What's new

MdC Agrumes is great. The others? Meh.

I have been spending the past month enjoying MdC Agrumes -- great performance and great clean fresh scent. So much so that I bought samples of the others to try (all except Fougere as it was out of stock).

I have to say that, while the performance is still great, I really don't like the scents. They all seem to be much heavier than the Agrumes. In fact all the samples smell very similar; with a heavy base scent that seems common and distinguished only by a more subtle fragrance that comes out as you lather. I have to say that I don't like the base scent and I find myself abandoning the samples without finishing them.

Not sure why Agrumes is different but I will continue with that and buy more when it is eventually done. But a hard pass on the other scents.
Any comments on Fougere? Does it share that base scent that you get with Rose, Vetiver, and Original?

You could be picking up on the benzoin resin in those soaps, it's quite noticeable. If I'm not mistaken, the Agrumes does not have any benzoin resin? I've used all of their soaps and still working my way through a tub of Rose, Vetiver, Nature and Agrumes. I will always have a tub of MdC Vetiver and Agrumes in my den! In my experience, the scent of the benzoin resin fades slower than the other fragrance ingredients.

As often: personal preference.

I used Martin de Candre shaving soaps a few years back and my clear favourites were Fougére, followed by the classic version, while Agrumes and Vétyver came last.

I was easy to tell by just looking at which jar was being used up quicker… :biggrin1:

B

I own, use , and really like Fougere.

Recently, I ordered some samples from Maggards,
that included Original and Argumes.

Original, to me, is a more muted Fougere. Very similar.

Argumes, was a bit too heavy on the lemon, for me.
When soaps get too lemon-y for me, they all too closely resemble Joy dish soap to my nose...

I have seen comments that suggest that the samples can be more overpowering with benzoin than the tubs. And that the bezoin fades over time as you use the soap. I am leaving my samples open to the air for a month and will see if that makes a difference. Fingers crossed.

I've used them all and if I were to rank them, Agrumes and Fougere would be my favorites. Rose is definitely my least favorite.

Top Bottom