What's new

Maybe I'll learn something.

There are two cuts that are worse than I originally thought. They are going to need more time to heal. If I shave tomorrow it will be with my Timeless Bronze .38 SB. I know it best and it tends to be more mild than my other razors. I could also do the Karve C SB plate maybe. We shall see. I also like the idea of mowing it down with one of the News anyway.

IMG_20211017_070639.jpg

SOC-OCtober 20th

Old Spice uber lather (Shulton soap, India Cream, Glycerin)
SOC Cherry Wood Boar
CC Copper Bowl
Gillette New Short Comb
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless (21)
Shulton Old Spice After Shave and Cologne
P&B Night Witch Post Shave Lotion (smells like Old Spice) + Hyaluronic Acid

DFS+ 9.8/10

I let my face heal for five days. Everything was healed but a bump on my chin. I was worried about shaving it off, but, no cuts today. I was torn between using the Short Comb, and, taking part in Wolfman Wednesday. I decided to stick to my guns and shave with the New. Good shave. First pass mowing down five days growth could have been more comfortable, but, three passes and I achieved a very fine DFS+. My neck is really smooth. The unobtainium blade two is still kicking with no end in sight. Very satisfying shave.

IMG_20211021_075138.jpg

SOC-OCtober 21st

Face wash with PAA Mentholated Cube
SOC Ash Wood Finest Badger
SV Desert Vetiver soap & splash
Gillette New Short Comb
Clean up pass Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless (22)
Alum
Witch Hazel
Brickell Instant Relief Balm

DFS+ 9.8/10

I have been a little disappointed with the New SC. I have played with the angle. I have tweaked my passes. Today I did multiple passes ATG from the start. Finally after three passes I was not happy, so I did clean up with my new Wolfman WR2 1.15. Not open comb, but, three passes counts right? In hind sight, I could have grabbed the New De Luxe or Timeless Bronze.

I have only used the Wolfman once before today. I just got the TI Timeless Crown handle for it in, and, wanted to try it. Last time I massacred my face using the Razorock Barber Pole SS handle. It felt a lot better with the TI Crown. Not sure how it will feel with a WRH2 solid. I am going watch BST for one in both solid and hollow. I want at least a month of use before I decide if I want to keep the 1.15 or order the 1.25 I am down for. Again I was struck with the feeling that with this razor I could reach BBS with some practice. How much work it will take remains to be seen.

Tomorrow I'm going to go back to the New De Luxe. I only gave it three days, and, those three shaves were better than what I have had with the New Short Comb. I still need to try a shallow angle with it, though I doubt that will do the trick. Steep angle just feels more natural, and, works with my other razors. I want to like the New SC. I really do, but, so far I haven't been very efficent with it. I'll come back to i. I really liked the De Luxe, and, I want to compare them again. I may do a side by side with them at some point.

The unobtainium blade keeps on trucking. Still smooth. No tugging like from the first blade after 12 shaves. Blade two has already surpassed it, and, if the number of shaves others are getting with them are any indication, it won't stop soon. I ordered 20 Polish Wizamet Super Iridiums to try. I just heard how good they were yesterday and saw some availible and had to jump on it. If these Stainless blades are this good, I can't wait to see how my normal blade does in vintage.

Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver in 4.3 was great. I followed the FLM and got copious amounts of slick and protective lather. I'm going to use it for a few days, I think, to get it dialed in. I want to see what this soap is capable of. I already rank it up with my top soaps. The splash and Frag are nice too. Not sure if I like the scent of this or Felce Aromatica better, but, they are both lovely.

As far as the balm goes I really like Brickell Instant Relief After Shave. It already has hyaluronic acid in it so no adding it. It is supposed to be unscented, but, I do notice it. After a strong splash like Desert Vetiver it doesn't interfere though. I think it is my current favorite balm and I can really tell a difference in my skin post shave. It is expensive so I got the smaller bottle, but, a little goes a long way. Next time I will get the bigger bottle.

IMG_20211021_212345.jpg

OCtober 22nd

Shower face wash with PAA Mentholated Cube
Rudy Vey 2019 B&B LE Manchurian
CC Copper Bowl
SV Desert Vetiver soap, splash, frag
Gillette New De Luxe Criterion
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless (23)
Alum
Witch Hazel
Brickell Instant Relief balm

DFS+ 9.8 No blood and no irritation

Same software set up today. Still had to much product at the end. Need to dial it in. Lather is really luxurious. Love the Desert Vetiver scent. I think I like it more than Felce Aromatica. Used the Brickell Balm again. This stuff is great. I like that it already has hyaluronic acid in it.

