What's new

MdC rose envelope smells like nothing

MdC is one my favorite soaps. I have been using the nature/unscented soap for quite a while. I recently acquired an envelope of the fougere and vetiver, which were both fairly strongly scented. I got a tub of the fougere as I loved the envelope. The actual tub has a significantly stronger smell than the envelope, but all that was different was the scent strength, not the scent itself.

I've been seeing how popular the rose version is, so I purchased an envelope of the rose from pasteur to give it a try. This thing smells like nothing, which my wife also confirmed. I get a stronger scent profile from the unscented MdC than from this envelope I purchased.

Anyone have a similar experience with MdC envelopes?

MdC is one my favorite soaps. I have been using the nature/unscented soap for quite a while. I recently acquired an envelope of the fougere and vetiver, which were both fairly strongly scented. I got a tub of the fougere as I loved the envelope. The actual tub has a significantly stronger smell than the envelope, but all that was different was the scent strength, not the scent itself.

I've been seeing how popular the rose version is, so I purchased an envelope of the rose from pasteur to give it a try. This thing smells like nothing, which my wife also confirmed. I get a stronger scent profile from the unscented MdC than from this envelope I purchased.

Anyone have a similar experience with MdC envelopes?

my mdc citrus envelop had fragrance for over a year..
perhaps pasteur had it in inventory for much longer; have you inquired with them?

martin de candre citrus shavemac kai acqua di genova august 19 2021.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
My tub has plenty of scent.

Pasteur’s seems to have a lot of old stock, maybe because their on-line business just started up a couple of years ago. They’re not the only ones that have this problem. This can be both a good thing and a bad thing.

It’s bad if the scent can dissipate as in soap and cream tubs, and hard soap refills. I always buy the pricey stuff, SMN, Floris, etc directly from the manufacturer’s site.

It’s a good thing if you grabbed some I Coloniali Rhubarb cream and AS balm (and other unicorns) from them before they sold out.

Steve56

Seconded. Twice I have received items that looked like their shelf life might match my own. (I'm still glad they have an online presence though and have a generally favorable impression.)

There’s a thread here somewhere that someone bought Santa Maria Novella shaving cream from them and it had shrunken and browned. I also wondered if it was the current version, v3 which is the version that you want vs the older versions. No offense to Pasteur’s, I’ve bought many stale products from other vendors too.

There are a few brands that do not allow their brands to be discounted, and SMN is one of them, so vendors can’t clear them out (by discounting by brand) when the products get old. Since SMN don’t allow 3rd parties to discount their products, just get the freshest ones, the ones from the vendor. It’s the same price.

Maybe they fixed this issue, if you look at most 3rd party vendors that offer SMN, they list a longer shipping period, 3-5 days to ship. I think maybe, that is because the 3rd party vendors don’t actually have the product anymore, the extra shipping time reflects drop shipping from SMN. No stale products sitting on vendors shelves. A win-win for both SMN and vendors if vendors can’t discount the brand, and eliminates 3rd party inventory management.

SMN doesn’t discount their products on their own site either, but 2-3x a year they have free shipping, so if you want a tub of cream, free shipping amounts to about a 7% discount.

Last edited:
my mdc citrus envelop had fragrance for over a year..
perhaps pasteur had it in inventory for much longer; have you inquired with them?
I sent them an email, waiting for a response. I have an envelope of vetiver (purchased from the razor company) and every time
I open the cabinet it's stored in a get a large waft of it.
My tub has plenty of scent.

Pasteur’s seems to have a lot of old stock, maybe because their on-line business just started up a couple of years ago. They’re not the only ones that have this problem. This can be both a good thing and a bad thing.

It’s bad if the scent can dissipate as in soap and cream tubs, and hard soap refills. I always buy the pricey stuff, SMN, Floris, etc directly from the manufacturer’s site.

It’s a good thing if you grabbed some I Coloniali Rhubarb cream and AS balm (and other unicorns) from them before they sold out.
I did that with my nature MdC, but the shipping itself was 25 euros. I purchased the fougere from giftsandcare (overall a large order, so shipping wasn't too bad), and had a very pleasant experience. The fougere if anything is a little bit too strongly scented, and I left the lid off, and now it's perfect.
There’s a thread here somewhere that someone bought Santa Maria Novella shaving cream from them and it had shrunken and browned. I also wondered if it was the current version, v3 which is the version that you want vs the older versions. No offense to Pasteur’s, I’ve bought many stale products from other vendors too.

There are a few brands that do not allow their brands to be discounted, and SMN is one of them, so vendors can’t clear them out (by discounting by brand) when the products get old. Since SMN don’t allow 3rd parties to discount their products, just get the freshest ones, the ones from the vendor. It’s the same price.

