What's new

Maybe I should rethink the Glock 20

Yeah there's a reason that most anti-bear patrols I've read about cart 12ga. shotties loaded with slugs around. Ain't much that will take a well placed shot from one of those and retain any will or ability to keep moving. Still good to have a sidearm for backup though.

I failed to mention it earlier, for close in and powerful, I think my old Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70, with a Leupold scout scope, 2.5x with a lot of eye relief so you can acutally shoot it with both eyes open, Thick reticule makes it good for lower light conditions. It's handy and hard hitting, on both ends.

AD565F6F-EE12-4DEF-9840-DE0CB7F71363.jpeg
No Buffalo Bore. But I did find some of these. Never have seen them in a handgun caliber. Used them successfully in my .30-30 and .45-70 Henry lever rifles. Think this’ll work for bear in a 4” S&W .44???

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
No real life experience with the above Hornady loads, but I'd lean more towards hard cast, heavy, flat large meplat bullets, at least in a hand gun caliber. The assumption being that you are engaging at close range in an emergent situation with a handgun. I would think that the pointed polymer tips were intended for longer range ballistic advantage as fired from a rifle at soft skinned game.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd think for bear you'd want maximum penetration. They are THICK so not too many pistol rounds are going to get through a bear even with max penetration.

Top Bottom