What's new

Me and my stupid butter fingers

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.
Unfortunately there was quite a bit of shattering in the base which my photo didn't show.
I'll give repairs a try.
Really, many thanks for your suggestions.

Well, I guess step one is to gather all the remaining pieces
IMG_20181015_060712.jpg

When I was using my shave scuttle I had the same accident. Slippery hands dropped it into the china sink basin which cracked it and had to be replaced. The scuttle no worse for the drop minor small chip. Part of my pre shave routine now is shea butter pre shave. After application I always soap wash my hands and liberally use my alum block to establish good grip for razor and brush.

Your repair has added nice character to your bowl. I’m sure you’ll enjoy many shaves with it. I like it better with the repair. Enjoy.

IMG_1785.jpeg
IMG_0337.jpeg

When I was using my shave scuttle I had the same accident. Slippery hands dropped it into the china sink basin which cracked it and had to be replaced. The scuttle no worse for the drop minor small chip. Part of my pre shave routine now is shea butter pre shave. After application I always soap wash my hands and liberally use my alum block to establish good grip for razor and brush.

Your repair has added nice character to your bowl. I’m sure you’ll enjoy many shaves with it. I like it better with the repair. Enjoy.

View attachment 1727673View attachment 1727680
Those photos are gorgeous.

I too like the bowl better after the repairs.
Have a lovely day

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Sorry for your pain. I'd definitely try a clear 2 part epoxy.

With my scuttle I put my thumb through the handle with my fingers down into the bowl whenever I transport it, but I don't know that would work with a puck of soap in there.

Sorry for your pain. I'd definitely try a clear 2 part epoxy.

With my scuttle I put my thumb through the handle with my fingers down into the bowl whenever I transport it, but I don't know that would work with a puck of soap in there.
That was precisely my issue. I was holding it like a bowl, rather than hooking my thumb in the loop.

As I live and learn, eh?

I like the way it turned out. Especially the gold highlights where the cracks were. If I’m not mistaken that’s typical of Japanese repair work in pottery
Yes, you got it.
And considering the artisan used actual gold foil, it was very affordable for this bowl.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Thread resurrection...a local Kintsugi artisan gave new life to what was once broken.
What do you think?

View attachment 1727501View attachment 1727505
My favorite word is wabi-sabi, which is Japanese for finding beauty in imperfections. Kintsugi is the artistic embodiment of wabi-sabi, using gold to rejoin the pieces. Your bowl is now more beautiful than before. Stunning.

Your pictures made my night, and reminded me again of how our brokenness can be transformed into something beautiful. Thank you @mio_cuggino.

This is why I don't want a ceramic bowl. So far I use a copper bowl and a couple days ago I bought a wooden one.

I too feel the pain but better that than a cracked tile. Now that is a teal PITA and a wasted Saturday. And not matter how good you are at tile work, and I am not bad you will always be able to pick out the replaced tile. If you have a little OCD it will drive you crazy.

Top Bottom