What's new

McVeyMac Straight Journal

What a great time with your grandson, Walt! You've created a wonderful memory for him, one that he won't fully appreciate for many years to come probably, but that's OK. Excellent!!

I was thinking exactly the same thing. When I was a teen and my grandfather was showing me how to fix a boat motor or water pump or something, it wasn't that important to me. I now look back on those moments with such a strong sense of nostalgia, I can't even tell you. And if he had ever showed me how to shave with a straight... well, I would be cherishing that forever. You've given him something really, really special, Walt.

Friday, 9-22-2017, Straight Shave #723

Strop: TomoNagura Cotton/Canvas:
Roughly Pre 30 Cotton 30 Linen, Post 30 Cotton to dry the blade, 15 pressure/15 light on linen, then
Tony Miller Heirloom Leather, Pre 80, Post 30 pressure, 30 light, Leather:
Razor: Time Since Last Hone: 31st shave since hone. 28th 2x8x1/2" Black Ark Maintenance post shave.
Hones: Soft, Hard, Translucent and Black Ark progression.
Prep: Shower with MVM Beta 1.0 Orange Bath and Baby Soap for shampoo
Brush: Stirling 26mm Finest Badger
Software: MVM Beta 1.0 Lemongrass and Lavender.
Razor: BRW 7/8" with Ghost Jade
Growth (days): 1.0
Method: 3.0 Pass: 1X N-S/WTG, 2.0X S-N/ATG+. One small pass ATG touchup problems with water on neck/jaw/chin.

Results: Complete BBS nearing grail worthy.

No cuts, one weeper, no irritation.

Remarks: This razor is really holding its own, and is performing magnificently. I was in France all of last week, and was relegated to the Feather AC DX and the ATT S2 slant. Took some shave days off while traveling, and when I returned

Questions: None

Work On: Jnat honing, Ark honing.

Welcome back Walt! You'll have to let us know what the shaving scene is like in France :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately guys, the trip was all business. I had no time to go into town and seek out cool shaving stuff. Thank you all for the well wishes though. Work is still very hectic, and time is short to visit here. I will say that I had three shaves since my last post. One Saturday afternoon that was just a wonderful result on the 1.5 days of growth. One on Monday, and one today. I will post today's shave just to keep up with the shave and maintenance count on the BRW. I am not varying anything these days, and have settled into 3017ing soap and razor. I really now am invested in determining how well this maintenance will work for the long haul. I have to say that I am consistently getting the best shaves of my straight razor shaving life of late, even though I am likely forgetting how to shave with every other razor I own. The daily (or near daily) maintenance on the 2X8 Ark seems to have merit.

Tuesday, 9-26-2017, Straight Shave #726

Strop: TomoNagura Cotton/Canvas:
Roughly Pre 30 Cotton 30 Linen, Post 30 Cotton to dry the blade, 15 pressure/15 light on linen, then
Tony Miller Heirloom Leather, Pre 80, Post 30 pressure, 30 light, Leather:
Razor: Time Since Last Hone: 34th shave since hone. 31st 2x8x1/2" Black Ark Maintenance post shave.
Hones: Soft, Hard, Translucent and Black Ark progression.
Prep: Shower with MVM Beta 1.0 Orange Bath and Baby Soap for shampoo
Brush: Stirling 26mm Finest Badger
Software: MVM Beta 1.2 Last puck of this batch.
Razor: BRW 7/8" with Ghost Jade
Growth (days): 1.0
Method: 3.0 Pass: 1X N-S/WTG, 2.0X S-N/ATG+. One small pass ATG touchup problems with water on neck/jaw/chin.

Results: Complete BBS.

No cuts, no weepers, no irritation.

Remarks: I am completely content in staying with this razor and maintenance combination. I am not sure exactly how long I will keep it up, so no commitments to go for 365 shaves or anything, but the razor is working just fine for me. Yesterday I had a grail worthy shave on 1.5 days of growth, and I really could have skipped a shave today. But I am glad that I went forward anyway. I would have felt like a bum right about now hat I not shaved.

Questions: None

Work On: Jnat honing, Ark honing.

....I really now am invested in determining how well this maintenance will work for the long haul. I have to say that I am consistently getting the best shaves of my straight razor shaving life of late...The daily (or near daily) maintenance on the 2X8 Ark seems to have merit.

Outstanding!

Good to hear the shaves are happening at the highest level. Also good to know the Ark maintenance is working. It makes sense that it might but until you give it a solid try you wouldn’t know for sure. Cool stuff.

Top Bottom