What's new

Maybe there is Hope

I have struggled to find the correct technique for the GEM style razor. I have three pristine GEMs (G-Bar, Every-Ready 1924, MMOC) but last week I threw in the towel and said "GEM's" you are "out of here". So I wrote up the listing for BST took photos and decided that this weekend I would sell.
These are three really good looking inexpensive razors. Since GEM's have a great B&B following I decided this morning to give it one last try (face and head). I went with the G-Bar because my friends on B&B indicated that the G-Bar would be the most friendly for a beginner.
I cannot identify if it is just time, improved technique or I just paid more attention this morning than in past shaves, but I accomplished a nice shave. 10 hours later and still smooth. I did some minor clean-up with a G injector in a couple of tight spots that I was not ready to trust the G Bar or my skill just yet.
I think I saved my 3 GEM's from BST. Another trial next week with the Ever-Ready. If that goes well maybe I can advance to the well-loved B&B MMOC.
This experience does make the point that sometimes we do not give a new razor enough time.
All 3.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The razor on the left is a 1912 possibly but I do not see a ER 1924 (shovel head) among the 3 of them. The 1912 is a great razor and were you screw in the handle to the head you should see a stamp 1912. Once you get your technique dialed in you will enjoy the 1912 a lot more. I found it easy to find the sweet spot, all I did was lay it flat against the face and slowly tilt with short strokes till you hear whiskers being cut. Also take short strokes at first until your more comfortable. Gem Razor Models
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

Lots of used razors do not come with user manuals and the preferred technique. The first couple of shaves with a Brand new GEM Personna SS PTFE are a little harsh because the blade is one of the sharpest on the planet. Just as sharp as a Feather IMO but last a lot longer.(the blade gets better as the # of shaves increase)
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif
Have some great shaves!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I completely get that ambivalence. I've got some nice Gems -- ranging from Jr. Bar to MMOC. I find for head shaving most of them go so far and no farther. Then I get a little grumpy and threaten to get rid of them, so I give them a good cleaning and put them aside. After a while I'll grab one again and it's just enough different from last time that I'll assume my technique is changing, or maybe I had a good lather that day.

I have a couple of the modern "Gem-ish" razors. The PAA Starling V2 OC is probably my favourite razor though you'd be hard pressed to figure that after all the complaining I've done about it. The ATT G1 shows me some interesting possibilities. Possibly this winter I'll finally get around to trying the mods I want to try for it. I have been waiting for that idea to settle in my head -- I have a hard time taking a file to anything that costs more than I typically have in my pocket.

O.H.

I spent the first two weeks of September using my injectors, so I’ll be using my Gem and Ever Ready razors during the second half. I also have a PAA Starling V2 and get excellent shaves from it. I’ll be sure to use it at least a couple of times before the month is out.

Wait! I almost forgot about my Kampfe lather catcher. I’ll need to hone up the blade for it. It’s one of those wedge blades and it will shave. I use it sparingly, but it’s always an adventure!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It took me a long time to really learn the MMOC. Now several months later, its the best shaver I own.

Top Bottom