Going back with the New De Luxe, I am again struck by how much more efficient I am with it. My neck is BBS, except in the hollow where my jaw meets my neck near the ear where I can't shave ATG. No t sure I could smooth that spot completely. My mustache and soul patch area are DFS. I have problems in these areas too.

Overall it was a great shave. Alum gave some feedback on my neck, as did the alcohol heavy SV splash. Still after the balm, my face feels wonderful.

The unobtainium blade performed exactly as it has for the previous 23 shaves. Smooth and sharp. After these and a conversation about 80's Wizamet Super Iridiums, (or is it Iridium Super) I found 20 from 83 and ordered. I can't wait to try them. I am impressed with Polish blades so far. I also got 10 English Wilkinson Swords plus 5 each of Gillette Spoilers and Schick Plus Platinums. I just wanted to try some vintage blades while they are availble.

I PIFed all my sample packs. I kept Wizamet Super Iridium and Super-Max Blue Diamond Titainium in bulk, and a tuck or two from some of the more common blades. I got one Kai to make a shim with to try with my WR2 1.15.

I am looking forward to trying it on for real. I botched my first run. it was so effiecent that I shaved off three bumps without realizing. one on my chin is still red. I shaved off the top layer of skin the last two days. It doesn't hurt or bleed so I don't mind it. I don't want to skip shaving to let it heal completely, and, it just gets more red as my beard grows through it.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 1350176
OCtober 22nd

Shower face wash with PAA Mentholated Cube
Rudy Vey 2019 B&B LE Manchurian
CC Copper Bowl
SV Desert Vetiver soap, splash, frag
Gillette New De Luxe Criterion
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless (23)
Alum
Witch Hazel
Brickell Instant Relief balm

DFS+ 9.8 No blood and no irritation

Same software set up today. Still had to much product at the end. Need to dial it in. Lather is really luxurious. Love the Desert Vetiver scent. I think I like it more than Felce Aromatica. Used the Brickell Balm again. This stuff is great. I like that it already has hyaluronic acid in it.

Going back with the New De Luxe, I am again struck by how much more efficient I am with it. My neck is BBS, except in the hollow where my jaw meets my neck near the ear where I can't shave ATG. No t sure I could smooth that spot completely. My mustache and soul patch area are DFS. I have problems in these areas too.

Overall it was a great shave. Alum gave some feedback on my neck, as did the alcohol heavy SV splash. Still after the balm, my face feels wonderful.

The unobtainium blade performed exactly as it has for the previous 23 shaves. Smooth and sharp. After these and a conversation about 80's Wizamet Super Iridiums, (or is it Iridium Super) I found 20 from 83 and ordered. I can't wait to try them. I am impressed with Polish blades so far. I also got 10 English Wilkinson Swords plus 5 each of Gillette Spoilers and Schick Plus Platinums. I just wanted to try some vintage blades while they are availble.

I PIFed all my sample packs. I kept Wizamet Super Iridium and Super-Max Blue Diamond Titainium in bulk, and a tuck or two from some of the more common blades. I got one Kai to make a shim with to try with my WR2 1.15.

I am looking forward to trying it on for real. I botched my first run. it was so effiecent that I shaved off three bumps without realizing. one on my chin is still red. I shaved off the top layer of skin the last two days. It doesn't hurt or bleed so I don't mind it. I don't want to skip shaving to let it heal completely, and, it just gets more red as my beard grows through it.
Planing off a little face for future better shaves is a good idea. I highly recommend and encourage it. :w00t:

Preshave
October 23rd

PAA Mentholated Cube in the shower
BrushShavemac 26/54mm Fan Two Band Silvertip
BowlCC Copper
SoapSV Desert Vetiver
Razor 1Gillette New De Luxe Criterion WTG
Razor 2Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB XTG, XTG, ATG
BladeWizamet Polsilver Stainless (24)
Post ShaveAlum followed by Witch Hazel
After ShaveSV Desert Vetiver AS
BalmBrickell Instant Relief AS
FragSV Desert Vetiver EdP
RatingDFS+ 9.8/10 No irritation or blood

