What's new

Maybe I should give up on trying to buy US artisans shipping rates are ridiculous

Hi all

I'm Europe based and tried to buy some US artisan soaps but maybe I should give up because of the crazy shipping rates too bad really for example Mike's naturals $32 shipping cost
Soap commander $26

I would love to try these soap but $30 on top of the $15 soap is just ridiculous, guess I'll have to stick with euro soap vendors

Hi, I am from Malaysia and I envy shavers staying at both the US and UK. You can get good quality soaps and aftershaves. I am still able to get good soaps from the US through Maggard as they offer the best shipping rates usually for 2 full soaps at around USD11.50. Recently received a few soaps (Stirling) and just bought the Kaizen and Peach & Cognac. I have to wait patiently for their stocks to come in though. Usually, towards the end of the year, Maggard will offer shipping discounts. Last year there was a 50% and 70% discount offer on shipping. I am unable to get aftershaves...

I would love to get some soaps from the UK too...especially matching aftershaves. Shipping from the UK was very reasonable to my place using The English Shaving company at a flat rate of only 4 pounds but that all changed now to double the cost. Still reasonable. I am targeting their sales and will get some P&B plus The Goodfellas Smile soaps.

You can buy from a place like Maggard's. They have a big selection and shipping costs that are based on the actual shipping rates. Get on their email newsletter. Several times a year, they have in the past run specials with discounted international shipping once you meet a minimum purchase cost.

Hi all

I'm Europe based and tried to buy some US artisan soaps but maybe I should give up because of the crazy shipping rates too bad really for example Mike's naturals $32 shipping cost
Soap commander $26

I would love to try these soap but $30 on top of the $15 soap is just ridiculous, guess I'll have to stick with euro soap vendors
I don't blame you at all. One thing to look out for is that there are some UK and European vendors that carry American brands like Stirling, PAA, and possibly a few others.

I don't blame you at all. One thing to look out for is that there are some UK and European vendors that carry American brands like Stirling, PAA, and possibly a few others.
Yes Barrister & mann, A&E, Stirling are relatively easy to get in Europe its smaller soap makers such as Soap commander, ethos and Mike's naturals that have sky high shipping rates guess I'll have to leave them aside for now

The cost of the first ounce cross border parcel (= not a flat, containg merch) really has gone up dramatically the last 5yrs or so, now u can't touch anything for <$15 as a parcel and the next tier for >8oz is like $25 min up to nearly $40 for some countries, crazy stuff. I can remember as recently as 2015 paying <$10 for a razor alone in the mail to the EU from the US just from the counter rate, and it has a barcode that worked for that low rate in quite a few destinatino countries. From the shipper's end it really must cost them that much logistics to take on that little thing to its last mile.

Maybe try Eufros, I had a sample in a package I got from another member here and it was one of the best lather. Idk where to get it but I think it's in Europe.
Yes already contacted Manuel from eufros which is based in Spain, but just as Frank lipani from ethos soaps is a serious hassle to get an order in I might give it a try though price incl shipping is about €30 about $35

Top of the Chain in Canada has fairly reasonable international rates and they stock just about all of the top US artisan brands.

If you just want to try them, get samples from Shavedash. If you decide you want full soaps later, then Maggards is the way to go.

Agree with this...

Yes Barrister & mann, A&E, Stirling are relatively easy to get in Europe its smaller soap makers such as Soap commander, ethos and Mike's naturals that have sky high shipping rates guess I'll have to leave them aside for now

Maggard Razors sells Soap Commander and Mike’s Natural soaps, so it’s just a matter of keeping an eye on when the scents you’re after are in stock. I find there is usually a bit of a wait with Mike’s, as he doesn’t make all his soaps all the time, and his batches are quite small.
Maggard Razors have the option to register for an email reminder when a particular product is back in stock, which I find quite useful.
Even though they’ve recently increased their shipping costs slightly, I find they’re still the best for US artisan soaps.

As some people mentioned, they have various discounts and offers every few months (they just had 11% off across the site for 36 hours at the beginning of the week). They’ll certainly have some for Thanksgiving/ Black Friday, etc

I might be wrong, but, as far as I know, Ethos is currently only available in the US. You have to order via email (similar to Eufros), and he won’t ship outside the US yet.
It might change when he has his website up and running...

Last edited:
I hate the feeling of giving up on the small American artisan soap makers for something they cannot control. Two weeks ago I was looking at purchasing 3 soaps from a small artisan that were on sale for $18 and then clicked the shipping and it would cost an additional $32 dollars. Sad to say but I was no longer interested. My last product purchased from the US took 45 days to arrive from Washington state and I live in Alberta, Canada. Google maps says I could have walked there and back in less time (if the boarders were open and my legs were up to the challenge, but you get the point). I have a Simpson brush on the way from the UK that I am still waiting on and it is day 40. I hate to practice isolationism but in the future I think all my purchases will be from Canadian storefronts because this is ridiculous. Again this is not something that is the vendors fault but just how it is.

Mikes and Wholly Kaw are worth it IMO I’m happy to forgive the rest. Maggards isn’t too bad on shipping if you are happy to wait. Italy has a huge range of top tier soaps so you are well served in Europe. There are also the ever popular Germans Tabac and Speik that belong in every den.

International shipping is just super expensive unless you do large enough volume to drop your rates. This is where companies like Maggard come into play.
Just checked Maggard and must say they are reasonable ordered B&M waves and stirling executive man for $40 shipping included thx for the tip 👍

Thx! Everyone for coping up with my complain 😁 I went with Maggard for some soaps let's see how long it takes before it gets here oh and also contacted Manuel from eufros for one of his blends

We ship often overseas, most commonly our lather bowls. The bowl itself costs $30.00. We charge $24.00 shipping which used to cover what it cost. It no longer does. I see now that to ship a bowl costs me $26.36 but we are still only charging the $24.00 so that is going to have to go up.

Like a relative of mine is fond of saying, "It is what it is..."

At the end of the day the vendors and consumers are all feeling the impact of limited stock and increases in shipping.
This is just another reason why it makes sense to stock up when you see items on sale. At least this is how I justify my purchases to my lovely wife. 😁

Top Bottom