What's new

MDC Scented. You'll be surprised to read this!

Not really sure how to put this into words.....
Screw it:

I did a scent test with a few of my military buddies who are into wet shaving. I put MDC scented into an unlabeled container beside a puck of monsavon bol a raser in an identical unmared container.

I asked the four guys to pick which scent they preferred....

AND

Results....

4 to 0 in favor of the Monsavon......

Just throwing this out there

I couldn't agree more. I love the MDC but won't be buying any more of it.

I'm getting a bit tired of the scent, looks like I've used it too much lately. Its been a dominant part of my rotation since I got it back early this year. I'm going to give it a break until well into 2014. I love how easily it lathers though.

Just like any soap one can get tired of it's scent. Take almond. When I first started wet shaving I loved it. Fast forward to now and I haven't touched that scent in over a year. Same with bergmont neroli. Just used it after a two year hiatus. So it is with Mdc. I have three jars which will last me years. Maybe even a decade. Love the performance but have to give it a break now and then.

To be honest with you MdC is a great soap and all but I think it's overrated. There are better soaps out there for less money.

Lavender can be likened unto fine wine or whiskey. It is an acquired taste. Few can appreciate the scent of something as refined as MdC on the first sniff.

Last edited:
Lavender can be likened unto fine wine or whiskey. It is an acquired taste. Few can appreciate the scent of something as refined as MdC on the first sniff.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all as I'm a HUGE single malt fan however I don't buy the 'you're not a refined enough person' to enjoy this pitch.

Oddly enough, the scent of MdC isn't my favorite (Its just not a stand out for me), But MdC gives me the best shave everytime. The scent is somthing that sticks in my mind and I crave using it, which is weird because its not one my favorite scents.
That is reserved for Mikes Barber shop and his Orange, cedarwood and black pepper. I just want to eat that stuff!

You have to award points for creativity though. I thought it was made in jest at first.

It smells great, it performs with the best of them but MONSAVON gets picked 4 to 0????
Something is going on here.
I used the monsavon this morning and had a wonderful wonderful straight shave.

Not all about the scent, performance and face feel after the shave is important

You are right .... ;-) but IMHO Monsavon is in every aspect superior to MDC....the biggest "negative" thing ....it is toooo low priced to be considered at his real value....put the monsavon in a nice jar and we will rave about.....ok ok...just my opinion ...
Tam

You are right .... ;-) but IMHO Monsavon is in every aspect superior to MDC....the biggest "negative" thing ....it is toooo low priced to be considered at his real value....put the monsavon in a nice jar and we will rave about.....ok ok...just my opinion ...
Tam

Can't tell if you're being serious or not :p

To be honest with you MdC is a great soap and all but I think it's overrated. There are better soaps out there for less money.
I've not tried MdC because I can't fathom spending that kind of cash but have been intrigued by it. What soaps do you think outperform it? I've got some definite favorites myself, but have never had the chance to compare to MdC

OK, and this has piqued my curiosity. Is there anyplace in the states to get Monsavon? Quick google says no...

I got my little tub from Ebay, after shipping it cost about $12 or something. Not a bad price for what you get. Honestly it's a stronger more chemical version of MDC scented in MY opinion but still performs just as well.

Top Bottom