I had every intention of shaving with the New De Luxe this morning. After a disappointing first pass, I thought to myself, "You know I have a Wolfman." I loaded my Unobtainium blade into my WR2 1.15 and went to town. My neck is so close to BBS, around my face DFS, with more noticeable stubble around my mouth and chin. I need to work on my facial contortions I think.The WR2 is very smooth. I am going to use the 1.15 for a while and then shim it to emulate a 1.25. I am not really enthused to snip off the edges of a razor blade. I just have a sense of foreboding that it will go sideways somehow. Like flying razor edges or something. This is currently the best shave I am capable of. The New De Luxe specializes in mowing down 48 hours or more. Maybe it would be different if I could forget about my new Wolfman, but, I keep reaching for it to finish the shave. SO I think I will give in and just start using it daily already. I have had fun with the open combs, but, the WR2 is the better experience. The De Luxe is nice for something different. I still want one in Gold that I can replate. The New SC is a good candidate, but, I haven't enjoyed the shaves as much as with the De Luxe. Unfortunately My Criterion is Chrome. So I am on the hunt. I see a nice Lady Gillette New De Luxe set on the Bay. I am watching there and Etsy. Most people want an arm and a leg for them, so I have to watch for one.

So, 24 shaves for the Unobtainium blade two. It is still sharp and smooth, no tugging. I doubt I will take part in another blade PIF for a while. I have three more of these, not to mention the other vintage and contemporary blades I have I want to try. I don't care about stretching a blades life. I just see no reason to throw a blade out when it hasn't degraded. I can still shave comfortably, so why not keep going. The quality of my shaves has been great. Very little alum feedback and no blood. All with the efficiency of the WR2 and the Polsilver Stainless.

The SV lather today was dialed in a bit better today. After four passes plus cleanup, I had enough lather for one more pass. I am impressed with the 4.3 beta soap base. I don't know what version my Felce Aromatica is. I have had it a few years. I know it is a previous base. It too has good lather qualities. I would have to use them each for at least a week straight each to tell I think. I don't reach for the Felce often. I have such a large selection of soaps it takes a while to come back to one. I have my favorite scents as well. The Desert Vetiver checks both boxes, scent and performance. I have a Lavender heavy frag that should be here Monday, so I will use the Cyril R. Salter on Tuesday to try the frag and the AOS balm I just got.

Last edited:
SOCtober 24th

PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube /PAA The Tube
BrushSOC Cherry Wood Boar
BowlCC Copper
SoapCyril R. Salter hard soap
RazorWolfman WR2 1.15 SB with Timeless TI Crown
BladeWizamet Polsilver Stainless (25)
Post ShaveAlu, Witch Hazel
After ShaveVintage Yardley
BalmAOS Lavender Balm + Hyaluronic Acid
FragVintage Caron Pour Un Homme EdT
RatingDFS 9.7/10 No blood and no irritation

Today was my first complete shave with the WR2 1.15. Not quite as close as the clean up passes with it the last few days, but, just a little less.I did a four pass shave with no buffing or clean up. I wanted to see how it would perform without pushing it. Not bad. Tomorrow I will try a little harder. I want to get my neck with it's swirls and around my mouth, the underside of my chin, and, soul patch as smooth as I can. There are a few small places on my neck that are extremely hard to shave ATG. Try as I might these places always just allude me, as do the others I listed. I originally wanted a 1.25, but, when a 1.15 head became available I thought I would take a chance. After all, you can't shim down. I am not sure my abilities paired with the 1.15 will achieve my goals. I will make a go of it before starting my shim experiment. I need practice.

I think I will give the Cyril R. Salter a few days to dial in like I did with the SV. The lather was okay, but, by the fourth pass, I had to relather midway through. I think I started with too wet a brush, which surprised me, because I squeezed and shook it like I normally do. Still the soap foamed up immediately while I was loading. I have used it a few times now and I will have to go back to my notes, to see if I mentioned it before. Pleasant scent though.

The Caron Pour Un Homme and the AOS Balm complement each other and pair with the soap nicely. The Yardley after shave I am not so sure about. It isn't bad, I just don't get any Lavender from it, which I thought I would. I am a scent junkie, but, I am not skilled at picking out notes and describing them. The Pour Un Homme is in such little bottles and hard to measure out so I ordered some atomizers. Another reason to stick with the CRS a few days, though I may wait until they are here to use this line up again. Then again I could wait until next week and give this week to Hallows and Old Spice to use the P&B Night Witch balm since, both are Halloween seasonals.

Last edited:
Since Yardley is not as lavender forward as everything else, I want the Pour Un Homme in the after shave. Now I'm confused. The after shave came as a spray, and, the EdT came as a splash. Either way it is a nice match with the balm and soap.

