What's new

Me & Feathers just don't get on!!

Tried Feather blade for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it didn't go well at all. Very poor, patchy shave with the odd weeper & it left me questioning the high regard some other members give them. Many suggested it was my poor technique & that I should try it again at a later date.

I tried out a new blade in my sample pack after that (7 o'clock super platinum - blue) and it was awesome for both head & face shaves with my R89. I've used the blue 7 o'clock blades since resulting in fantastic BBS shaves with no irritation so I thought I'd pretty much nailed my technique.

Today I popped in a new feather to give it a fair try. Result - what a horrible shave!! Again it has left me with patches of stubble & nowhere near as smooth as any of the other blades I've ever tried. Really don't see what all the fuss is about? All I know is I've got 7 or 8 Feather blades that won't see the light of day in my razor ever again! 👎

Just goes to show how true the YMMV thing is. I get the opposite results from you, Feathers give me fantastic shaves while the Gillette blues leave me irritated and raw. Before I started reading here and definetly before I started going through my sampler, I would have doubted this phenomenon.

I love the Feathers in most razors I have, although for some reason not in my old flair-tip. I know a lot of people on here don't like Derby blades, but I can get fantastic shaves in all of my razors. Astras are my overall favourites though, I find them as sharp and smooth as Feathers but longer lasting and considerably cheaper! I paid $16 for 200 yesterday, that should last me a while!

I've read posts praising Feathers and declaring them a fine blade but not quite worth the hype. I can't remember anyone hating them. You are unique sir! Is it posible they are so sharp you can't get a feel for the cutting action? It is definitely your technique. I'm not suggesting you have any need to continue using them, or that they are so wonderful you are missing out if you use many of the other fine blades on offer, but I do think you should keep them in storage for a year or so down the road. you never know

I've read posts praising Feathers and declaring them a fine blade but not quite worth the hype. I can't remember anyone hating them. You are unique sir! Is it posible they are so sharp you can't get a feel for the cutting action? It is definitely your technique. I'm not suggesting you have any need to continue using them, or that they are so wonderful you are missing out if you use many of the other fine blades on offer, but I do think you should keep them in storage for a year or so down the road. you never know

I don't hate them, but I think I've only hated one blade or something. That being said there are MANY blades I would take before Feather. It is very sharp and I do have a coarse beard, but my skin can't take it.

I can get good shave with Feather, but no matter how careful i am, i get minor razor burn or a weeper or two.

I'm not saying they are bad. I'm saying i have used better.

Feathers are super sharp and can give a very close shave. I just get too many weepers with them so I use others that are almost as sharp but leave zero weepers.

Using my patented two razor technique, I just finished 14 days of BBS without irritation or weepers with one Feather Blade (per razor)

I love the Feathers in most razors I have, although for some reason not in my old flair-tip. I know a lot of people on here don't like Derby blades, but I can get fantastic shaves in all of my razors. Astras are my overall favourites though, I find them as sharp and smooth as Feathers but longer lasting and considerably cheaper! I paid $16 for 200 yesterday, that should last me a while!
I'm with you, Brian. I like Feathers but my go to blade, with almost any razor, is the Astra SP.

Gus

I was impressed with them compared to willkies and lasers. I tried out Israeli Personnas this morning. they don't even come close!

Feathers are a little over rated IMO.

Feathers are definitely sharp...almost too sharp. No matter how careful I am I always wind up with at least one weeper. I do get a wicked close shave though! On the other hand I do find that the blade kinda gives up on the third shave and needs to be replaced. I don't tend to use Feathers as a go to blade since there are others that are almost as sharp and a bit cheaper. Are they over-hyped? Probably. Are they good? Definitely. But for me they just do not last as long. YMMV.

Top Bottom