What's new

Maybe Flipping Works

Is that what the numbers on the blade mean?
The numbers on blades are for determining, if a fault is found, which machinery piece might be at fault. Without numbers, top/bottom/right/left can't be determined once hands might have turned/flipped them.

@AimlessWanderer,

Nice illustration.

I think when I reach the limit on my current blade, I'm going to try laying the blade flat and polishing it lightly with some steel wool I have left over from sweating some copper pipe. I might even try electroplating it with copper just for fun to protect the edge.

So if it indeed does work (which IMO it doesn't) then why do SE blades last so long? Think about it.

SE blades don't last long. I get about 5 quality SE shaves with my tough old whiskers. But the injector blades definitely last longer, 15 to 20 shaves. For comparison a DE blade (without flipping) lasts me about 7 days.

SE blades don't last long. I get about 5 quality SE shaves with my tough old whiskers. But the injector blades definitely last longer, 15 to 20 shaves. For comparison a DE blade (without flipping) lasts me about 7 days.

By SE I meant injector, AC & traditional SE blades. I only use injector of those three as well.

No need to rotate, just flip.

I rotate the razor in use anyway, and use both edges. So both edges get used, but one half gets more use, and therefore more wear, than the other.

Here's a spent blade out of the spent blades pot, which I've added colour to. As the blade is used, one side of each edge gets more worn (marked red) leaving the other half sharper (marked green). Spinning the razor around, just does exactly the same to the other side.

View attachment 950787

Taking the blade out, flipping it over, and putting it back in, brings the sharper parts on the blade into the area where the most use is. This evens out the wear across the two halves of each edge, and gives me a few more shaves per blade.

View attachment 950789

So for me, blade flipping works due to the asymmetrical wear I put on the edge. I only do this when the edge seems to be fading and struggling against the grain, and keep going till the other half gets as worn. As some of the shave routine uses the whole blade, it doesn't double the life of the edge, but if I flipped a dulling blade at shave ten, I might get another three to five shaves from it.

I'm going to propose a different hypothesis. I don't think the soap residue behind the bevel is an indication of wear. It may only be an indication of soap residue. I have 15 shaves on the blade below. I cleaned it with a wet, but not dripping, microfiber washcloth.

upload_2019-2-9_6-17-56.png

In my opinion the dark matter on the bevel is a mixture of mostly whiskers and soap residue. It may be a trick of lighting because I can't see that much residue with my naked eye. I think I'll try to rejuvenate one of my binned blades. From now on, I'm going to write the number of shaves I got on a binned blade with a Sharpie.

Meanwhile, tomorrow it's back to Barbasol for two weeks.

Well now we know that dark matter has been hiding on razor blades all along. :001_302:

I never flip DEs, they are just too cheap to bother. However, I just completed shave # 21 on a Proline and it's still going strong. Maybe it's my technique or maybe it's the flipping, but this is certainly interesting.

I'm about done with this blade. 25 shaves on a Proline, flipping every 3 or 4 shaves. The blade is noticeably smoother after each flip and it did last longer. Time to put the Vector down and revisit my DEs for awhile. It's been fun.

Y'all are flipping crazy!

Just wanted to say that. No opinion of whether it actually works. My mind says no, but haven't tried it, and am sure there are factors I'm not taking into account.

Well tried it today, and I have to say, flipping does do something. I had a Gem SS(8), that I tried flipping today. It was horrible! Flipped it back over. It was fine!. So flipping does do something. I'll have to try daily flipping once I start a fresh blade.

Well tried it today, and I have to say, flipping does do something. I had a Gem SS(8), that I tried flipping today. It was horrible! Flipped it back over. It was fine!. So flipping does do something. I'll have to try daily flipping once I start a fresh blade.

Maybe each blade has a good side and a bad side.

Top Bottom