Maybe they fixed this issue, if you look at most 3rd party vendors that offer SMN, they list a longer shipping period, 3-5 days to ship. I think maybe, that is because the 3rd party vendors don’t actually have the product anymore, the extra shipping time reflects drop shipping from SMN. No stale products sitting on vendors shelves. A win-win for both SMN and vendors if vendors can’t discount the brand, and eliminates 3rd party inventory management.

SMN doesn’t discount their products on their own site either, but 2-3x a year they have free shipping, so if you want a tub of cream, free shipping amounts to about a 7% discount.
Is SMN cream that great? I'm more of a hard soap guy but this sounds like something I should be trying.

Steve56

Is SMN cream that great? I'm more of a hard soap guy but this sounds like something I should be trying.

Yes, based on my own experience. fresh SMN v3 is one of the best, most consistent, and no fuss products that there is. Is it BETTER than the top-tier hard soaps? No, of course not, but equal.

Latherability 5/5
Slickness 5/5
Residual slickness, darned near 5/5 if not the same
Scent 5/5 not because it’s wonderful, but because I don’t get tired of it, I can use it every day. Eucalyptus, a little (very little) Tobacco Toscano, and a light touch of menthol. YMMV as with all fragrance comments.
Post shave 4.5/5. 4.5 = really good, but it is not quite I Coloniali class.

SMN for me, doesn’t always seem to be doing anything great, but it is, the end results tell the tale. Use it for a few months. I always get a great SR shave with it, the post shave is also excellent. It’s the soap of choice that I test edges with.

If you leave it open, it will rapidly turn into a quite stiff croap, like Cella. Or even if you don’t, by the time that you get to the bottom of that 220ml tub.

I love Pasteurs and will always purchase from them first given the choice. They are nice people and have a huge selection, and free US shipping on any order!

With that said, I’ve had mostly bad experiences, with my software purchases in particular. To be specific, several dried out tubs of creams, likely from being on the shelf for too long. It’s possible your envelope is just really old and the scent has faded. I’d put in a ticket, they’ll take care of you, their customer service is excellent.

Hmm, I wonder what the minimum order quantity is for some of these companies that they carry... maybe it isn't allowing them to match incoming with outgoing stock. 🤔

MdC Rose is (MO) a fairly strong scent. I just finished a Nature sample. Rose is WAY stronger than what there is of a Nature scent.

Before the Nature sample, I used SMN and found it to be great, pretty much equal to MdC which is arguably my favorite.

At least you can get the Rose sample in jar from Maggards if you aren't too discouraged at this point.
At this point I’m even more curious to see what it smells like :). I just placed an order through Maggards for some blades and pdp soaps (I didn’t like either of the scents). I opted for the envelope because I don’t like to bowl lather and with the envelope you can load straight from the paper. I think I will just get it to see what it smells like.

At this point I’m even more curious to see what it smells like :). I just placed an order through Maggards for some blades and pdp soaps (I didn’t like either of the scents). I opted for the envelope because I don’t like to bowl lather and with the envelope you can load straight from the paper. I think I will just get it to see what it smells like.
The funny thing is, you can actually load your brush from the tiny little sample container and proceed to face lather. :w00t:

I mean for MdC to have lost its scent because of age...it has to be OLD. Like extremely old. I bought a small blade sample pack and the guy sent through a sample of MdC original that was about 4 years old and still had what I would consider a 4/10 scent strength. Perhaps, just ask for a refund, or for them to send through another one? It happens though, I bought a soap at the beginning of the year that was virtually unscented, I figured they forgot to scent it or maybe the heat ruined it.

I just bought a container of MdC rose and it also has very little scent. What scent it does have seems to be rose but by the time a lather is made and spread on my face, there is almost no scent at all.

This actually works OK for me because most of my bad experiences with scent involve what I find to be an unpleasant scent that is far, far too strong; examples are Tabac which I find to be an excellent soap but do not care for the scent and it is very strong, and Arko, which I find downright unpleasant and the scent strength is on a nuclear level- close enough to toxic that I never use the stuff anymore. In a perfect world a fantastic soap would have a fantastic, pleasant scent but that often does not work out. So I am perfectly happy with rose MdC having a very light scent while being a fantastic shaving soap. I can always 'scent up' my face with aftershave or balm, and a mild or very mild soap scent does not get in the way.

I just got my samples of MDC rose and GFT rose. The MDC is very light, like some types of roses can be. The GFT is very heavily rose smelling, like some reds and etc. can be. Two different scents. I'd say that if anyone has smelled other soaps immediately before the MDC then they need to sniff some coffee and clear their nose before trying to smell it.

Top Bottom