Oct 26th
PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube
BrushSOC Ash Wood Finest Badger
BowlCC Copper
SoapB&M Hallows Soft Heart base
RazorWolfman WR2 1.15 SB
BladeWizamet Polsilver Stainless (26)
After ShaveB&M Hallows Splash
BalmB&M Hallows Balm
FragB&M Hallows Frag
RatingDFS+ 9.7/10 No irritation and One nick

Hallows shave with Soft Heart base this time. No itchiness that I had with Hallows Excelsior base. Maybe it was something else. I will try again with the Excelsior. I took two days growth down with the WR2 1.15. My neck is pretty smooth for the most part. My chin, soul patch, and, upper lip could be better. Next week I will add the shim to try 1.25. It was a good shave. I didn't chase BBS which I wouldn't achieve anyway. Alum gave very little feedback. There was no irritation, though I did get a small nick going ATG on the underside of my chin. The Unobtainium blade performed stellar once again. I got my Wizamet Iridium Supers made in Poland yesterday. I really want to shave with one of those and see how long they last. If the Stainless is any indication I see good things for my favored blade in it's vintage incarnation. Then again, I also want to try my other vintage blades. Patience was never one of my virtues.

OCtober 27th
PreshavePAA The Tube
BrushRudy Vey 26mm Jade Samurai Fan two band silvertip
BowlCC Copper
SoapFine Lavender Pour Homme
RazorKarve CB OC F plate
BladeWizamet Polsilver Stainless (27)
After ShaveFine Lavender Pour Homme
FragVintage Caron Pour Un Homme
RatingDFS+ 9.8 No blood, no irritation

I forgot it was Wednesday. Oh well, My Karve F plate OC arrived today so I gave it it's inaugural shave. Very nice. The Karve with the Unobtainium blade performed admirably. Very close DFS+. My neck has been getting smoother than ever before lately. Blade 2 is still trucking. I think I will get bored of it before it deteriorates. I haven't noticed any drop off in sharpness. I can see why these were popular blades. Fine Classic soap base is excellent. I was talking about them being the same soap base as tallow Tabac, and, a guy in the thread asked if they were really the same, saying he had heard there were doubts. First I have heard, but, I don't care enough to research it. It is a wonderful soap base. If it is not the same as Tabac it is just as epic, and, with better scents. I really like Lavender Pour Homme. It is a shame they did away with that scent. I stocked up. I wish I had tried it sooner. I am really liking the vintage frag. Caron Pour Un Homme pairs well with my lavender soaps and after shaves. I ordered the afters shave spray yesterday. I will use that with Cyril R. Salter and maybe Fine as well. I like the fine scent in the soap more than in the splash. Originally I wanted to get the C&S Oxford and Cambridge frag, but, I prefer the Caron scent.

Last edited:
IMG_20211028_123628.jpg

Oct 28th
PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube
BrushRudy Vey 2019 B&B LE Manchurian
BowlCC Copper
SoapFine Lavender Pour Homme
RazorGillette Bulldog Old Type
BladeWizamet Polsilver Stainless (28)
After ShaveFine Lavender Pour Homme
FragCaron Pour Un Homme
RatingDFS+ 9.8 No blood, no irritation

My Bulldog Old Type arrived very early. Dip in the ultra sonic and barbicide. Left to dry and then it was shave worthy. So much smoother than I remember my gimpy handle Old Type being when I first started. Very close comfortable shave. Alum barely registered. The Bulldog is in pretty good shape. One tooth slightly bent, and some light pitting on the top plate. I am hoping that comes out with light polishing. For being over a hundred, I think it has held up remarkably well, and, worth what I paid for it. More of the same from Unobtainium blade 2. Sharp and smooth. Decided to stick to the same software line up from yesterday. I wish I would have known I would like Lavender this much, much sooner. The AOS balm is okay. Adding the hyaluronic acid helps, but, my face feels tacky. I may end up using the Brickell Instant Relief instead in the future. It is pricey but worth it. I like it better than B&M's balm which was my favorite. I used my favorite brush today my Rudy Vey Manchurian. I love the long handle, the knot, and everything about it. All in all today's shave was just pleasant. If you had told me a month ago I would enjoy the shave from an Old Type this much I would have doubted your sanity. I had never had a good shave with an open comb, and, the OLD Type was one of the worst. I think it was damaged, but, what has changed the most is me. My technique has come a long way. I still not satisfied with where I am technique wise, but, I can get smooth comfortable close shaves with just about anything I try now.

