What's new

MdC and Me!

Let me first show my very, very much, appreciation to Oakeshott who so generously offered me a very nice size amount of this famous shave soap so I could experience what so many had discussed on this forum. With over 4 shaves behind me now, I wanted to put my two cents into the fray. Well, my first reaction to this soap was the Fragrance and to be honest it did not provide me with any sense of Wow. For me I caught the fragrance of the Lavender with Rosemary and a very slight hint of camphor. For me personally I would have preferred something with a nice cologne fragrance. That being said my first time to use MdC, I actually was not that impressed. It lathered easily, but it just was not enough for me to push out any of my preferred shave soaps. Well, one should never judge on just one experience of anything. The second shave, that caught my attention. This time I switched to my Omega 49 boar brush and with a much wetter brush I saw what MdC could actually do. I faced lathered which just exploded into volumes of soft sensual comforting lather within one minute from loading the brush to the actual process of building my lather. My blade glided with ease leaving my face feeling irritation free and soft to the touch. Each shave since has been the same. I just making sure I use a very wet brush. MdC is a great soap. Is it better than my other favorites Klar Kabinet, Institute Karite, RR 888, Mikes Natural Soap, Mystic Water, QCS, Cella, and La Toja. I will say that it stands right there with each and every one of them per my opinion. I am a huge fan of Klar Kabinet, IK, and RR 888 which for now are my top 3 and I would say MdC is now number 4 followed by QCS. I will let others debate the cost factor, for me it was just about the performance. MdC showed me that it is a soap that I very much enjoy and it will be a Shave soap that I will purchase at some point. To be honest Oakeshott sample will last me 3 months as I cannot even tell that I have used any of it except for the dried lather in the storage container. One other note I wanted to see how long it took for the Lather to break down so I loaded up my brush created a beautiful mound of lather then just let it sit waiting for it to break down. Well, after an hour and me needing to run my Saturday morning errands I gave up as the lather still looked the same and just came to the conclusion that yeah this is good stuff!

You are correct in your early assessment of MDC in that within the same zip code there are other soaps that give incredible performance on par with MDC. While I love it and it's cost per use is clearly an advantage, I've not seen soaps lathering so easily . I'm on my second jar:p

Last edited:
One other note I wanted to see how long it took for the Lather to break down so I loaded up my brush created a beautiful mound of lather then just let it sit waiting for it to break down. Well, after an hour and me needing to run my Saturday morning errands I gave up as the lather still looked the same and just came to the conclusion that yeah this is good stuff!

This is actually a very sensible and important test, Tom. Seeing if the lather 'breaks down' quickly is going to be a good indicator of whether the lather will dry on your face. Something us wet shavers despise of. I'm going to steal this one from you! :biggrin1:

Great stuff and worth every penny. Not trying to highjack the OP, but has anyone heard anything more on MdC new 'fern' scent?

Congratulations, Tom. MdC is an excellent soap without doubt, however, there are other soaps that perform equally as well, and one brand in particular I rate even more highly. The soap lathers incredibly easily, a huge plus, yet I don't find the level of protection quite up there, especially when using straights. YMMV.

Congratulations, Tom. MdC is an excellent soap without doubt, however, there are other soaps that perform equally as well, and one brand in particular I rate even more highly. The soap lathers incredibly easily, a huge plus, yet I don't find the level of protection quite up there, especially when using straights. YMMV.

Don't make us guess, what soap do you rate higher? :drool:

Don't make us guess, what soap do you rate higher? :drool:
Only my opinion, goby, of course, but I put Manuel's JabonMan soaps someway in front. Just as easy to lather, excellent protection, great post shave feel, and with a wide range of scents to satisfy everybody. I'm a staunch Harris lover but if I had to choose just one brand of soap for the rest of my life, JabonMan without question for me.

Optometrist I have heard nothing, but great things about JabonMan. Like I said earlier that first shave did not wow me, but the 2nd 3rd, 4th and tonights 5th shave have really impressed me and I can see why people love MdC. My only complaint is the fragrance and it is just not one that appeals to me, yet it does not offend me either (Not enough that I will not use it).

Top Bottom