What's new

Me and Simpson shaving brushes a long journey with a happy ending

Some six or seven years ago I finally gave in for my curiosity regarding Simpsons. At the time the Simpson Chubby 3 got so many spectacular reviews so I felt that I just had to find out what it was like even if it was, and still is, extremely expensive. The +30 millimetre knot might have been the largest available knot on the market at the time. Even if there are other brush makers today that makes as large brushes the Simpson Chubby stands out in one aspect: The knot is extremely dense. The badger hair is so tightly packed that there theoretically are enough hair in it to make a fairly large extra knot out of it while the original knot still would be rather tightly packed. This means that the face feeling is very nice, it’s very firm but still with those soft badger hair tips. This leads me to the downside; the knot can hold an enormous amount of soap, but it does its very best to keep it. I have on numerous occasions been thinking that it is a brush version of the Bermuda Triangle. It shouldn’t be possible for so much soap to seemingly disappear into a brush. In short I was a bit disappointed, but I’ve kept the brush, I do occasionally use it and I won’t sell it.

About a year later I saw a Simpson Chubby 2 on sale for about half the original price. I couldn’t stop myself from buying it just to find out if my Chubby 3 was an exception. It turned out that it wasn’t. The Chubby 2 had the very same nice face feeling, but it was just as greedy as Scrooge on Christmas eve when it came to sharing lather. I felt a bit stupid, but I’ve kept this one too and I do like it even if it’s very uneconomical in every aspect.

When the Chubby 2 synthetic was released I managed to get one from the batch that had a 52mm loft. It is one of my favourite brushes. It both loads lather and releases as a charm. My faith in Simpsons was restored. That was until Simpson released a second synthetic brush; The Simfix brush. It was cheap… in every aspect. Let’s leave the sad affair at that.

The years passed by and I didn’t feel any need for another Simpson brush, once bitten twice shy. So about a year ago I started to experiment with my smaller brushes both for bowl and face lathering. I found smaller (no larger than 24mm) to be more precise when face lathering and more economical when bowl lathering. When I got down to my 22mm brushes I added a Simpson Duke 2 to my collection, and this time I fell in love from day one. The knot is just as densely packed as the Chubby knots but since it’s much smaller it does let go of the lather without complaining. The dense knot is excellent on hard soaps, soft on the face and produces great lather.

After a couple of months I began to look at video reviews of the smaller Duke 1. I was hesitant, it was described as a travel brush or a very small brush and perhaps nothing you should use on a regular basis. I got off the fence when I saw it on sale. I got it about two months ago and I have used it every day since then, mostly for face lathering. This 21mm knot holds enough hair for a 24mm knot. It is stiff but with soft ends and produces large amounts of great lather. In short it’s a top of the line brush that has lost, me knowingly, two hairs so far (a hair is sticking up from the knot but it's not loose). After ever three pass shave I squeeze out the remaining lather, which is sufficient to use to clean out the faucet after shaving. The only time before that I’ve got this excited over a shaving brush was when I got my one and sadly only 28mm brush from Wiborg Shaving.

The only thing I wish I would have done differently when it comes to Simpsons is that I should have started out with the smaller knots and not the largest ones.

Simpson.jpg

I've the ch3 badger and chubby 2 synthetic. Both very fine brushes . I find I like the synthetic more and more. However, I have never found they hog the lather.

This is why I haven't quite been able to pull the trigger on a badger brush. That's a lot of money for a brush that may or may not be to one's liking. Took me a couple tried to find the right boar and synthetic.

Congratulations on your Duke. What hair grades did you go with?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I prefer smaller knots and for me Simpson offer the best range of high quality small brushes of any producer. I have a Wee Scot and Classic 1 in Best, a 54mm lofted Chubby 2 synthetic, a Chubby 1 and Duke 3 in Manchurian, and a grey box Coates Fitzwilliam in Pure; and I love them all. I had the Chubby 2 and 3 in Super but I found them too large and did not care for the Super hair finding it lacking in backbone and simply too soft. There is a Simpson to suit everyone 👍

Very nice Simpsons journey. With regard to the Chubby 3 and lather retention, I find I get better results by using the damp, most of the water shaken out, brush initially to get the soap or cream on my face and then use it to face lather by slowly adding drops of water. I’ll put a couple drops of water in my palm and use the brush tips to soak it up gently and then bring it to my face to lather in back and forth sweeping motions. If I add water to the brush it just gets soaked up and disappears. For subsequent passes, I just use the brush to pick up more product.

