What's new

MDC Scented. You'll be surprised to read this!

Scent is a very personal thing. I love the scent and performance of MdC, but I can see how the scent might not be for everyone. I haven't tried Monsavon yet.

I got my little tub from Ebay, after shipping it cost about $12 or something. Not a bad price for what you get. Honestly it's a stronger more chemical version of MDC scented in MY opinion but still performs just as well.
Thanks. The only seller right now is in the UK, and shipping is about double the cost of the soap. I'll have to ponder. I think I have 4 pucks of other stuff on the way right now still.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all as I'm a HUGE single malt fan however I don't buy the 'you're not a refined enough person' to enjoy this pitch.

I wasn't saying that at all! Some people don't like scotch, period. It's not because they're not refined enough, it's because they don't like it. I was just pointing out that most people don't like scotch the first time they try it. I think the scent of Lavender is the same way. I didn't like the scent of Mike's Hungarian Lavender or MdC the first time I smelled them. After much use, they've grown on me and are now two of my favorite scents in shave soaps.

You have to award points for creativity though. I thought it was made in jest at first.

It was. That's why I used my "Jesus telling a parable" language :wink2:

I wasn't saying that at all! Some people don't like scotch, period. It's not because they're not refined enough, it's because they don't like it. I was just pointing out that most people don't like scotch the first time they try it. I think the scent of Lavender is the same way. I didn't like the scent of Mike's Hungarian Lavender or MdC the first time I smelled them. After much use, they've grown on me and are now two of my favorite scents in shave soaps.

It was. That's why I used my "Jesus telling a parable" language :wink2:

I totally get it :)

To me mdc smells like noxema... A total turn off... The shave however is a total turn on... The only soap or cream that has performed better for me is biotique bio palmyra

I've tried MdC in the little jar and really wasn't impressed and traded it away so it could find some love. NSmalls said it there are great performers for a lot less: MWF, Tabac, Stirling, DR Harris and the list goes on. MWF is only $13 and lasts a long time same for Tabac. JMO

I just can't get past the Noxzema smell of the scented and I can smell it the Fougere as well. I think it is over-hyped greatly and would much rather spend $65 on Tabac, B&M, HTGAM, RR, Mike's, Stirling or Strop Shoppe.

I hated the scent at first. After so many uses, though, I find it to be far more complex than that camphor punch in the face that hits you the first few times you smell it.

Scent is not as important to me as performance. MdC for me gives me the best shaves. Plus, I am still on my first tub of it even after more than one year. Monsavon gives a decent shave but not as good for me as MdD. However, for the price it is great value.

When I was in France last year I picked up another jar of MdC and a couple of tubs of Monsavon.

Lavender can be likened unto fine wine or whiskey. It is an acquired taste. Few can appreciate the scent of something as refined as MdC on the first sniff.
It took me a few weeks of use before I began to appreciate the complexity and balance of MdC's scent. It has since become a favorite. So lump me with the masses.

On the bright side, my olfactory scenses are very much "more refined" than they were prior to my wetshaving adventure.

I'm a big fan of Mike's Hungarian lavender and was from day one. MdC's fourgere is my current favorite scent.

Last edited:
I went to Paris this summer and picked up a jar of MdC and several bowls of Monsavon. MdC delivered as promised. I was pleasantly surprised by Monsavon; scent and performance. My first impression was Cella with a lavender scent. There is a sweetness behind the lavender. The French Williams? Not even close to Williams, except pricing. Fantastic lather.

I could get by with the cheap European soaps for the rest of my life. La Toja, Palmolive, and Monsavon. Throw in a couple of cheap creams like O Melhor, Erasmic, La Toja and Musgo Real and you get great shaves for pennies.

I like mine unscented, not that much of a fan of the minty scent that it has.
It's otherwise a good soap.

Not surprised at all. Scent's a subjective thing. All you've really done is shown that the 4 people seem to have similar scent preferences. Any possible split wouldn't surprise me as it's such a small sample.

Not surprised at all. Scent's a subjective thing. All you've really done is shown that the 4 people seem to have similar scent preferences. Any possible split wouldn't surprise me as it's such a small sample.

I would tend to agree but I find it surprising that the highest end soap on the market isn't preferred over a 2€ soap.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I would tend to agree but I find it surprising that the scent of the highest end soap on the market isn't preferred over a 2€ soap by four random guys I asked.

I fixed that for you.
I'm not surprised. Often scent has nothing to do with performance. Just ask the Arko crowd.
As others have said, 4 guys is a pretty small sample. If you ask 400 I think you'd come up with different results possibly.
Possibly not.
In the end, scent is just one of many many factors in what makes a good soap.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have bowled about three times in my life.

The first time I tried it, the first four balls I rolled knocked down all the pins, which I understand is a good play. I never managed that again for the rest of the game, mostly missing the pins thereafter. Odd.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have bowled about three times in my life.

The first time I tried it, the first four balls I rolled knocked down all the pins, which I understand is a good play. I never managed that again for the rest of the game, mostly missing the pins thereafter. Odd.

The other day I took a bowl of AOS sandalwood cream and a bowl of cold oatmeal with DR Harris sandalwood AS spritzed on it.
4 guys said they preferred the scent of the oatmeal, so I'll be shaving with that from now on.

:w00t: :lol: :lol:

Top Bottom