What's new

MB Diogenes Club Soap - Discussion Thread

Great review, and I'm kicking myself for not getting in on this one. Will this soap be a one-time thing just for the group buy (I'm assuming so, because most group buys are)?

Great review, and I'm kicking myself for not getting in on this one. Will this soap be a one-time thing just for the group buy (I'm assuming so, because most group buys are)?

Yes, but I might have a pour or two left over after all is said and done. No promises though at this point.

I used it today and Boy let me tell you the scent is incredible .

Before I opened the package I was able to smell the soap .

Lather was very nice

Sue great work as always thank you . and a big thank you to Seth for organizing this

I received mine, but didn't get to use it yet (fell asleep before shaving last night and woke late this morning...but the shave tonight, with 60 hrs growth, should be quite nice).

The scent from the tub was, however, truly truly great. At first the bergamot definitely dominates (like really concentrated earl grey tea)...sweet tangerine-type smell. Then you pick up that black pepper...which was really nice (IMHO)--very strong, almost feel it in the back opf your nose black pepper...but in a good way! I realized after a few more whiffs that the black pepper is actually combined with the tobacco...which almost smells like a strong room note after smoking a pipe or cigar (one could almost guess what kind of tobacco/cigar the note is so specific...but very muted).

I am looking forward to getting the vanilla scent in there as well (mine did come with the almost waxy layer on top). Also, if Seth's description of the scent from the tub being muted is accurate, then I can't wait to smell the olfactory barrage released from lathering this up tonight!

Great work MB, and thanks so much Seth for organizing this whole thing!

I received mine as well (thanks Seth!!!) and have used it twice now.

However, I must have received the unscented version. :crying:

I swear I smell nothing more than a hint of something floral. No pepper, no pipe/cigar tobacco, no nothing.

I was hoping by the second use the soap would have "warmed up" and released its scent, but nada.

By contrast, all the scents of my TGQ soaps leap out at me as if to mug me!!! The same for my Tyrwhitt Lemon & Cedar Cream, my GFT Rose Cream, etc...meaning, it's not my nose.

I will be curious to see if there are others with the same experience, or did I hit the lottery all by myself.:confused1

I received mine (thanks Seth!!!), shaved with it this morning, but was incredibly foolish in my choice of razors and cannot properly evaluate its performance. I had honed a batch of straights and used the recalcitrant one, hoping that I had it dialed in this time. It's not dialed in. I'll use it again with a different razor tomorrow and post.

The smell is potent and complex. I suspect it will grow on me.

I received mine as well (thanks Seth!!!) and have used it twice now.

I swear I smell nothing more than a hint of something floral. No pepper, no pipe/cigar tobacco, no nothing.

I was hoping by the second use the soap would have "warmed up" and released its scent, but nada.

By contrast, all the scents of my TGQ soaps leap out at me as if to mug me!!! The same for my Tyrwhitt Lemon & Cedar Cream, my GFT Rose Cream, etc...meaning, it's not my nose.

I will be curious to see if there are others with the same experience, or did I hit the lottery all by myself.:confused1

Hmm... the skin on your soap might be really thick.

The first time I got the puck I filled the container with the hottest water I could get out of the tap and let it soak for 5 minutes before going at the puck with my brush. The scent really started to kick in then. The only floral I get out of mine is the bergamot.

I got mine today! Tomorrow, I think, The Chubby will meet...no that don't sound right!

I will try out the Diogenes with the CH1 tomorrow. The scent, upon opening, is phenomenal! If it gets stronger (ie better), I will be amazed.

Thanks Seth and Mama Bear for an outstanding combination.

Now, all I need is the Bathtub Gin!

Hmm... the skin on your soap might be really thick.

The first time I got the puck I filled the container with the hottest water I could get out of the tap and let it soak for 5 minutes before going at the puck with my brush. The scent really started to kick in then. The only floral I get out of mine is the bergamot.

I tried it, but it didn't work. I left the hot water in the container for at least 10 minutes, pummeled the soap with my brush - the soap does make great lather - but no scent at all.

Back in Momma Bear's laboratory, I'm picturing a big caldren of soap bubbling away, then poured into each of the white containers. So I can't figure out why my soap doesn't stink like everyone else's!!!

Should I throw the container into the microwave?

As a consolation I opened the lid of my HBS Yuzu - now that almost knocked me off my feet!

I tried it, but it didn't work. I left the hot water in the container for at least 10 minutes, pummeled the soap with my brush - the soap does make great lather - but no scent at all.

Back in Momma Bear's laboratory, I'm picturing a big caldren of soap bubbling away, then poured into each of the white containers. So I can't figure out why my soap doesn't stink like everyone else's!!!

Should I throw the container into the microwave?

As a consolation I opened the lid of my HBS Yuzu - now that almost knocked me off my feet!

Strange.....

Is it clear or an off yellow colored puck? You might want to contact MB via PM about this.

Strange.....

Is it clear or an off yellow colored puck? You might want to contact MB via PM about this.

The color is closer to light amber than off-yellow...definitely not clear.

Based on this info, I should contact MB...right?

Sorry to be such a downer on what sounds like a great-scented soap.

Ok, your puck is the right color then. Contact MB via PM and then see what she wants you to do. You may send it back to me and I can send it back to her or she might have another suggestion for you to try.

I'm not trying to duck out on customer service, I just don't know what to do in the face of a potentially bad puck.

Could it be you've become anosmic to DC's particular notes? I've known people for whom certain scents fail to register, whether by inundation or age or poor luck.

If you have the chance, you might seek out Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme - the edt has a lot of the same notes as Diogenes Club. Not a match, mind you, but the bergamot and tobacco are both present. Just get a sniff (don't buy the bottle!) and see if the edt registers. If you don't get much from D&G, then your soap's probably good and your sniffer just doesn't catch those notes. Just a possibility.

Could it be you've become anosmic to DC's particular notes? I've known people for whom certain scents fail to register, whether by inundation or age or poor luck.

If you have the chance, you might seek out Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme - the edt has a lot of the same notes as Diogenes Club. Not a match, mind you, but the bergamot and tobacco are both present. Just get a sniff (don't buy the bottle!) and see if the edt registers. If you don't get much from D&G, then your soap's probably good and your sniffer just doesn't catch those notes. Just a possibility.

That's what I was thinking too... *everybody* has one scent that they simply cannot smell. My girlfriend, for all the effort she may put into it, absolutely cannot smell lavender soaps. I haven't found mine yet, but I have a really bad sense of smell to begin with that I've just recently begun to train with all these great shaving products.

I think Thomas' suggestion is most likely the case. I find it hard to believe that a substance that was cooked in a large amount and then individually seperated out into individual packages can produce a singular non-scented puck. Seeing as how this is an isolated case, it's most probable that there's nothing wrong, unless others are having the same thing go on.

Seeing as how this was a one time special thing that Sue did for us, I would, instead of having her make together a special small batch for you (which would probably be costly), smell the D&G and then, if it's the case you can't really register that smell, sell it to someone on the board here... I'm positive there'll be takers.

Seth, please know I am posting my experience just to throw it out there. I do not hold you responsible at all!!!!

I will try the D&G Pour Homme sniff test next chance I get, to make sure the scent registers. However, I will say that my TGQ Cavendish Black puck is dynamite!!

Sadly, I tried the soap again and I get nothing. I jam my nose into the jar, and nothing happens - except a shiny nose!! I think the plastic jar smells better than my soap.

Seth, you have a PM.

Top Bottom