I don’t use the Ch3 or any of my other brushes as lather holding devices, only as lather making devices and then only using the tips. I never mash them or pump them to make lather. I find this technique minimizes the brush hoarding the lather. Might be worth a try.

I never got on with my Chubby 2, and it wasn't for lack of trying. The thing just wouldn't give up its lather. I gave it plenty of opportunity to break in, but I just ended up getting more and more frustrated so I sold it off. I am mostly a synthetic guy now.

I wish I would've bought the Duke 1 first also, for the handle alone, I love that shape. Very nice collection you have!

I accidentally started out with the only Simpsons I'd ever really needed all along though: The Berkeley 46 in Best. When it arrived, I was like **, why is everyone here recommending this toy? It was like a 1/2 scale version of everything else I tried, there was no way this thing would work efficiently. Then I found out: it's dense, precise, comfortable, and makes plenty of lather face-lathering a barely visible layer of shave stick film in no time at all. Yes, I love all the Simpsons Best badgers I've used to date, especially the Duke 2, which have been from largest to smallest:

Commodore X3
Commodore X2
Duke 2

But the little ones, they are plenty, and just fine for everyday use AND TRAVEL!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's a great journey...

Having gotten a Trafalgar T3 last month - and really liking it - decided to spring for a real Simpson :lol: on Black Friday, the Keyhole KH3 Best Badger.

Cannot put it down! 21mm knot is small for me, but 46mm loft does the trick! The Keyhole ergos are simply the best, love the shape. Agree they are lather-eaters, hence the utility of the smaller knot. Pure quality; amazing, this brush.

AA

My only mis-step with Simpson was my brief flirtation with the Chubby 1. It’s a magnificent brush for face lathering but not so much for bowl lathering.

My current line up is great. I never had any trouble getting lather out of Chubby but there is always plenty in my bowl. No issues there.

The Duke 3 is a great size in both the knot and handle. The Classic 1 on the other hand is the perfect travel companion. It blooms big and acts larger than the knot diameter would suggest.

4DC53A72-CB75-47B1-9B1B-8D7EFFD9BDC8.jpeg

I still miss them sometimes...

7D31CAED-0048-43F7-941C-A136DFCCE1FF.jpeg

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Great excuse for posting and looking at Simpson brushes.

12-20.CH2.BestBadger.SilvertipBadger.Side.640.JPG

I have only these two. Both take a bit longer to rinse than some brushes. However, as a face latherer using the method I use to build and apply lather, I don't experience either of my Simpsons as being difficult in terms of holding on to lather which I want on my face.

Of course, as large, dense knots, they're going to use more soap than a small knot.

There are other large and very dense knots on the market now even some that are not expensive. The Maseto knots marketed as extra dense come to mind. I like the Simpsons, particularly the Best Badger, better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Some six or seven years ago I finally gave in for my curiosity regarding Simpsons. At the time the Simpson Chubby 3 got so many spectacular reviews so I felt that I just had to find out what it was like even if it was, and still is, extremely expensive. The +30 millimetre knot might have been the largest available knot on the market at the time. Even if there are other brush makers today that makes as large brushes the Simpson Chubby stands out in one aspect: The knot is extremely dense. The badger hair is so tightly packed that there theoretically are enough hair in it to make a fairly large extra knot out of it while the original knot still would be rather tightly packed. This means that the face feeling is very nice, it’s very firm but still with those soft badger hair tips. This leads me to the downside; the knot can hold an enormous amount of soap, but it does its very best to keep it. I have on numerous occasions been thinking that it is a brush version of the Bermuda Triangle. It shouldn’t be possible for so much soap to seemingly disappear into a brush. In short I was a bit disappointed, but I’ve kept the brush, I do occasionally use it and I won’t sell it.

