Blue switches but beggars cant be choosers! Thanks people!

Enjoy it they are good keyboards. I used red switches up until a few years ago. Supposedly they are better for gaming. I haven't really gamed in several years.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Best mechanical keyboard I ever had was a Das Keyboard. They're expensive, but it lasted a number of years before I had an accident with it. I've gone through a couple that have been disappointing. I may splurge on a Das Keyboard again soon.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I use the Corsair Strafe keyboards. They are quite similar to the K70. My first one had the MX Blues. They had amazing feel and rebound. But when I was on a zoom call, they were so incredibly loud, that people constantly complained about the clicking noise. It was enough to prompt me to buy the same keyboard with the MX Silent switches. They feel almost as good… really close… but 70% less clicking noise. Never had a complaint again. You should do well with those MX reds. They are all great. As mentioned, once you go mechanical and RGB, it’s tough to go back. I even have a RGB keyboard on my laptop.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Enjoy it they are good keyboards. I used red switches up until a few years ago. Supposedly they are better for gaming. I haven't really gamed in several years.

Whatever will hold up the longest is what I like, everything else are frills really but I like the frills.

Best mechanical keyboard I ever had was a Das Keyboard. They're expensive, but it lasted a number of years before I had an accident with it. I've gone through a couple that have been disappointing. I may splurge on a Das Keyboard again soon.

I hadnt heard of Das, thanks for the mention. Ducky was on the list but trying to find a quick replacement locally, its out of the question.

Unicomp all the way for me.

Hadnt heard of them either. This is what I hoped to get, more ideas. Hopefully, I'll get five years out of this one and I'm already thinking about its replacement lol.

I use a Model M, Lexmark, IBM, Part No. 59G7980

I dug mine out to have a look. It's an IBM Model KB-7953. I was sure it was an older DIN model but that one must be long gone. All the keys on it feel as good as new and, arguably, equal to this Corsair but different. It needs a cleaning but its basically in like new condition.

I use the Corsair Strafe keyboards. They are quite similar to the K70. My first one had the MX Blues. They had amazing feel and rebound. But when I was on a zoom call, they were so incredibly loud, that people constantly complained about the clicking noise. It was enough to prompt me to buy the same keyboard with the MX Silent switches. They feel almost as good… really close… but 70% less clicking noise. Never had a complaint again. You should do well with those MX reds. They are all great. As mentioned, once you go mechanical and RGB, it’s tough to go back. I even have a RGB keyboard on my laptop.

I looked at the Strafe on Amazon and its pretty much the same board with different switch choices, I think. Thats good to know about the MX Silent. These switches arent what I'd call loud but I have a tendency to hit them harder than necessary and I can hear the board itself ring a bit. I'm just not use to it yet and still in the habit of hammering that Logitech to get a firm keystroke and limit double stroking or not stroking at all and then double stroking. What a PITA that was and why did it put up with it as long as I did? lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That's a rubber dome keyboard. Probably a good quality one but still nothing at all like a Model M.

That fact that it still works and feels fine after all these years is something the companies making keyboards today should think about. I guess if they all made things that lasted so many years, they'd go broke lol.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I've got the bug and started buying and fiddling around with mechanical keyboards lately. But only TKL ones.

Top Bottom