What's new

Measuring Your Honing Pressure

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning while doing after-shave maintenance using my Coticule/BBW combo, I decided to measure the amount of pressure I was using while honing. To do this, I placed the whetstone on some digital kitchen scale, wet the honing surface and reset the scale readout back to zero.

DSCF1048.JPG
I then commenced to hone as I normally would while keeping an eye on the digital readout. I found that my honing pressure was regularly about 200g to 250g (2000N to 2500N). I then tried to see how light I could go. With a bit of practice, I got my pressure down to about a consistent 100g to 150g (1000N to 1500N). I will probably repeat this little test every so often to see how my honing pressure is going.

If you can, try it and see how you go.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Interesting thread.....I tend to struggle with pressure issues periodically.....Usually after the spouse yells at me or trouble at work. Both are a bad time to hone. Quantifying that would be interesting....

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I've got 2 videos doing the same thing. One on my jnat and the other on my coticule. I believe my finishing pressure was around 50 grams but it is also just a 30$ scale.

I believe in one video I measured the weight of the razor and that was about where my finishing touches were at. Scale was zeroed with just the stone on it.

Jnat

Coticule
If your scales were reading in ounces, 10oz = about 280g.

Is the measured pressure after subtracting the tare weight of the hone. I would consider 250g blade pressure to be useful for setting a bevel, but I would think final finishing would be done using the weight of the razor alone, about 100 grams for a 5/8" razor and a little higher for larger razors.

Don’t over think it. It’s just honing use pressure when needed, lighten up when not or finishing. New guys see this and get overwhelmed, “I have to weigh my strokes, too?”

If it works for you, rock on.

There are no rules.
But for every guy who worries about having the weigh the strokes, there's another that get's to say "see honey I told you this scale would be useful for something normal."

I hadn't even considered using the scale on this, but I not I want to just to see what the readings are. Much like how a chronometer isn't necessary in reloading and the proof is in the group size and it's just fun to see if the guess or calculation was correct, I'd like to feel what pressure I am actually applying. I don't have to, I get to.

Is the measured pressure after subtracting the tare weight of the hone. I would consider 250g blade pressure to be useful for setting a bevel, but I would think final finishing would be done using the weight of the razor alone, about 100 grams for a 5/8" razor and a little higher for larger razors.
100g seems quite heavy for a 5/8” razor. I weigh all my razors (is that weird?). My lightest 4/8 come in at around 30g. 5/8 are typically 33-42g. My heaviest razors are around 70-75g and that is usually a 6/8+ wedge with a thick set of scales. I think my heaviest blade (sans scales) is 57g for a 7/8 French wedge that also features a 3.3” long blade (most straights are right around 3” even). So to me “weight of the razor” should be below 50g of pressure. That said, I’ve never tried to weigh my honing pressure. Definitely something to try next time I hone.

The only time I've tried to record pressure (force, actually) was when trying to emulate the numbers recorded for Iwasaki's honing progression. I forget the numbers and don't want to look for them but it was ridiculous. This had to be done on a bathroom scale. I did manage to achieve the numbers but just barely.
Other than that, no need really. Thinking in terms of light - medium - heavy works fine and gauging it is easy enough via feel and other audible and tactile 'tells'. Most of the time, I find it's really more about relative amounts than actual amounts.

The ideal will be a system that does not need pressure during the honning progression, only the weight of sr

The ideal will be a system that does not need pressure during the honning progression, only the weight of sr

I’m not sure this is entirely possible. I almost never just use the weight of the razor, you’d be honing for ever. On the last few strokes it’s good but other than that a fair amount of pressure is needed imo especially in the early stages.

I personally like to be aware of my natural pressure habits when I’m not consciously trying to control it. A kitchen scale is handy for this just so you have a rough idea…
Then there’s the question of determining the pressure at which any given stone starts to cut (when minimal swarf is visible).
These numbers probably won’t make or break my honing session but at least I can communicate about a few things with some clarity and specifics.

Last edited:
I’m not sure this is entirely possible. I almost never just use the weight of the razor, you’d be honing for ever. On the last few strokes it’s good but other than that a fair amount of pressure is needed imo especially in the early stages.
I agree with you regarding the work on the geometry and the reset of the bevel. After 1k it's perfectly possible because it's just a matter of refining the edge.

I agree with you regarding the work on the geometry and the reset of the bevel. After 1k it's perfectly possible because it's just a matter of refining the edge.

I use a coticule most times and when doing dilutions I use pressure throughout the whole process. Only in the very final stage do use just the weight of the razor.

I use a coticule most times and when doing dilutions I use pressure throughout the whole process. Only in the very final stage do use just the weight of the razor.
Yes, absolutely. I do like you with coticule.
There are plenty of other ways to hone (refine the edge) and each one needs more or less pressure. some only need the weight of the razor.

Top Bottom