What's new

Measuring Tea in Grams

If you've been drinking the type or particular tea for sometime, most of the time you get a pretty good idea of how much tea/grams to put eg. half or 1/4 of your daily teapot.
Basically the idea of measuring is to start out to find the best ratio for a tea, eg. aged raw slightly more in proportion to young raw etc. Measuring is also useful if one is comparing between 2 or more tea to get a standard so to speak.

This.

I'm confident I could get a good amount of leaves from a familiar sheng in my familiar yixing, just from a little practice. Even if it's off a gram in either direction, big deal - that bit's kind of fun, and I do it on purpose anyway, just to mess around with the flavor and strength.

But, starting out, or with a new tea, or pot - it makes sense to me to measure and go from there.

But we're circling around :blushing:

I used the gram scale that came last night to measure out 5 grams of ripe pu'erh. 5 grams in my 100 mL gaiwan seemed like alot but I guess that's the idea, right? Rinsed twice and took a couple infusions and will take a few more tonight. It was very good.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Of course, the goal is to be self sufficient insofar as determining weight and temperature is concerned. A scale or a thermometer is a fantastic tool to assist one towards this goal.

This.

I'm confident I could get a good amount of leaves from a familiar sheng in my familiar yixing, just from a little practice. Even if it's off a gram in either direction, big deal - that bit's kind of fun, and I do it on purpose anyway, just to mess around with the flavor and strength.

But, starting out, or with a new tea, or pot - it makes sense to me to measure and go from there.

But we're circling around :blushing:

yup and eventually you'll find yourself putting the scale aside unless one is getting serious! :001_smile

When I put the first bit on and saw only 1.2 grams I couldn't believe how much 5 grams was! Probably would have gone with about 3 grams if I hadn't had the scale.

I have also been suprised how much tea comprises 3-5 grams...for many of my teas using a teaspoon would not get me anywhere close to this. For gong fu style brewing I would not even know where to begin w/o the scale.

Hoepefully on day I will learn how to harness the force and become a Gong Fu Master rendering such tools as the scale and thermometer irrelevant.

I have also been suprised how much tea comprises 3-5 grams...for many of my teas using a teaspoon would not get me anywhere close to this. For gong fu style brewing I would not even know where to begin w/o the scale.

Hoepefully on day I will learn how to harness the force and become a Gong Fu Master rendering such tools as the scale and thermometer irrelevant.

One day you will have reached an understanding of the Dao of tea, than your gong fu will be strong.:shuriken:

Top Bottom