What's new

MD Barber Straights

Good afternoon, ladys and gentlemen!

Does anybody here have any experience with MD Barber's straight razors?
From just $34:95 you will get a shave ready carbon steel straight razor.
MD0054SRS-2.jpg

Is this just too good to be true, or is it legit?

All I know is that a quality carbon steel straight razor for that price is impossible to find here in Sweden (everything is expensive here), but maybe it is normal in USA?

I don't trust the look of it, nor the price. it doesn't look at first glance glance to be a rebranded Gold Dollar/Chinese blade that should be capable of holding an edge. it's actually got a decent grind/proportions profile for a half, 1/4 hollow. and that makes the "for the low, low price of just $34.95!" more suspect.

the spacer/vs wedge and pivot screw also don't recommend it to me. but... a US buyer wouldn't be out too much to figure it out.

I won't be testing it.

and for the sake of your edification, the plural of lady is ladies. you got the gentlemen right. ain't English fun and easy? you did great otherwise.

They sell them here in the U.S. for the same price. I believe the scales are metal. But I don't know anyone that has tried it and a search here on the forum did not turn anything up. They appear to be in the same price range as the Gold Dollar razors. So I suspect you may need experience in honing to get a good result. Personally, I would pass. You can get a new LeGrelot razor for $130 and know you are not throwing your money out. Here is the link indicating the metal handle:

They sell them here in the U.S. for the same price. I believe the scales are metal. But I don't know anyone that has tried it and a search here on the forum did not turn anything up. They appear to be in the same price range as the Gold Dollar razors. So I suspect you may need experience in honing to get a good result. Here is the link indicating the metal handle:

Thank you, but I have been to their website and read about their razors.
That is why I am asking if anybody has any experience with them.
I was also thinking of rebranded Gold Dollars but they don't look at all like them.
There is no information at all where their razors are made, all they say is they are made of carbon steel.

Wonder if this is out of the same city as the recently “sharpend” model in the Gold Dollar (the ones marked 'Sharpened') edge crumbles away - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gold-dollar-the-ones-marked-sharpened-edge-crumbles-away.615006/

Is the price the thing that attracts you or is it the scales?
To be honest, if I can find a nice shave ready knive for that price I would be very happy.
$35 for a brand spanking new, shave ready, carbon steel straight razor, if it's good it's a real bargain.
And it does look nice as well ;)

Maybe put a WTB in the BST area as that is kind of specific and (you’re right) not much available for that price for new outside a gold dollar or gold monkey. Scales are gonna be mediocre.

For that price, you could get a vintage straight razor off the bay that you know has been used to shave with and it has survived this amount of time.
Yes it might need honing but you know it will last but be careful of the RSO= razor shaped object

But to me that looks very much like it is made in Russia or around that area with having the red star on the scales....

For that price, you could get a vintage straight razor off the bay that you know has been used to shave with and it has survived this amount of time.
Yes it might need honing but you know it will last but be careful of the RSO= razor shaped object

But to me that looks very much like it is made in Russia or around that area with having the red star on the scales....
Absolutely. In fact I just recently bought a vintage Swedish razor from ebay that was actually shave ready, for less than that. Granted, it's not pretty anymore but it shaves. Of course shipping to Sweden is not cheap from the US. Around $20, I think.

I've held a couple razors that looked *very* similar to these, though with some kind of pastoral scene on the scales. They weren't honed, but something just seemed "off" about them.

Agree with the above comments. You are in Sweden, stick to some good old Swedish razors and avoid this kind of crap.
The star is just part of the flag of California.

california-republic-state-flag-authentic-version-retweaked-prints.jpg

I have a few old straight's.
As a Swede I have a few Heljestrand, Jernbolaget, Anton Berg etc...
I was just curious to see if you can buy a brand new straight with good quality for that price.
Some ppl say Gold Dollars for less money can be really good.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
No practical experience with MD Barbers Razor, but a screw for a pivot pin gets my spider senses tingling. I’ve seen guys use interesting hardware when re scaling, but on a mass produced razor it screams RSO to me. Gold Dollar I have purchased new and after considerable effort found them to be highly functional for the low cost. My preference however would be to look for a vintage offering. I get it, sometimes you just want to see what arrives, hoping for the best. Lots of advice steering me away from Gold Dollars too, but my curiosity got the better of me. So, are you going to roll the dice?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I stand corrected my bad, I just see the red star as I did not open the picture up to see but now looking you are correct.
Don't feel bad. It's hard for us that remember the Kalifornia of our youth to see much of a difference from the old USSR, lol.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Looks like a flat spacer instead of a proper wedge, a bad sign. And maybe metal lined scales, another alarm bell. The general shape of the blade says "Pakistani" to me. If you pull the trigger on that, please post your experience with it in detail. Looks like an RSO to me, and I won't risk my money on it, when I can get a decent vintage or several Gold Dollars for the same money.

Once you have checked it out in detail, it might make a good passaround.

thats the california state flag

Top Bottom