About a year later I saw a Simpson Chubby 2 on sale for about half the original price. I couldn’t stop myself from buying it just to find out if my Chubby 3 was an exception. It turned out that it wasn’t. The Chubby 2 had the very same nice face feeling, but it was just as greedy as Scrooge on Christmas eve when it came to sharing lather. I felt a bit stupid, but I’ve kept this one too and I do like it even if it’s very uneconomical in every aspect.

When the Chubby 2 synthetic was released I managed to get one from the batch that had a 52mm loft. It is one of my favourite brushes. It both loads lather and releases as a charm. My faith in Simpsons was restored. That was until Simpson released a second synthetic brush; The Simfix brush. It was cheap… in every aspect. Let’s leave the sad affair at that.

The years passed by and I didn’t feel any need for another Simpson brush, once bitten twice shy. So about a year ago I started to experiment with my smaller brushes both for bowl and face lathering. I found smaller (no larger than 24mm) to be more precise when face lathering and more economical when bowl lathering. When I got down to my 22mm brushes I added a Simpson Duke 2 to my collection, and this time I fell in love from day one. The knot is just as densely packed as the Chubby knots but since it’s much smaller it does let go of the lather without complaining. The dense knot is excellent on hard soaps, soft on the face and produces great lather.

After a couple of months I began to look at video reviews of the smaller Duke 1. I was hesitant, it was described as a travel brush or a very small brush and perhaps nothing you should use on a regular basis. I got off the fence when I saw it on sale. I got it about two months ago and I have used it every day since then, mostly for face lathering. This 21mm knot holds enough hair for a 24mm knot. It is stiff but with soft ends and produces large amounts of great lather. In short it’s a top of the line brush that has lost, me knowingly, two hairs so far (a hair is sticking up from the knot but it's not loose). After ever three pass shave I squeeze out the remaining lather, which is sufficient to use to clean out the faucet after shaving. The only time before that I’ve got this excited over a shaving brush was when I got my one and sadly only 28mm brush from Wiborg Shaving.

The only thing I wish I would have done differently when it comes to Simpsons is that I should have started out with the smaller knots and not the largest ones.

View attachment 1191971

Great line up!! Congratulations on figuring out what makes you happy! :a29: :a29:

If youre into smaller Simpson’s brushes they have a pretty good selection in their excellent though inconsistently offered 2band silvertip right now.

Recently used a CH3 manchurian knot, it wasnt nearly as big a lather hog as other CHs i remember but its been a while , anyone care to comment on whether the manchurian density brings the knot into a great balance?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Leaving a bunch of water in it - i.e., not squeezing it very dry before loading - works very well for this KH3.

And for the (other) Simpson rookies; no brush-damaging circular swirling - it goes back and forth. I was skeptical but with lots of water in the brush, does load well this way.

AA

My Chubby is a little on the large side , but I do use it occasionally.
With that said all my other brushes are 26mm and smaller, and I am
only buying Best from Simpson’s.

Recently used a CH3 manchurian knot, it wasnt nearly as big a lather hog as other CHs i remember but its been a while , anyone care to comment on whether the manchurian density brings the knot into a great balance?
The one Manchurian that I have is 28mm and it is great

I guess I may be the exception. I have the Duke 3 and Chubby 2 both in best. For me, the Chubby makes better lather and I have no problem getting enough to shave my face, neck, and head.

Between the shorter loft of the Manchurian (as opposed to the super) and the tapered nature of the hair it makes sense that it would be less of a lather hog. It’s also possible that you are loading more (assuming the same loading time) with the Manchurian as I’ve found that it picks soap faster

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
circular swirling
Any brush strokes with too much pressure can be damaging but light circular swirling motions need not be and are perfectly acceptable. Mark Watterson from Simpson has confirmed as much on this very web site. The paintbrush type strokes recommended by Simpson are purely advisory I think. At any rate, damage or not, I love swirling. 👍

Top Bottom