What's new

MdC and Sensitive Skin

Hi all.

I purchased some MdC (original scent) and used it for the first time this morning. I have sensitive skin and my face was quite sore/tender after the shave. Now that could be the case for a number of reasons but I would be interested to hear from others with sensitive skin who have used MdC (original scent) whether they have had a similar experience.

Thanks

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I think lavender is not always good for sensitive skin. Some I can use and some I cannot; Mike's Hungarian lavender lights me up. I might as well use a torch to burn the hair off. I can tell a tiny bit of tingle from MdC original, but not anything that would prevent me from using them. I actually think I'm feeling the mint in the MdC original.

Unscented is what I'd recommend for sensitive skin, and I don't have any problem with the fougere.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for the replies. I made some other changes to my routine this morning, which I think is the culprit. I will go back to my standard routine, and use the MdC, and hopefully I won't feel any of the discomfort.

By the way, I am using Penhaligons BB aftershave balm and it is amazing. Did wonders for my poor face this morning.

You are right. Mdc original slightly irritates skin and that is due to the fragrance.
I have both, mdc unscented and original and only the unscented is for my skin.
I have tried lots of soaps and creams from proraso and smn to klarr sport, CF, razorock argan
The only scented soap that didn't irritate my skin was TFS pelli sensibili Lonicera.

The fogure was the only one to give me problems. I'm ok with the others if I only use them once maybe twice a week. Tried several days in a row and my face was not enthusiastic about it. But as a treat it's great.

I used the original for seven days earlier this year, and had to stop using it.With each shave I was getting more and more irritation. I don 't know what caused it, but it just didn't work for me.

MdC is basically 50-50 stearic and coconut ... coconut soap is probably the most drying of the naturally-made (derived) soaps out there (i.e. this comment doesn't include "soaps" made with detergent compounds (SLS, etc.)).

Coconut is added for it's bubbling/foaming ability, but it will (very efficiently) strip the oil from your skin. This may be the culprit.

Of course sensitivity to the scent FO/EO may also be to blame.

Regards-
Dave

I used the Fourage and was allergic to it, unscented I have used for over a year with no problems and enjoy it. Never tried the original scent, one day perhaps I will give it a try.

I had the good fortune to visit the MdC factory last month and as I was trying to make the decision on which to buy they mentioned that the Fougère can irritate those with sensitive skin, in which case they suggest the classic or the non-scented.

I have sensitive skin and none of the MDC products irritate my face. I find that on a day when my face feels irritated, I most likely have a blade needing the linen or a hone. I used to get a sore face about once a week or more, then I took Tony Millers advice. I strop on the linen 30 and leather 30 and now I have no irritation. When this does not work, it is time to hone

interesting. I had noticed a little extra burn when I used my fougére a few days after getting a sunburn. I only use it occasionally now and it doesn't cause me any more problems. But I've also settled into using a British aristocrat Jr. pretty much exclusively now and it's a smoother milder side of medium type of razor.

No problem with any flavor of MdC. I can recommend the Unscented variety whole-heartedly, you may find it to be easier on your face.

I would suggest trying your old routine with the soap, and practice making the lather a few times to make sure that its the soap itself thats causing the problem. I kinda doubt that its something intrinsic to the soap, but its certainly possible.

At first, MDC used to irritate my skin as well.i thought of selling it, but never got around to it,moved out of the country and it was in the container for a few months. So 5 months passed - i tried it again and the irritation was down to a mild ''tingle'' that was gone after a few more uses. I suspect that one of the ingredients of the perfume was the culprit and it just evaporated with use. I suggest airing it out for a few days and see if it improves, otherwise, just sell it on BST.
It's a good soap with a unique scent, but that is it.

Top Bottom