Nov 01
Preshave

PAA Mentholated Cube/PAA The Tube
BrushShavemac 26/54mm Fan Two Band Silvertip
BowlCC Copper
SoapSV Desert Vetiver
RazorWolfman WR2 1.15 SB
BladeGillette 7 O’clock Yellow (2)
Post ShaveAlum followed by Witch hazel
After ShaveSV Desert Vetiver
BalmBrickell Instant Relief
FragSV Desert Vetiver
RatingDFS+ 9.8/10 No irritation

I didn't shave over the weekend so I could mow it down today. I used a 7 O'clock yellow that I only ran once to compare to the unobtainium blades sharpness. I'm going to give it at least one more go before switching back to the Polsilver Stainless. I played with the angle a bit today. Still steep, but, I felt the blade more which I am hoping means I got it right. I will need to adjust pressure. There was some blood today, but, the alum was virtually feedback less. Very good DFS+ today. My neck is darn near BBS territory, and, around my mouth and under my chin is closer than normal. A very good shave. I will use the WR2 exclusively this week. Next week I may shim it up to 1.25. I want to try 1.35 as well, though I doubt that will be my Goldilocks gap.

SV Desert Vetiver is wonderful stuff. Great lather, and, a scent to die for. I am glad I got the whole set. I got the shower gel instead of the soap, so that I wouldn't mix it up with my Felce Aromatica. I need to load less. I had a bunch of lather after three passes. I did say I would stick with it for a while to dial it in. Maybe I'll do that this week. I tend to rotate daily, but, maybe it is better to do weekly rotations instead. This is a good week to start since I wanted to use it again tomorrow anyway.

Nov 05
PreshavePAA Mentholated Cube/PAA The Tube
BrushRudy Vey 26mm Fan Two Band Silvertip Jade Samurai
BowlCC Copper
SoapSV Desert Vetiver
RazorWolfman WR2 1.15 SB
BladeGillette 7 O’clock Yellow (3)
Post ShaveAlum followed by Witch hazel
After ShaveSV Desert Vetiver
BalmBrickell Instant Relief
FragSV Desert Vetiver
RatingDFS+ 9.7 experimented and there was blood. Very close to BBS

Haven't felt like doing much of anything this week. Stayed in and vegged out. I have to go out today to get some BST shipments out, and, turn in a stool sample for my cat. With that being the case I mowed down four days beard with the WR2 1.15. Sometimes I wonder if other people would consider my DFS+ to be a BBS. My neck is getting closer. As are my soul patch, chin, and, upper lip. I am playing with advanced strokes. They help get me closer, but, I invariably end up with weepers and nicks. The Gillette 7 O'clock yellow is sharper than my Polsilver Stainless. I think next shave I will go back to it. The whole point of using the 7 O'clock Yellow was to see if the unobtainium blade was loosing sharpness, but, I think the Yellow is sharper from the get go. I'm going to keep working on my shave. Despite the blood and some alum feedback, I had a good shave.

The WR2 1.15 is definitely my current favorite razor. It is the only razor I want to use. My name should be coming up on the Wolfman list any day now. I want a complete razor. The Timeless TI Crown handle is good, but, I do like some heft, and, I want to see what it is like to use a handle it was designed to sit on. I am probably going to get a 1.25, but, people singing the praises of the 1.35 have been getting my attention. I think it is time to start shimming to see what the two gaps are like.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Prayers for your cat’s good health.

As for the gap, there are two thoughts I suggest entertaining:

The 1.15 took down four days of stubble without seeming to fight you, so you’re more than all set in terms of high prestige and higher performance - maybe a hollow steel steel handle from Wolfman for the heft and matchy-matchy of it all

1.85! Take down five months of stubble with one pass

Thanks for the thoughts. She is seems healthy, but, she has lost a pound in six months, so they want to check.
The 1.15 is very efficient, but, I still haven't achieved a BBS. I have never understood the extreme high gaps. I think 1.65 is as high as they are offering. It is enough, though not sure it would be so simple to hack off a full beard. I would probably slice my face off. The 1.15 already bites if I am not careful. As to the handle, I am thinking solid instead of hollow.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Here’s hoping the kitty cat is okay or able to be remedied.

With a hollow handle, you could stuff it with tungsten putty and have an even heavier handle than a solid steel one. And since tungsten is also known as wolfram, it’d be perfecto.

Would a WR1 head be more efficient for you?

IMG_20211107_092458.jpg

Nov 07 21
Preshave

PAA Mentholated Cube
BrushSOC Cherry Wood Boar
BowlCC Copper
SoapOld Spice uber lather
RazorGillette 1917 Bulldog
BladeGillette 7 O’clock Yellow (4)
Post ShaveAlum
After ShaveShulton Old Spice
BalmP&B Night Witch + ISC Hyaluronic Acid
FragShulton Old Spice Cologne
RatingDFS+ 9.7 Very close but there was blood

Sunday old school shave. Shulton Old Spice and the Bulldog. The 7 O'clock Yellow is a good pairing with the Bulldog, but, I need to work on my technique with it. I had a very close satisfying shave though.

Top Bottom